HTP or CD wicks?

I have used Htp and Cd wicks for different size containers and my results always vary. I can't get a good ideal of which wicks to use and I'm becoming frustrated. Do you need to change wicks with each fragrance, if you are using the same wax each time? I know you need to use different wick sizes for different container sizes, but I would like to get with one kind of wick and stay with it. Any suggestions are appreciated!!:cheesy2:

This is the photo gallery...

Any wick can flicker if it's not happy... I use CDs and CDNs and this is not a problem except when there's something wrong with the FO, the particular wax formula I'm using (if I am playing around) or there's a draft. I do not change the type wicks I use to suit a particular FO. The FO has to work with my system, or it ends up on the "reject" shelf. Once I have the wicking down for a particular container, I really have to LOVE a fragrance to even change the size...

Some folks continually chase their tails trying to "make" every FO work in their wax. To heck with that! There are too many wonderful FOs out there and different sources for FOs to stay stuck on a temperamental one. When one is new, this may be a tough call, but once you understand wicking and what works best for your container, stick with it. If you have trouble with too many FOs, you might want to test a different wick at that point. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

Some folks continually chase their tails trying to "make" every FO work in their wax. To heck with that! There are too many wonderful FOs out there and different sources for FOs to stay stuck on a temperamental one. When one is new, this may be a tough call, but once you understand wicking and what works best for your container, stick with it. If you have trouble with too many FOs, you might want to test a different wick at that point. HTH

I think I am going to try and embody this. I have so many different sets, even how far apart to wick if they are double or triple wicked. With over 300 scents tested (and around 120 I found acceptable) this is a LOT of information to remember or even have written down. Its beginning to not become worth it. I have to say around 80 of them are all the 'same' wick/jar/concentration formula. Maybe I'll just keep it there and release the rest.

I chased my tail on this for a while and finally caught it! I settled on HTP wicks for "light" scents and cotton wicks for "heavy" scents. I even use two different waxes. I no longer have to try a lot of different combos to wick a scent but it did take a while to narrow my options down to the two that I like best, HTP and Premier wicks. Originally I tested every kind of wick I could get my hands on, but that was my learning process. I'm satisfied with the mix of wicks/wax I use for now. I keep my formulas recorded in a spreadsheet and also on index cards for convenience.

This is the photo gallery...

I do not change the type wicks I use to suit a particular FO. The FO has to work with my system, or it ends up on the "reject" shelf. Once I have the wicking down for a particular container, I really have to LOVE a fragrance to even change the size...

I refuse to let wicks control the FOs I pour. Every 6 oz tin we make in 6006+ or 223+ uses either a CD 7 or 8 or a Performa 120 or 100 for heavy, spicey FOs. 4 wicks let me pour anything I want. We pour about 2000 to 5000 tins annually depending on how many FundRaisers we do. Bug

I chased my tail on this for a while and finally caught it! I settled on HTP wicks for "light" scents and cotton wicks for "heavy" scents. I even use two different waxes. I no longer have to try a lot of different combos to wick a scent but it did take a while to narrow my options down to the two that I like best, HTP and Premier wicks. Originally I tested every kind of wick I could get my hands on, but that was my learning process. I'm satisfied with the mix of wicks/wax I use for now. I keep my formulas recorded in a spreadsheet and also on index cards for convenience.

By "cotton wicks" do you mean cotton core? I am thinking no because Premier and HTP are both flat cotton braid but HTP has the paper interweave. I don't know much about the Premier wicks.

By "cotton wicks" do you mean cotton core? I am thinking no because Premier and HTP are both flat cotton braid but HTP has the paper interweave. I don't know much about the Premier wicks.

By "cotton wicks", I mean I have used an assortment of cotton wicks with different attributes. Some are cotton core, some are not. I use the LX wicks, Peak's cotton wicks, and the Premier wicks. When I first started making candles, the LX and Peak's cottons were readily available. I have tried other cottons and cotton cores but they did not work for me (Eco, RRD, A&P cottons). I find the Premier mushroom the least for me with heavy FOs. Since I don't want to have too many kinds of wicks, I will eventually retest using Premier wicks, the scents which I currently wick with LX wicks and Peak's cottons. I think that like Bugtussle, I will eventually settle on just a handful of wicks that work for all my FO's in the size jar I use. I expect if I change jars, I will have to wick up, but I expect to stay with the same type of wick. You can get samples of the Premier wicks from Aztec or Coal Creek Candle. HTH