I Need A Mold!

chuck_35550

go on youtube and look for kebrown i think... or search youtube for wooden soap mold....he gives exact dimensions on building one .it was super easy and we made 4 log molds that hold 4 and a half pounds of soap and the ends have wingnuts for $35. yes $35 for all four and it took like an hour to make all 4. we used gorilla glue to glue em then screwed them together using a drill. the hanger bolts are by the screws at home depot and the wingnuts are beside them.........thanks keith whever you are :)

go on youtube and look for kebrown i think... or search youtube for wooden soap mold....he gives exact dimensions on building one .it was super easy and we made 4 log molds that hold 4 and a half pounds of soap and the ends have wingnuts for $35. yes $35 for all four and it took like an hour to make all 4. we used gorilla glue to glue em then screwed them together using a drill. the hanger bolts are by the screws at home depot and the wingnuts are beside them.........thanks keith whever you are :)

Is gorilla glue oven safe? Will it degass?

• 4 weeks later...
I didn't find the youtube video yet but is that ever a nice site. Now that I see how a slab mold works, I might want to go with one of those. I was going with a loaf b/c I thought I wanted to be able to cut straight, with the wavy cutter and rustic type looks. This slab mold shows so many things one can do with the flat side of the bar upward tho'.

These are expensive or maybe all quality soap molds are as well? The one I bought (still in box) was no where near that much. I'll have to save up for any of these nice ones with buying candle stuff so often but in the meantime it might be good I'm starting out with a cheapie until I gain more experience.

If you haven't made soap yet, I'd start small and not purchase a slab mold at this point. I worked up to that. It's harder to make that much soap as a beginner. Must work really fast sometimes and losing that much raw material is a big bummer. I left out an oil once in a 52 bar slab mold and the whole batch was unuseable. Almost $200 in raw materials in the trash because I have rebatched one too many times. :P

If you haven't made soap yet, I'd start small and not purchase a slab mold at this point. I worked up to that. It's harder to make that much soap as a beginner. Must work really fast sometimes and losing that much raw material is a big bummer. I left out an oil once in a 52 bar slab mold and the whole batch was unuseable. Almost $200 in raw materials in the trash because I have rebatched one too many times. :P

Oh wow...losing $200 in raw materials? I thought candle making was an expensive hobby and soaping would be easier on the pocketbook. Do I ever have a lot to learn yet! I'm still reading and researching. I am following the thread 70%CCO 30% Shea Butter. It seems to be an easy recipe and the comments/questions are many that I have wondered about such as adding milk and when, to gel or not to gel and stuff like that. I tried the soap calc at a site with this recipe and I can't even figure out how to use that yet. I've got more to learn before I make a batch but the worst part of working with the lye has been taken care of since I have someone who offered to do that for me. After a time or two I'm sure I will be comfortable doing it myself.

The cheapie wood mold I bought is a 2-3 lb size. I will stay with that until I am comfortable making easier batches but after that I'd really like to get one that doesn't need to be lined. In the meantime, it will give me time to save up for it :)

I have been soaping for several years with a 9 bar Kelsei slab mold. It was affordable and easy to use and has been a good choice due to the fact that you can place it in the oven for cpop or leave it out to avoid gel on milk soaps. You don't have to line it but you do have to grease it up or the soap will stick on milk recipes. Many of our best soapers use easily available ingredients like lard, coconut oil (Wally world) olive oil (look for the large bottles like 108 oz) and Crisco. Soapcalc is my best friend. It is easy peasy once you get the hang of it. Enter soapcalc and click on ounces figure on about 11 oz of oils per pound of soap (the lye and liquid will make up the rest) and then click on the oils and use percentages and it will give you the ounces at the right of the page. Once you select your oils hit calculate and it will read out your amounts. Click on print/review and it will show you the recipe and soap qualities. Change your percentages to affect the soap qualities and there you are, easy peasy. Don't worry about superfat and all that other stuff until you get the hang of making soap with a basic recipe. HTH

Steve

Just as long as there is at least some superfat. You don't want the soap to end up lye heavy; especially small batches.

I have been soaping for several years with a 9 bar Kelsei slab mold. It was affordable and easy to use and has been a good choice due to the fact that you can place it in the oven for cpop or leave it out to avoid gel on milk soaps. You don't have to line it but you do have to grease it up or the soap will stick on milk recipes. Many of our best soapers use easily available ingredients like lard, coconut oil (Wally world) olive oil (look for the large bottles like 108 oz) and Crisco. Soapcalc is my best friend. It is easy peasy once you get the hang of it. Enter soapcalc and click on ounces figure on about 11 oz of oils per pound of soap (the lye and liquid will make up the rest) and then click on the oils and use percentages and it will give you the ounces at the right of the page. Once you select your oils hit calculate and it will read out your amounts. Click on print/review and it will show you the recipe and soap qualities. Change your percentages to affect the soap qualities and there you are, easy peasy. Don't worry about superfat and all that other stuff until you get the hang of making soap with a basic recipe. HTH

Steve

Ok, after much fence sitting and praying and researching I have decided to order a Silvermoon log mold. I emailed them some questions and got an immediate answer. So.....off to order my mold and have decided to buy the cutter deal from Soap Resource; as you get both straight and crinkled cutters in the deal. Thanks for the help and everyone's patience with me but I know you feel my pain when trying to decide about some of this stuff. My dw is off at a meeting this week in Gulf Shores and I gave her a long list of silicone molds and things to start my new journey with cupcakes and cakes. Every customer wants to order the things for Christmas and I haven't even made one yet, lol.

Cheers,

Steve

Can somebody help me understand why Silvermoon doesn't accept payment from my part of the country? They asked me to contact them for alternative payment method. I use a Mastercard Business credit card and or Paypal? Do they want a personal check? Thanks for the rant.

Steve

Ok, I've got a 9 inch log mold coming from silvermoon, ordered the cutter with both blades from Soap Resource and have the Spring set coming from celestial. My dw is on her way home with silicone cupcake and cake pans and all that's left to do is order some silicone raspberry and strawberry mini molds and some sprinkles/glitter. Now, how do I make this stuff?

Steve

I've got plenty of soaps drying on the racks for the season but this cupcake/soapcake stuff has kind of taken me over. My customers really want to order for gifts and realistically I know this is going to take talent. I swirl ok and mostly do goat milk soaps but maybe with the new mold I can get some better results. This wouldn't have happened if I stayed away from youtube, lol.

Steve