Comfrey Root in CP Soap

Jeana

It gives a lovely green color in soap. I've only done infused because I don't like the scratchy feel of flakes or even ground spices in soap. Here's what I do:

1 tbsp ground or powdered comfrey

4oz oil (doesn't really matter which oil you use, I use olive)

You can double, triple, make as much as you want.

Heat infusion: Place in mason jar and seal. Place jar either in pot of water on low heat (water even with height of oil) or place in a crock pot on low. If you are going to do it on the stove top, you HAVE to watch it and add water as it evaporates. I heat infuse for 6 to 8 hours, sometimes more, depending on the herb or spice I am infusing.

After infusing, strain through a coffee filter into a clean jar.

Cold Infusion: Place comfrey and oil in jar, shake up. Allow to sit 3 or 4 weeks, shaking jar often. More shaking is better than less.

Strain through coffee filter into clean jar..

As far as usage, that really depends on the green you are going for. Darker, use more. I would start about about 15% of total oils. Too dark, use less, not dark enough, use more.

I thought it was supposed to color more of a purple? Green is good too though. Do you have any pictures of your soap colored with comfrey?

The bag I have has large chunks, does the powder infuse better in the oil? If I don't have to powder it would save a step.

As far as herbal qualities surviving in lye, if they stay, great, if not, I have a new natural colorant. That's good enough for me.

Has anyone used it as a tea? I've used teas many times with some very good results, just wondering how this would turn out.