Which way is up?

Stella, it is not that easy. The wick weave points up at one location and when you roll the wick in your fingers it comes around to a place where it points down. Typical of how a weave works.

However, it is not round. It is semi-circle on a cross section. The flat or indented has a V to it and the round side does as well (which is opposite). So, does this mean the V points upward on the flat or indented side or upward on the round side?

I don't think the direction has much to do with it bending. The directional nature is supposed to wick the wax better in one direction or the other. So I guess if we can't figure it out, we need to do a lot of test burns and try to determine which way the wick performs better.

I did search, in fact, I asked this a few months ago. Top and Stella and others I think have posted some good info about how a wick will bend one way or the other and how that can be predicted. Apparently the RRD direction if I read correctly, has to do with the core and the wick's ability to draw fuel (molten wax). I don't think Top ever addressed this issue.

From WU:

RRD - This is a round wick with a uniquely braided cotton core designed with tension threads that give the wick a slight, but effective, curl

during combustion. The wick is directional in that capillary action flows more freely in one direction. Due to their intricate design, the

RRD series provides a centered burn pool, self-trimming burn characteristics and a consistently high rate of fuel flow. These wicks work

well with viscous fuels such as vegetable wax, gels and one pours. They are effective in containers and especially useful in pillars due to

their concentric burn pools.

So what they are saying is that the direction effects the capillary flow.

Wolverine, you really need to contact the supplier from whom you purchased the spool and ask if the cut end goes into the tab or not... It depends on how the wicking was wound when spooled, according to what I just read in the discussions here at CS that I found using the Google Site Search tool. Once you know you can mark your spool accordingly. The cut end USUALLY is the one that goes into the tab, but if the wicking was rewound this may not be true. Only ONE way to find out and that's ask the people who sold you the spool. HTH