French Soap

chuck_35550

Making French milled soap involves a special manufacturing process that includes passing a soap base through steel rollers. The result is a dense, long-lasting bar. Although real French milled soap is a commercial product, a homemade version exists

French milled soap begins with crystals made from previously manufactured soap. The crystals go through a pair of stainless steel rollers known as a French mill.

The milling process turns the mixture into a fine paste and makes the soap mixture smooth and homogeneous. It also removes glycerin, which would stick to the rollers.

The French milling process ensures that each bar is consistent in color, fragrance and texture. True French milled soap is factory-made. French milled soap is sometimes called "triple milled" because the soap mixture passes through the steel rollers at least three times before it is molded into bars or cakes.

Rebatching, or hand milling, is the handmade equivalent of French milled soap. Soap makers melt shredded or diced soap pieces in a liquid and pour the mixture into molds to harden.

I'm posting a French Milled recipe in the BB section.

Edited by chuck_35550

Making French milled soap involves a special manufacturing process that includes passing a soap base through steel rollers. The result is a dense, long-lasting bar. Although real French milled soap is a commercial product, a homemade version exists

French milled soap begins with crystals made from previously manufactured soap. The crystals go through a pair of stainless steel rollers known as a French mill.

The milling process turns the mixture into a fine paste and makes the soap mixture smooth and homogeneous. It also removes glycerin, which would stick to the rollers.

The French milling process ensures that each bar is consistent in color, fragrance and texture. True French milled soap is factory-made. French milled soap is sometimes called "triple milled" because the soap mixture passes through the steel rollers at least three times before it is molded into bars or cakes.

Rebatching, or hand milling, is the handmade equivalent of French milled soap. Soap makers melt shredded or diced soap pieces in a liquid and pour the mixture into molds to harden.

I'm posting a French Milled recipe in the BB section.

chuck....are you saying I can buy rebatched soap, add a few ingredients of my own and not have to do the lye thing myself? I'll go check out your B&B post. That would be wonderful.

No. This was in response to Irena. Yes, french milled is factory made and not handmade. The French are world renowned for soapmaking and this process goes back quite a way but it is not the same as rebatching. The French milled version of rebatching is the recipe that is posted on BB. I have to say that the lather on this soap is unbelievably rich and the lavender is exquisite with real lavender incorporated in the bar (don't care much for stuff in my soap). You still have to use lye to make the soap and then add the extra ingredients as you rebatch or french mill rebatch the soap. Did I get that right Irena? HTH

Steve