Burnt Wick Smell?

I'm testing Autumn Spice Cake with 4630 and HTP wicks. Burn is good, big mushroom, but the weird thing is that after a little while it smells like burnt wick and I have to put it out. I have never experienced this before. Any thoughts?

I have had a lot of fragrances with the HTP smell burnt and I use soy- 464 and had very little mushroom

I have found the spice FO's and the Fruits to be the worst- I dont understand it but it happens to me to- BUT they burned better than the CD's in several other fragrances like pink sugar and lavender

I have had a lot of fragrances with the HTP smell burnt and I use soy- 464 and had very little mushroom

I have found the spice FO's and the Fruits to be the worst- I dont understand it but it happens to me to- BUT they burned better than the CD's in several other fragrances like pink sugar and lavender

That's interesting. This is the first time it has happened to me. Do you have better results with other wick types?

That's interesting. This is the first time it has happened to me. Do you have better results with other wick types?

I have the best results with the CD wicks- I still test all new fragrances with the HTP but in most cases the CD is the one that comes out the winner- I am now retesting alot of them with the CDN and I am really liking these wicks so far!

It is strange how the htp can smell burnt- the FO's it does work in for me I love them- the burn on them is awesome

I have never tried making paraffin candles but it is interesting that it happened to you and me with completely different waxes

I am burning a 4630 container candle right now, 6 oz, 2.5" diameter with an HTP93 and the FO is Vanilla Amber. Smells great and no burnt aroma. My main wicks for the 4630 are LX but I do try the HTPs too. It may happen to me one day.

I use 4630 and HTP wicks for a number of scents, and this is the first time I have noticed this. I will try this scent with my cottons and see what happens.

I have the best results with the CD wicks- I still test all new fragrances with the HTP but in most cases the CD is the one that comes out the winner- I am now retesting alot of them with the CDN and I am really liking these wicks so far!

It is strange how the htp can smell burnt- the FO's it does work in for me I love them- the burn on them is awesome

I have never tried making paraffin candles but it is interesting that it happened to you and me with completely different waxes

I was under the impressions that CD and HTP were pretty much the same kind of wick, but you are saying that you have different results? Or the difference is in the CDN wick? I tried a few CDN wicks but did not get what I was looking for. I also like the LX and Peak's cotton wicks, but my favorite cotton is the Premier wick. Less mushrooming than all my other wicks. :cheesy2:

Well, the description of the wick sounds somewhat similar in that they are both flat braid wicks with paper fibers but they are made by different companies so undoubtedly they are different. Atkins & Pearce HTP wick is flat braided in design, but with thin paper fibers intertwined. Heinz Stabilo & Stabilo KST Wicks, "formerly known as CD and CDN wicks respectively, the Stabilo and Stabilo KST wicks are coreless, non-directional, flat braided wicks with a special paper filament woven around them".

CD and CDN are different in that the CDNs have "been treated with a special patent-pending process to resist the corrosive action of the acidic nature of natural-based candle waxes". I have read elsewhere that the burn properties of these two wicks (CD vs. CDN) are slightly different in that one can use a size smaller CDN than CD but I have not tried the comparison so that is just secondhand info.

I'll have to try the CD wicks in 4630 and see how they compare, I have been using them exclusively for soy.

In 464 I have very different results with Cd vs. HTP- but I was mainly meaning the CDN is a big difference from the CD in the way it burns and throws scent in the soy wax- it does make a difference...so far in the few I have tested

With the HTP's I also run into the wick curling under itself in that it keeps extinguishing- but I also use a very difficult jar- 8 ounce square mason

With paraffin I am sure you have completely different results but it is odd that you have experienced the burnt smell also- I thought I was losing my mind and lost my sense of smell altogether! LOL

I've used HTP and 4630 and no problems. The only time they shroom too much is if I overload the FO and go above 9 percent. I'm assuming you didn't do that since you've been making candles for a long time. Are you adding any other oils like mineral or coconut oil? Maybe the FO is blended differently from other FO's that you regularly get?

I've used HTP and 4630 and no problems. The only time they shroom too much is if I overload the FO and go above 9 percent. I'm assuming you didn't do that since you've been making candles for a long time. Are you adding any other oils like mineral or coconut oil? Maybe the FO is blended differently from other FO's that you regularly get?

I get mushrooms if I am using a very "heavy" FO. I'm using 6% FO. I don't have any other additives except a few drops of liquid dye. I will say that I have not tested many FO's from this supplier so it could be something different in the FO.

In 464 I have very different results with Cd vs. HTP- but I was mainly meaning the CDN is a big difference from the CD in the way it burns and throws scent in the soy wax- it does make a difference...so far in the few I have tested

With the HTP's I also run into the wick curling under itself in that it keeps extinguishing- but I also use a very difficult jar- 8 ounce square mason

With paraffin I am sure you have completely different results but it is odd that you have experienced the burnt smell also- I thought I was losing my mind and lost my sense of smell altogether! LOL

Ha! I thought I was losing my mind too! I have some CDN samples but I did not test with them a lot because they still mushroomed for me with heavy FO. I'm going to try this FO with my cottons and I will post back.