Best books on soap making

Whisper Girl

Just my opinion, but no soap maker should be without The Soap Maker's Companion (Cavitch) and Scientific Soap Making (can't remember the author's name right now.) Really, you don't need any other books. Most of the other books may have pretty pictures and perhaps can give artistic ideas on the aesthetics/creative aspects, but they are pretty worthless when it comes to the nuts and bolts of soap making, beyond giving a few recipes and a rendition of the process.

The Soap Maker's Companion has wonderful recipes, if sometimes a bit on the expensive side. She gives a lot of information on everything you can add to soap for color and fragrance and other additives. She gives descriptions of oils and what qualities they give soap. Not completely exhaustive on every topic in soap making, but pretty darn close.

Scientific Soap Making is actually a text book. It can be used to teach a course on soap making or chemistry. It is accessible to the novice chemist or soap maker a like. Written in plain language, but not dumbed down. It is the book I wish I had when I began making soap. It answers some of the more scientific questions that arise... what causes dos, how to prevent dos, how to accurately measure and keep a journal of soap making, testing various oils and additives in a scientific manner. I've read the entire book, but haven't done any of the "homework" or experiments, however I'm really considering working my way through.

I have both books and they are both valuable but I love Soap and Other Obsessions. You might get a subscription to The Saponifier magazine. I read it when there is down time and it has back issues like the one with the swirl contest and how to do all the swirls. Its pricey though. HTH

Steve

Well, i disagree with all of you. :P. I bought a book a long time ago when I first became interested in soap making six years ago. I read maybe one chapter and became bored and instead went online and found this forum. There is so much free information on the internet. I am a visual learner and Youtube has helped me as well. jmo save your money for buying soap supplies.:grin2::grin2:

I have both books and they are both valuable but I love Soap and Other Obsessions. You might get a subscription to The Saponifier magazine. I read it when there is down time and it has back issues like the one with the swirl contest and how to do all the swirls. Its pricey though. HTH

Steve

Ah I love Saponifier.

Well, i disagree with all of you. :P. I bought a book a long time ago when I first became interested in soap making six years ago. I read maybe one chapter and became bored and instead went online and found this forum. There is so much free information on the internet. I am a visual learner and Youtube has helped me as well. jmo save your money for buying soap supplies.:grin2::grin2:

I'm with you 100% TexasBrat! A person can get "all" the necessary info that's needed for soapmaking with the internet and a little patience. I too purchased one book in my 15 years of soapmaking and didn't even get the first chapter done. Between websites and forums a person's got it made!

Edited by Toni S.