First Timer Here!

I ordered the starter kit from Peak and I got crystal wax. How do I measure that? I'm very illiterate when it comes to math. What's the best way to measure? :confused:Also, if I put the votives in the fridge after the inital pour, will that hurt anything? Don't really have time to wait 3 hours before the repour. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Welcome!

You will find that patience is needed in candle making :D

I know there are some that put their candles in the fridge, but I just let them cool on their own. I did the fridge method a few times when I first started, but after forgetting them more than I'd like to admit, I realized all I was doing was making more work for myself. They will crack if left in the cold to long, then you have to remelt and start all over, not worth it to me.

You need a scale to weigh the wax. 8 oz for 1/2 lb. and 16 oz for 1 lb. Wax is measured by weight, so just filling up a 8 oz measuring cup won't get you 8 oz of weighed wax, if that makes sense. If you're going to be making candles, it really helps to have a scale along with patience :grin2:

Good luck.

You said you are new to this and also said you need these by Friday, are you giving these to people? If so you need to do lots of testing before giving them away. Testing has to be one of the worst things about candlemaking but it comes with the territory..LOL:p

About refrigerating the votives after the inital pour, Ive done it before but you want to make sure the mold is warm when you do the repour otherwise the top will look rustic and the wax will not adhere to the first layer.

Post pics after you made the candles, we would love to see your work.:)

Thanks that was very helpful. I'm in a hurry because I need to make quite a few by Fri. and don't have enough hours in the day. I know I know, should have started earlier. Thanks again.

I suggest you go buy some candles, or choose something else. Candlemaking is not an "easy" craft. Major misconception is pour the wax into something, throw a wick and Voila!! Sooooo wrong. First you have to figure out what you want your candle to do, and what you want out of it. Secondly you have to test and test and test it to be sure it is doing just that. You dont want to pour a candle to give as a gift and then burn thier house down do you?

I did not think so. There is so much effort, time ,money, and patience given into candlemaking. If you just HAVE to give a handpoured candle, I would suggest checking out some of the member websites here. (Like mine :wink2: ) and get one that is produced with quality. At least until you have time to really get into it. HTH

Thanks that was very helpful. I'm in a hurry because I need to make quite a few by Fri. and don't have enough hours in the day. I know I know, should have started earlier. Thanks again.

Yup, like a couple months ago :shocked2: No offense intended, but it's not that easy, simple or fast. It takes a lot of time, effort, testing and patience to make a good candle. If you don't have time to wait on a repour, then you definately don't have time to learn how to make a proper and good burning candle. That's good advice from Tess, buy some ;)

Just wanted to add: Yes, putting them in the fridge can hurt them. Sometimes we will chill them to get them out of the mold a bit sooner, but that's after they're made. If you chill it too quickly, it's likely to form a shell on top too fast and create a canyon hidden underneath. And fireballs from those canyons aren't pretty. Ok, they're pretty cool looking, but not safe!

Well welcome to the board.

Just a few things. Educate yourself on what you're doing. Taking short cuts often doesn't get you to the finish any faster. I'd think if you didn't now how to measure crystals, that would be a great starting point ... figuring out how to measure.

And heck if you're gunning to save time, just pop your votives in the freezer :tongue2::rolleyes: You come to a candle board to ask people who make these to give you the answers. So when they set off some type of bomb or disappoint the people you gave them to are you coming back to rip us cuz it didn't work? Perhaps this is a craft you think is just about melting wax, adding fragrance and throwing in something to make it burn. If that's what you think, you can buy them cheaper than need be. Lord help the professional candlemakers, especially in Texas, who do this for income.

- Lord help the professional candlemakers, especially in Texas, who do this for income.

Girl you have NO IDEA how many peeps come to my booth looking for FREE candlemaking 101!!! I dont worry about it though!! Peeps who just want to get rich quick, just end up making my product look that much better. No threat to my pocket book!! :D