Need some advice on this pillar

dcroome2005

My friend ( neighbor ) has been helping me test to make it go quicker. I went over there to check on the cinnamon bun 3 x 3 1/2 pillar and came across this .. She had been buring it for 3 hours with a fan on medium. I am pretty sure the fan is the culprit to this. I have never had fans since starting making candles so I have nothing to compare it to. I told her to keep it away from fans/vents but .. well.. you know how that goes! LOL The thinner side ( part dripping ) was closest to the fan .. She now has it turned to the thick side by the fan to even it out. Thinking I should make a new one and test it myself and let her stick to the votives :laugh2: Basically what I am wanting to know is if you think this is caused by the ceiling fan? Not thinking I need to wick up and definetly dont want to wick down. ARGHHHH The reasons for testing :) Any advice ?

003.jpg

The fan is defiantly contributing but also the wick seems to be a little too long, though it could be because of the spill. You may also want to try twisting the wick a few times when wicking the molds, it will help with the way the wick is curling to one side.

Basically what I am wanting to know is if you think this is caused by the ceiling fan?

Yep and that test is now junk science. The only way to retrieve it would be to slice the burned part off the pillar and start fresh with a new surface. Gotta leave some wick sticking out, so if you do slice it, don't forget this. Otherwise, you gifted a nice pillar to your friend. NO air movement during testing!

Thanks Stella.. I am making a new one tomorrow morning and testing myself.. I was thinking it was caused by that. I looked at the wick again when I went back and it didnt seem too long. It's a cd and looked great from my past experiences. I dont prewick them because I use a wick pin with the mold to make sure its extremely centered.. I think I will keep her to testing tarts or something little. HAHA I told her if she test again for me for pillars or jars - she has to without a doubt test in a room without a draft right above it or a ceiling fan.. Smelled great though. HAHA :) Thank you both for chiming in :)

I, too twist the CDN & CD wicks I use in pillars. It's harder because there is nothing to twist "against", so I secure the bottom with a few drips of wax, hold the wick at the top, twist a few revolutions (don't spin it like a merry-go-round - it'll get dizzy and may not burn right!), then carefully drip wax in with the wick at the top to secure it.

You know you wanted to burn that pillar anyway. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Edited by Stella1952

Candybee-- good question :) It isnt glitter.. When you look at the pillar with a naked eye , you cant see any of that.. I looked again.. When I took the picture- it shows up.. It's got to be air bubble but the mold is new and clean .. Not sure why this would happen. I poked my relief holes and did all that :( ARGHHH LOL And this is why we test!!! Wait- I think I will sell it tomorrow.. :) LOL Only if I dont want repeat customers .. Repouring it now.. I will see it it turns out!