Filtering Wax

Any ideas about how to filter wax?

Someone suggested using milk filters. I checked ebay and can't make heads or tails out of their milk filters or how to use them.

Do those metal coffee filters work?

I have a wax that I really like, but can't keep a wick going (even those blowtorch u-core ones). I want to try filtering the wax and see if that helps.

Thanks.

I have a wax that I really like, but can't keep a wick going (even those blowtorch u-core ones). I want to try filtering the wax and see if that helps.

Eric, the mechanical particulate filtering methods everyone has graciously contributed will only work if the substance that's causing your issues is a particulate... it won't help with water or some impurity that is dissolved in the wax... HTH

ok............ I'll ask ................................... :-)

why would one need to filter wax ? ? ?

Read the OPs first post - he is having trouble getting the wax to burn and thinks filtering might help so is asking for suggestions on how to filter it...

It's actually a very smart thing to do! Large commercial operations have filtering screens for this very issue. I always filter my wax as I pour into containers or molds. It can contain debris from the air, dust particles, pet hair, manufacturing debris, etc.

Edited by Stella1952

I'm thinking I need a really fine micron filter. Not looking for a rock stopper or a cat hair remover, but something that will help refine the wax more.

If it is fine enough to get into the wick, then the filter needs to be fine enough to let the wax through and remove the impurities.

This is TCS Container 128 wax.

Have you contacted TCS about the difficulties you are experiencing? It seems a little prohibitive to try to re-refine a wax... Diatomaceous earth will filter out particles of 1 micron and larger, but how could this possibly be worth the effort? Either you have purchased a bad batch or you are doing something wrong - in either case the supplier should stand behind their product and offer customer support.

Just curious - in your original post, you stated that you really like this wax but can't keep a wick going in it... how did you come to this conclusion of liking a product that isn't working for you?

Edited by Stella1952

I have not called TCS yet, I wanted to try some things at home after hours before I do that. It really is a problem to stop my day and call about hobbies.

I just went to the local restaurant supply store and asked for milk filters or those fine metal coffee filters. Ha! They told me Walmart! However, they did have these substantially large and thick grease filters used for those deep fryers at the fast food place. You can pour the grease through it and filter out the contaminates and carbon particles and re-use the oil. Cheap. $10 for 50 filters and $7 for the holder. Fits over a pretty wide pot. So I'm going to give it a try tonight and see if it helps.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/10-paper-grease-filter-cone-50-box/121100.html

This is exactly what I bought.