Would this work for organizing wicks?

jonsie

post-11807-139458485388_thumb.jpg

So I'm imagining getting a zipper pocket for each size of wick, labeling the pocket, and putting them into wide ring binders. For example, I'd have binders with CDNs 3 - 8, CDNs 10 - 20, CDNs 22 - 30. Seems it would get incredibly bulky, but at least I could find my size easily.

These also seem expensive ($1 - $2 each) so I don't want to lay the money down without thinking it through.

Other ideas are always appreciated.

I don't think that would get it for me. I use one of those plastic 3 drawer storage units. I keep the wicks in zipper-lock plastic baggies according to size. CDNs take up 2 drawers - one for various sizes and another for the size I use most often. Other wicks - stuff I have in for testing, square braid, and other wicking related items (tabs, the tool I use to squeeze on the tabs, etc.) fill the third drawer. The wicks don't get all boogered up and I can keep them very organized this way. HTH

Thanks, it does help.

I thought I'd give this a try with my CDNs and see if it works for me. If it does then I'll try it with my HTPs and my ACSs too. At the moment each type has its own box and I have to paw through them to find the size I want, and I hate it.

Hi Susan, just a heads up....unless your going to be doing a lot of different jars, you'll find you only need a few different wicks.

P.S If you want to sample any particular size in htp's or cdn's, let me know since Ive got squillions of them that I am unlikely to ever use!

Thanks, KG!

I'm hoping to narrow it down to just a few wicks once I get all the FOs wicked that I already offer in the timber wick, but I'm finding the wicks for the EOs are all over the place. Once I get them wicked I may be offering to buy off your spares :)

I have lots and lots of wicks lol Keep them in the ziplock bags they come in but stand them up behind each other in size order in a box. I also label the front of the pack with the size jar I would use them in. Works for me :)

Edited by nadiap

Hi Susan,

I have been wanting something for a long time for wicks as we have found that after we complete testing we find that we use a wide range of wicks across our fragrances - not only variations in wick size but also variations in wick types.

We currently use large zip bags and they work ok - our numbers do not allow us to put them in a folder, but if we were not keeping large quantities of some wicks it would probably work fine for us.

We will most likely go to plastic draws - We do similar with our dye chips and have it hanging on the wall above the mixing table so they are close at hand when making up batches.

HTH

Bart

I use the plastic shoe boxes and label it on the outside. They stack and slide easily into one of those cheap Sauder type shelving units. They work kinda like drawers but you can take them out and set it right next to where you are working. I purchse by the thousands though and all 1000 won't fit into one shoe box, so I have to split that up, so I need to get larger ones, but it works for me. Depending on what quantities you purchase in you could find a similar plastic box and stack them or slide like little drawers.

We are pretty much like everyone else. Again we order in quantities too large to put in folders, not to mention that we also use about a sozen different sizes as well as different types. At the moment I have all of the ones that we use regularly in an old bedside table that we have in the pouring area. Dye blocks are in a drawer system from Bunnings. Not the idea situation but we never can seem to get our pouring area just the way that we want it. maybe one of these days we will rearrange to a design that will just work :)

Thanks everyone, these are all good ideas! I order in quantities of 100s for my container candles so the volume isn't too much of an issue. But I am leaning away from using the folder/binder since I think it will be too bulky and expensive.

My work area keeps evolving too. Once I figure out a place to put this huge jarrah wood wardrobe, my work area will open up and feel less claustophobic. Soooo much to do....