The Candlefind

I read all the time whenever the gals put up reveiws how they all comment how quickly the candles get a real quick melt pool. They seem to look for that and always post it as if it is a positive thing. And I notice how they accentuate how some of the companies how well the jars are very clean burning with no wax residue left on the sides of the glass as the candle burns down. I know we all wish for see thru clear sides of the glass showing no residue but that is not always the case. Does everyones candles here burn like that? I just got an email of another review of a pretty nice company who they just commented on and of which Candlefind stated that you have to keep clipping the double wicks of the quick 1/2" melt pool. They also stated that the jars get rather hot, but the overall perfomance was they were one of the best candle companies out there with beautiful scents. I've been wanting to buy one of these candles as they seem so beautiful the scents. But was just curious how others here on the board feel about these comments made by Candlefind.

Trappeur

I think this is a consumer expectation. My GF wants to smell the candle all over the room within a half hour. She says the Yankme brand (Brand Y) does that and wants to know why mine don't. After they get going for an hour or so, she says mine are stronger. So the difference is indeed how fast the MP forms. Mine won't burn her when she picks them up. In all fairness, Brand Y probably won't either. But the hot ones described above will.

So I think achieving a wide MP quickly is important and the only way I can see this is to play with the wax until the candle unit is right, and not overwicking to get there faster.

achieving a wide MP quickly is important

Roadapples! A quarter sized MP will start throwing like crazy. Customers may expect lots of stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make a crappy candle to suit them! A soy candle that hits FMP during the first test burn is going to be trouble later on and that's a fact you can't escape.

Roadapples! A quarter sized MP will start throwing like crazy. Customers may expect lots of stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make a crappy candle to suit them! A soy candle that hits FMP during the first test burn is going to be trouble later on and that's a fact you can't escape.

I had another post going that you replied to Stella about FMP too quick and I was grateful, and now that you mention it. I burned another candle a few weeks ago that the MP came on fast but at the last 3rd of the burn, the melt pool was VERY deep at the 3 hour mark that when my wax set up -- my wick was leaned so far over I never burned it again :( Thinking of that finally made it "click" what happens at the end of a burn! Thanks again!

From what I understand, Candlefind is a reviewer of candles that no one actually purchases. From what I have read on their Facebook page, it appears that candlemakers ship thier product to Candlefind free of cost, and let them distribute the candles for review. Does anyone have any further information? I just haven't taken them seriously, even though they have written stellar reviews of candles I have seen on this forum. Anyone have any personal experience here?

Regarding the melt pool issue...you both have me confused. Don't waxes generally melt at different rates? And additives, etc, have an effect on the rate? How could this ever be generalized?

I'm curious where this tread will go. Heading to FB to check out Candlefind again; I think they are a thread I subscribe to.

Best to all,

Brandy

Regarding the melt pool issue...you both have me confused. Don't waxes generally melt at different rates? And additives, etc, have an effect on the rate? How could this ever be generalized?

This is where wick type & size come in... If a wick is burning hot enough to achieve FMP during the first burn, then it's a good bet it will be too hot as the candle buns down into the container where the temperatures become much hotter.

This is where wick type & size come in... If a wick is burning hot enough to achieve FMP during the first burn, then it's a good bet it will be too hot as the candle buns down into the container where the temperatures become much hotter.

Geez, thanks. I was all confused on this mental hell day ( I should have taken a personal day!). I thought I was reading that wrong. I actually have an example to add; I was testing tealights today...I know the average for soy is 6 or 7 hours. I lit one at 10 am and by 4:30 pm had to extinguish, as the wick needed trimming. I always stress a max burn of four hours; so I'm retesting (about the 40'th time!} to ensure the exact time. If only people would read the warning labels...

Thanks again for your info.

Best,

Brandy