Help layering votives

HI ALL!!

Just wanted to say HELLO!! I am a super beginner at candle making.. these forums and posts have been very helpful--THANK YOU!! I am also new at the whole forum thing, so there's probably an answer to my q's, but I cant seem them.

I used to sell candles from a huge company and then decided that I don't want to sell what someone else wants me too, I'll work on making my own :grin2:. So far I have purchased 2 kits, a votive kit and a soy container kit. Both seem to be pretty awesome! Do you think the kits are the way to go to get started? Oh, and I have recently attempted to layer a set of votives.. I guess they turned out good to the eye, but they're not what I was going for. I wanted red on the bottom and white on the top but what I got was red on the bottom and pink on the top :undecided. I used IGI-4794 Votive Blend Wax that came in my kit, I fragranced both bottom and top layers, I only colored the bottom.. I figured the wax is white by itself. I read that you should let the bottom layer harden, but not all the way. I let it set for a while, until the molds were less than warm. What did I do wrong?

-Gina

Welcome to the addiction! :)

Do you think the kits are the way to go to get started?

I'm not a big fan of kits, but many enjoy them as a place to start.

I wanted red on the bottom and white on the top but what I got was red on the bottom and pink on the top

I don't pour paraffin, so I can't speak to how layered paraffin votives should be poured. Obviously you did not allow enough time for the preceding layer to harden and the new layer melted and mixed with the old layer.

To layer soy wax votives, allow the top to become hard enough to support the next layer without melting through - it doesn't have to be completely set all the way through and should still be warm. I don't pour layers at a higher temp because I don't want the new layer to melt the previous layer - only stick to it. Each succeeding layer will take a little more cooling time to allow the previous layers to cool to the point where the newer layer will not cause a melt-through of the previous ones. This takes playing with it to learn just the right touch...

For now, your best bet is to learn how to pour a high quality solid colored votive before going on to more advanced techniques. HAVE FUN!! :)

Not much to add to @Stellas excellent advice, but I'll say that it's a fine line, temperature wise & you really need to watch your thermometer... & remember ambient temperature will play a part too. Also, I have found red dye in particular, is very prone to leeching or bleeding. I've used blocks & liquid & have found this to be the case in my experience. I think kits are a great way to start out! They end up saving you a fair amount of money whilst giving you a good "grounding".

Good Luck & Have Fun!! =)

I do use pariffin, and Stella is still right like SparkmeUp said - it's all about timing and learning the "right" time takes practice. Cooled enough that it won't bleed, but warm enough stick together - you'll have some "ooppss" while you learn, but you'll get it! Kits are a good way to get a basic feel for it, but beleive us - you'll go through several pounds of wax before you get a system perfected. So, if with the kit you've decided this is what you want to do, "Welcome to the Addiction!"

IGI-4794 Votive Blend Wax is a great wax and you will do well with it. I have made a few layered votives and it is a little challenging due to their smaller size and fast cooling. Adding the hot second layer will remelt and disturb the first layer a little so pour as gently as possible and not all in the same spot.

An easy way to do the white on top: pour a very very thin "buffer" layer over the red. Just enough to cover the red. It will turn a pinkish color, but when it skins off all the way (still smooshy, but not liquid, if that makes sense) and then you can pour white over the top. I have do this with some of the votives I do wholesale for a local store. It works for us. You pour the buffer layer on top of the red when it skins off enough that you can push on the top lightly, but not punch through the skin.

An easy way to do the white on top: pour a very very thin "buffer" layer over the red. Just enough to cover the red. It will turn a pinkish color, but when it skins off all the way (still smooshy, but not liquid, if that makes sense) and then you can pour white over the top. I have do this with some of the votives I do wholesale for a local store. It works for us. You pour the buffer layer on top of the red when it skins off enough that you can push on the top lightly, but not punch through the skin.

Agreed. You can also pour down the side of the mold steady and slow (easy), but not painstakingly slow and fill your mold with the rest of your wax. Typically wax is white, but sometimes there will be a fragrance that will muck up the coloring. Another trick is to take one of those flexible cold compress things that you can freeze and wrap that around your molds just to cool the wax if you see the color starting to migrate. It only takes about 20-30 seconds to work, but if you ever try it, do it on something bigger than a votive.

Hi Gina and welcome!!

I have been pouring votives for 10 years. I started with a votive kit also!! Good way to begin! First of all a heat gun will be your Best friend in the world..Go to walmart and

buy one. Pour your first color and let it set up well, if the edges begin to pull away, it's okay because you will zap the top with you HG, have your next color ready and pour.

They will blend slightly and you want that so they layers adhere to each other, but won't blend enough to mix your colors. It will take practice. I took to molded candles like

a duck to water so mostly came out nicely for me. I just "felt" it right away.

When you have finished with your votives. Let them cool completely. If you have trouble getting them out of the molds, roll the molds with pressure between your hands,

if you need to stick them in the freezer for a couple mins, but not more than that! The wax will crack and you will have to start over. This image shows that I put a white layer in

between the red and green, even though they layers bled into it I was still very happy, because you don't want to have them pulling apart. Been there, done that! LOL!

Molded candles are the Best!! Have fun and Practice!! :)

post-307-139458486668_thumb.jpg