Measuring, pouring, weighing FO's???

Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering too! Made a big mess last time when I poured from a 16-oz. bottle instead of the 1-oz. ones I had previously just poured in without measuring. Been too busy with a new baby to make any candles lately though. I was thinking, next time I might just use a spoon to measure out the fo. Looking forward to reading everybody else's methods!

I love the pour spouts that come with some FOs. Peak sells them. Pretty sure NG isn't giving them away any more. What I need is one that covers a wide mouthed five-gallon jug as it dispensed about 2 ozs of FO all over my scale.

Me too! Let me know if you find such a thing.

I like the spout lids as well, but if I have a really full bottle without a spout, I use a trick that my dad showed me. Get a skewer like the type used for making kebobs, and hold one end of it against the FO opening, while aiming the other end at your pouring pitcher. You don't want to use the whole skewer, just a few inches of if. Also, the skewer should be positioned towards the bottom of the opening where the FO will touch as its coming out. Than slowly pour your FO into the pitcher, allowing the FO to run down the skewers and into your pitcher.

Have to have the pour spouts!!! They are cheap from Peak. Then you do as tamese said. Always measure - even the "1 oz" bottles - they are usually off and if you don't weight it you won't know how much you are actually using when making notes so you can replicate (or not) your results.

Have to have the pour spouts!!! They are cheap from Peak. Then you do as tamese said. Always measure - even the "1 oz" bottles - they are usually off and if you don't weight it you won't know how much you are actually using when making notes so you can replicate (or not) your results.

I looked on Peaks site but didn't see them.

I had the same problem and actually asked.this very question. The spout lids don't fit every bottle so I use plastic pipettes to transfer the oil from the large bottles to my measuring cup which is a little plastic dixie style cup. Just be careful not to pour too far in advance or the oil eats the cup, lol. I buy the pipettes from eBay and I believe some suppliers sell them. They come in a couple sizes and no more mess. HTH.

Syringes! BUT... (& isn't there always a "but"!?) the rubber stopper inside sometimes perishes after time, so they aren't something you can keep & re-use indefinately. I buy 5mls. in bulk from the pharmacy, without the needles. I was thinking I'd try pipettes, as @megandgarr has said... I could probably afford to piff them then, when I'm done.

I also really like what you have suggested @catlin! Your dad is a smart cookie ;) Think I might try that, next time I'm stuck- cheers!

You will learn how to do this neatly eventually because pouring is a skill that improves over time when done over and over again. If you are pouring less than 1 oz. of FO at a time, the minute quantities can be nerve racking. Pour slowly. I use flip tops on most of my FOs, but have no problem with dripping when I pour slowly from the bottle. I put a pour pot on my scale, tare, and pour the FO directly into the pour pot so none is ever wasted on a measuring glass, etc. The FO is weighed and ready for me to add dye and prewarm before adding my wax. Having a drip run down the side is exceedingly rare for me and usually indicates I'm not paying attention (or a cat just crawled up my bare leg). Practice this skill with water or cooking oil until you get it right.

I quit using shot classes, etc. many years ago. Waste of time and FO. I NEVER use anything made from cheap plastic in contact with FO (such as Dixie bathroom cups). The FO starts melting the plastic immediately and I don't want ANY of whatever it dissolves in my candles. If I used pipettes, I would use glass ones, not plastic, but I'm too cheap to waste the FO that sticks to the sides of a pipette!

Edited by Stella1952