IGI 6006 parasoy

Hello,

I was thinking of trying a parasoy blend and was going to order the IGI 6006 from Candlescience. I was hoping someone could tell me what the ratio is on this? Is it 70/30 or 80/20? (couldn't seem to find on the website)

Would you recommend adding any of the following soy waxes to enhance the 6006 performance? Golden Wax 464, Ecosoya CB-135, or Cargill C3 Naturewax.

I am new to this and have only tried these three soy waxes. I have ended up with frosting, wet spots, craters, and sink holes and after test burning some of my Ecosoya candles, when the wax rehardens it looks funky, like moldish (if that makes any sense?). I tried a 70/30 blend of Cargil C3 and GW 464 which actually came out fairly good - barely any frosting, smooth creamy top, burned fairly well, great cold throw (not the greatest hot throw... but not awful) and after testburning some rehardened quite smooth again (that was exciting!)

However, I still feel the need to at least TRY a parasoy blend because I do want a really good hot throw too - but also that smooth creamy soy appearance.

Anyy suggestions will be helpful! Thanks!!

p.s. I am using standard apothecary jars 5oz (2.4" diam) and 16oz (4" diam) jars - wick suggestions would be soooo very helpful!!!!

TIA!!! :)

Golden Wax 464, Ecosoya CB-135, or Cargill C3 Naturewax.

464 and C3 are relatively similar, but 135 is not. It takes time and learning successful techniques and procedures to work successfully with soy waxes in general. C3 and 464 are not exceptions. "Wet spots" are caused more by environmental conditions than the waxes themselves."Frosting" is a fact of life when using a polymorphic wax (a substance which can change its physical structure). "Hot throw" is dependent on the entire candle system - the wax, the FO used and amount, the temperature at which it is added, the container shape/size and the wick type/size.

Many new folks test a handful of waxes, have issues with them all and head for the parasoy or paraffin out of frustration. That's one way to solve the problem OR you can learn how to troubleshoot the wax and find out what works and what doesn't.

The ratio of soy to paraffin matters, why? You have not learned how to make a consistently good soy candle so I don't understand why the percentage of paraffin would matter unless you are going to try mixing your other soys with some paraffin for your own "aftermarket" blend. My best suggestion is to learn how to get good results from the waxes you are using first before you start mixing so you will know what issues you really have and why the addition of (what kind) of paraffin mitigates these issues.

A 4" container is trouble, especially for a noob, because that is the threshold where many people move away from single wicks to multiple wicks. You can try the larger sizes of CDs & CDNs to single wick, but they can be difficult to find. I'd start with a CDN 18, 20 & 22 in soy wax, but I don't know what to suggest with paraffin mixed in because I don't use it.

NatureWax C3 makes a beautiful candle without mixing in other waxes. I do use USA to help stabilize the frosting issues.

If you would like more information about working with your soy waxes, you will find a LOT in the vegetable wax forum.

I use 6006 , but I do not know the % of the soy/paraffin blend, however it is a great wax to use.

That 4" diameter jar will probably be a pain to wick,

I still get wet spots with 6006, but I can live with them, as long as the candle has great throw and burns good.

Also on the soy let the candles cure longer.

Thanks for the feedback ! I am still gong to work with my soy waxes (my c3/gw464 blend really wasn't bad), but I just want to try a parasoy blend to see how it differentiates. This forum is great btw ! I have read the many many issues that can cause a poor hot throw (esp in soy wax) and I will continue to research and test, test, test !! :)~

I still would love to know the ratio of 6006 if anyone knows because I just prefer to know what I am working with.

Thank you for the wick recommendations Stella! Do you happen to know where I can find USA?

Thanks again ! :)

Yes, 6006 is 30% soy and 70% paraffin. It is a great wax by itself when I was working with it I used zinc wicks. The only issue I had with it was the soot. 464 is a real PITA and getting a good burn in a 4" container with only one wick is not easy to say almost impossible. Mayve you should try a smaller container until you figure out what works best in your wax.

TCS has a 70/30 70% soy 30% paraffin that is very easy to work with and someone use to sell a 50/50 blend but I don't remember what supplier it was.

There is no magic recipe when it comes to making candles it is all about testing until you find what work best for you. So test, test, test!

For a 4 inch diameter container of 464 I have had very good results double wicking with either CD 5 or CD 6 depending on the viscosity of the FO added. 6006 does soot and I have tabled that product for a while in favor of working with 4630. So far I am impressed with 4630.

I never had much luck with 6006, like above posts I would get soot and sink holes but there are plenty of people on here who have been successful with it. I have since moved on to my own blend that I have good luck with. If you are going with straight 6006 I would give zinc wicks a try, but honestly a 4" diameter jar is just a headache waiting to happen. Good luck with your testing! :smiley2: