Melting and re-melting?

Hello! I'm new new new new new! This xmas I'll be getting my present of candle making supplies and was curious how many times you can melt and pour wax. For the practice is why I ask. I was thinking without adding dye and scent and just keep using the wax to learn melting and pouring, so re-melting wax (kinda to save money). Or should I just go with it and practice it all by experimenting with dyes and scent and once I make a candle that's it don't re-melt it? :yay:I'm excited. Love these forums btw.

I think one can melt and remelt wax quite a few times and you should get that part of the process down fairly fast. The harder part is getting the burn right. So maybe it would be more worthwhile burning the candles and trying different wick/color/fragrance combinations?

Nice to see you are so excited =D

Depending on how many wicks you have, you could practice melting & pouring a few times before you add dye or fragrance, but I think as @rjdaines has said, you will get the melt & pour thing pretty fast.

Good Luck!! Have Fun!!

=)

Edited by spark-me-up

A lot of people retest the same candle using different wicks. If you use a wick pin you can insert a wick into a candle. Test it and if you don't like it pull it out and try a different wick.

They look like this: http://store.lonestarcandlesupply.com/search.aspx?keyword=wick%20pins. Scroll down to where it shows the wick pins. About halfway down the page.

I am happy too that you are excited about making candles. I am not sure about what type of wax your beginning with. The beauty of candle making is that if you get the wick size wrong then you can remelt the wax and do it over again. A lot of my layers for my container candles are from remelted wax. Well the left over wax from my creations. I hope you enjoy this craft as much as everyone here does. good luck to you and hope to see some of your creations soon. I am not sure how many times the scent will hold up while remelting.

I am happy too that you are excited about making candles. I am not sure about what type of wax your beginning with. The beauty of candle making is that if you get the wick size wrong then you can remelt the wax and do it over again. A lot of my layers for my container candles are from remelted wax. Well the left over wax from my creations. I hope you enjoy this craft as much as everyone here does. good luck to you and hope to see some of your creations soon. I am not sure how many times the scent will hold up while remelting.

You can? I'm happy to hear that! So, if I make some duds, I can set them in the oven and melt the wax, then pour it into my pour pot and repour it into containers with different wicks? Or I can add more FO if the HT was weak?

You can? I'm happy to hear that! So, if I make some duds, I can set them in the oven and melt the wax, then pour it into my pour pot and repour it into containers with different wicks? Or I can add more FO if the HT was weak?

If you are testing for wick size don't add more FO or it will throw off your test, because the amount of FO added can change your wick size.

A lot of people retest the same candle using different wicks. If you use a wick pin you can insert a wick into a candle. Test it and if you don't like it pull it out and try a different wick.

They look like this: http://store.lonestarcandlesupply.com/search.aspx?keyword=wick%20pins. Scroll down to where it shows the wick pins. About halfway down the page.

Ohhhh great idea!

Those are for pillars, but if doing containers you could pour the container with a wick you think will work. If it doesn't you can pull it with a pliers and insert another into the same whole. If you like the way that one burned, then make a brand new tester and test that wick from start to finish.

I wouldn't set the dud candles in the over, but melt them with a double boiler or sealed burner...