EBC's Tres Leches Base...

Lorraine

I have looked at this base time and time again and would like to try it while their sale event is on.....does anyone use this base? Will you kindly tell me something about it? Is it soft like WSP's? I currently use SFIC (only for myself and family) because I like a hard bar of soap, however, I find the SFIC very drying and helped that by following Praire Annie's and Candybee's soap recipes (many thanks for sharing!) I was wondering if this soap base is moisturizing so that I could just add some fragrance and be done with it! Don't get me wrong, I love to play with soap and additives, etc... but there are times when I would just like a single bar of soap in a certain fragrance without all the fuss! I would really appreciate any reviews! Thanks for any help here!

There was a discussion where Smallwhitedogs commented on the Tres Leches base: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?97880-SFIC-Base-Suggestions-Tips-Creative-Concotions&highlight=tres+leches

I have only used the EBC white base and it was soft but good quality and nice white color. Its easy to harden a base by adding additives that harden soap; olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, palm stearic, beeswax. I used CO, OO, and stearic in EBC bases and they work great to harden the soap. But if you use to much you'll compromise the lather. So test out how much until you find what works.

Also, their soap event is an ongoing sale. It allows customers to buy more base in bulk quantities. The bases come in 20 lb blocks poured directly into the shipping box. You have to cut up yourself. Personally I don't mind cutting it up and its hard to beat their price.

I was just at their site and frankly for $92 for 40 lbs I'd order the white and add my own milk. The Tres Leches has evaporated milk, buttermilk, and coconut milk. You can buy these in the store and add to the white base at a substantial savings.

I use a white base and add three milks to my soap; buttermilk, coconut milk, and goat milk. I buy the canned and fresh milk, put them in my blender to mix them all together. What I don't use I pour into ice cube trays to freeze. I then put the frozen milk cubes in a zip loc bag and pull out a cube or cubes as I need them. Works great. I love my milk combo cause you can smell the rich creamy milk when you put it in the base to melt.

THANK YOU CANDYBEE! I thought I remembered reading about the Tres Leches a while back but I couldn't find the post! Thank you for the link! Thank you for your replies as they are very helpful and much appreciated! I'll have to go back to the EBC website and take another look at all of their bases... I always seem to go back to the SFIC... If I could just find the right combination of additives to get a good moisturizing bar with lots of lather :( always back to the drawing board... won't give up!

YES!!! I just read through the entire thread again and I'm going to try making your Cranberry Orange Spice Soap!!! It sounds wonderful! Also read a post where someone mentions using some of the Tres Leches and found it to be very moisturizing with great lather! Thanks so much Candybee!

SO...I went ahead and ordered the Tres Leches Soap Base from EBC and it arrived in the mail today. I just finished cutting up that huge block of soap base and I'm a little bit concerned with how soft the base is. It was SUPER EASY to cut up and bag! When I press it between my fingers it does indent it slightly! I've never used a base that is this soft before! I really don't mind that it is soft to the touch but I'm hoping that it doesn't melt away quickly in the shower! I'm thinking about adding some stearic to it right off the bat to try and harden it up some... but maybe I should melt a small amount and add just a little fo and see how it does on its own for the first time out...

The good news is that I found EBC to be a wonderful supplier! Great customer service, very kind and very helpful... Makes me want to order from them again! More good news is that after cutting up all of that soap base and washing my hands again and again (because of handling the soap), my hands actually feel soft and moisturized!!! This has never been the case! My hands usually feel extremely dry after handling all of that soap and I have to keep applying lotion! Just thought I'd share! :)