Understanding Melts

jonsie

I'm completely new to the concept of Wickless, so much so that I haven't even used a warmer before. I'd like to learn more about making and selling melts because it sounds like once you nail down your recipe, it can be a low-labor/good profit product.

But before I can convince my customers that they need melts, I need to understand more about them.

Lots of my customers already have warmers because they mainly use essential oils in them. I can see some advantage in using a wax melt because it will not dry out or require water to maintain the fragrance.

I also like the idea of the electric warmers since you don't have an open flame.

The one scenario I don't seem to understand is: Using a wax melt with a tea light warmer. It seems like it would make more sense to just burn a scented tea light. What am I missing?

Something else I don't understand is what to do with the leftover wax. I can promise you that will bug the crap out of my customers and they will not want to throw it away. And I know for a fact some will try to make their own candles out of it (I already get asked for spare wicks, sigh). It's not so much that they are cheap, but the community I am in is extremely focused on Reduce/Reuse/Recycle. I'm all for reusing but I am a bit worried about that.

I'm lining up my materials to give this a try, but those questions have been bouncing around in my head, lol. Sorry for my ignorance!

Edited by jonsie

Well, I'm new to this melt thing as well. I have found that scented tealights are too small to have any fragrance throw compared to a warmer. The pool diameter is important and you get one inch out of a tealight but 2 to 3 out of a warmer. Also, tealights can be pretty cheap and will burn out after 7 hours or so. Plus the tealight burners are pretty darned artsy. I have a neat looking dragon one that has a 3 inch basket hanging above the tealight holder.

As for the leftover wax, I am always glad to recycle. If someone wants to bring me leftover wax, I'll give them $0.25/pound and toss it in the firestarter bin. Kind of like when the folks at the garage take your old car oil and recycle it for you. I don't sell much, but I was thinking that I'd possibly give a discount based on recycled wax that anyone wants to turn in.

I'm completely new to the concept of Wickless, so much so that I haven't even used a warmer before. I'd like to learn more about making and selling melts because it sounds like once you nail down your recipe, it can be a low-labor/good profit product.

But before I can convince my customers that they need melts, I need to understand more about them.

Lots of my customers already have warmers because they mainly use essential oils in them. I can see some advantage in using a wax melt because it will not dry out or require water to maintain the fragrance.

I also like the idea of the electric warmers since you don't have an open flame.

The one scenario I don't seem to understand is: Using a wax melt with a tea light warmer. It seems like it would make more sense to just burn a scented tea light. What am I missing?

Something else I don't understand is what to do with the leftover wax. I can promise you that will bug the crap out of my customers and they will not want to throw it away. And I know for a fact some will try to make their own candles out of it (I already get asked for spare wicks, sigh). It's not so much that they are cheap, but the community I am in is extremely focused on Reduce/Reuse/Recycle. I'm all for reusing but I am a bit worried about that.

I'm lining up my materials to give this a try, but those questions have been bouncing around in my head, lol. Sorry for my ignorance!

I understand what your saying "just burn a t-lite" well a tart can last through several t-lites. Assuming a t-lite last 4-6 hrs, a tart can last 14 hrs to a week, depending on the FO and amount you use per lb of wax, wax etc. I believe you use Palm so I have no idea how it works, I'm talking the Soy I use.

The other reason a lot of people use them is, there is no flame with electric and that's all my customers use, except in bathrooms and other areas with no plugs, love them.

As far as the used wax.. I have wicked a jar and poured tart wax in it for an emergency candle, looks really nice with all the layers. You could always sell a wicked jar with a pk of matches and tell customers to recycle and save for a power outage etc. I would not care if they thought it would make a nice candle, just let them but sell them the jar and wick and wax in the form of tarts. And make sure you sell them at a decent price, they are a pain but I prefer them to candles. Yankee's here sell for over $2.00 a tart so keep yours around that price.. Cause yours will be so much better.

I'm working on an order right now for over 3,500 tarts over 100 different scents. This is really rare, only had a few this big in the 11 years I have been making them. Prefer the much smaller orders so I feel like I'm getting something done. Good luck.

Edited by Sharon in KY

Thank you both for the explanations and the ideas. That makes me feel more confident going into this.

The larger pool diameter of the melter vs the tea light makes sense. And giving the customer options for returning or reusing the wax is good too.

By the way, it's soy that I use. The cheapest options I have are the GW range ($105 US for 50 lbs). If I want Ecosoya Pillar Blend, it will cost me $194 US to get 50 lbs... ouch. I figured I try GW 415 and 416 to begin with. The materials here are so expensive!

and Sharon... 3500 tarts??? OMG, I lost my breath reading that. Good luck to you.

As far as leftover wax, I know paraffin wax is biodegradable and I would think soy wax would be too. It can be composted.

I would never, ever compost any wax.......it would never decompose totally and make a mess of my compost pile. The chemicals from the FO, any additives used and the chemicals they use to make soy & paraffin wax would ruin my soil.

I figured I try GW 415 and 416 to begin with. The materials here are so expensive!

I use a container wax GF/GB 435, it's 415 with cotton seed wax, pour into foil tart cups. Never had a complaint from anyone about the fact they do not pop out of warmers. I could never pour into molds for the amount I pour. Not being a small home operation. And I really like how my container wax throws.

Jonsie, you're so close to Taiwan, and there are a lot of folks in your neck of the woods that deal over there, why don't you look into Chinese wax?
Hmmm, hadn't considered that. Where would I even begin?
I use a container wax GF/GB 435, it's 415 with cotton seed wax, pour into foil tart cups. Never had a complaint from anyone about the fact they do not pop out of warmers. I could never pour into molds for the amount I pour. Not being a small home operation. And I really like how my container wax throws.
Thanks, Sharon. GB 435 isn't available to me here, but I do have cotton seed wax as an additive. Now I have a great excuse to play with it.

you could check out www.candlemaking.com.au they have soy paraffin and palm. They have this stuff called uni soy that can be either container or votive depending on the additive you use. Havent tried it myself. Feather Palm makes awesome melts and that is what I use. For soy I mix 416 and pb. No frosting and great ht. Palm is much easier to use imo. I like making melts. They throw better than any candle I have made or bought. Could send you a few if you want :-)

Wow that was a bit all over the place but you get what I mean...I must be tired

Edited by Tribalvixen

I would never, ever compost any wax.......it would never decompose totally and make a mess of my compost pile. The chemicals from the FO, any additives used and the chemicals they use to make soy & paraffin wax would ruin my soil.

I would need to do more research on the additives and FO, but university studies have proven that paraffin wax is fully compostable. BTW, I have been an organic gardener for 30 years, so it is not like I advocate putting junk in my soil. But this thread asked for an alternative to throwing the wax in the trash, where it goes to a landfill. Composting is an alternative. The compost could be used as a mulch around flowers and ornamentals if you didn't want to put it in the garden.

http://igiwax.com/uploads/packagingarticles/Composting%20statement.pdf (see below)

THE INTERNATIONAL GROUP, INC. (IGI), a world leader in refining and

marketing of wax based products, is committed to preserving the environment.

We continue to initiate new products and programs designed to minimize our

impact on the environment.

Composting represents an important strategy in diverting waste streams from

landfills and returning organic content to soils. This process is a crucial

component of the recycling strategy designed to reduce North America's reliance

upon landfills for solid-waste disposal. What is not widely known is that properly

formulated paraffin waxed packaging can be used to produce high quality

compost.

Published studies conducted by McGill University (1) and the University of

Guelph (2) confirmed that paraffin wax-based coatings are inherently

biodegradable and readily decompose under normal outdoor exposure

conditions, as well as in a composting process. These studies covered the use of

paraffin waxes in the high volume applications of food service wrappers and

treated corrugated boxes.

These studies supported previous work done by TNO laboratories (3) showing

paraffin waxes and paraffin-based coatings are inherently biodegradable

according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development

Guidelines. These studies showed greater than 60% degradation after 28 days

and near complete degradation after the 84 day test.

Paraffin waxes are unique as coating materials because they provide excellent

moisture barrier properties. Since they are not polymers they are biodegradable

by nature.

From corrugated boxes through treated waxed food wraps, paraffin waxes

remain an economical, efficient, and environmentally viable barrier material.

(1)February 1993 TAPPI Journal

(2) May 1995 TAPPI Journal

(3) Hanstviet, A. O., TNO Division of Technology for Society Report No.

R90/243a, Delfh, 1990, pp. 17-33

Totally agree with this. Palm melts throw really well and then just slide out of the burner when done. The only downside we find is that palm being so brittle and fragile can tend to damage very easily if you are selling, hence the greatest joy in our lives when we make then is shrink wrapping....LOL

Why sont you grab a 5 kg bag from David Susan and try them out. You will get quite a few melts out of 5 kg, and you can use the mini muffin molds, either the silicon of the non stick rather than buying the fluted ones and the inflated Aussie prices :)

I would need to do more research on the additives and FO, but university studies have proven that paraffin wax is fully compostable. BTW, I have been an organic gardener for 30 years, so it is not like I advocate putting junk in my soil. But this thread asked for an alternative to throwing the wax in the trash, where it goes to a landfill. Composting is an alternative. The compost could be used as a mulch around flowers and ornamentals if you didn't want to put it in the garden.

http://igiwax.com/uploads/packagingarticles/Composting%20statement.pdf (see below)

THE INTERNATIONAL GROUP, INC. (IGI), a world leader in refining and

marketing of wax based products, is committed to preserving the environment.

We continue to initiate new products and programs designed to minimize our

impact on the environment.

Composting represents an important strategy in diverting waste streams from

landfills and returning organic content to soils. This process is a crucial

component of the recycling strategy designed to reduce North America's reliance

upon landfills for solid-waste disposal. What is not widely known is that properly

formulated paraffin waxed packaging can be used to produce high quality

compost.

Published studies conducted by McGill University (1) and the University of

Guelph (2) confirmed that paraffin wax-based coatings are inherently

biodegradable and readily decompose under normal outdoor exposure

conditions, as well as in a composting process. These studies covered the use of

paraffin waxes in the high volume applications of food service wrappers and

treated corrugated boxes.

These studies supported previous work done by TNO laboratories (3) showing

paraffin waxes and paraffin-based coatings are inherently biodegradable

according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development

Guidelines. These studies showed greater than 60% degradation after 28 days

and near complete degradation after the 84 day test.

Paraffin waxes are unique as coating materials because they provide excellent

moisture barrier properties. Since they are not polymers they are biodegradable

by nature.

From corrugated boxes through treated waxed food wraps, paraffin waxes

remain an economical, efficient, and environmentally viable barrier material.

(1)February 1993 TAPPI Journal

(2) May 1995 TAPPI Journal

(3) Hanstviet, A. O., TNO Division of Technology for Society Report No.

R90/243a, Delfh, 1990, pp. 17-33

The wax coatings on different packaging materials is a totally different animal than candle wax. I still would never throw a lump of tart wax or any candle wax (paraffin or soy), that's lost its scent in any compost or mulch pile. The FO may have lost its scent, but the chemicals and synthetics that makes the FO is still in the wax and therefore not good for mulch or compost. The best alternative to throwing out the spent tart wax is firestarters or emergency candles.

The wax coatings on different packaging materials is a totally different animal than candle wax. I still would never throw a lump of tart wax or any candle wax (paraffin or soy), that's lost its scent in any compost or mulch pile. The FO may have lost its scent, but the chemicals and synthetics that makes the FO is still in the wax and therefore not good for mulch or compost. The best alternative to throwing out the spent tart wax is firestarters or emergency candles.

As promised, I did more research on this. I actually looked up the MSDS on paraffin candle waxes and fragrance oils. I stand by my statement that the waxes are compostable. However, the fragrance oil will depend on what the oil is. If it is essential oil, or safe for bath and body, it shows no serious effects. If it has phthalates in it, or other compounds like it, it is probably not the best idea to compost. With that said, who wants to breath that stuff when you burn it either? I found it interesting that some suppliers offer MSDS sheets on their FOs right on their websites, and some don't. I will be paying more attention to this in the future. I think another factor is just how much of this wax a person has. It is not practical to compost large quantities of wax, so this method probably would not work for a chandler, but would be more applicable to someone who occasionally uses tarts. These is no demand for firestarters in my area. And for emergency candles, that would require a whole new level of testing to ensure safety and I'm not sure how safe they would be since every candle would be different. Ultimately I think most of this wax will wind up in the trash, so we should strive to use something that we would be willing to compost, even if we choose not to do so. Thank you for pushing me to investigate this further.

Coconut and ChrisR, thank you for the input. I feel better informed. I think I will play around with making some melts and see how the customers receive them. There will be some who won't care about tossing it, but there will always be those who will save it and attempt to make their own candles. I'll do my best to discourage that if they ask.

Eric mentioned buying back wax to make firestarters. Those aren't very popular here, but could I add more scent to the wax and sell it in little drawer sachets? Or... sell the FO in a dropper bottle for them to re-scent the melted wax? Chances are I am overthinking things right now, but this is just how my mind works.

Tribalvixen, I got your melts and I love them! My first wax melts as a customer :) And I love how the feather palm looks. And I also like how easily it slid out of the melter once it cooled off. Do you pour your feather palm into the clam shells?

And flowerbaby, sorry I can't help you, I haven't poured my first melt yet :)

I am so happy you like them. First time I have had another candlemaker/meltmaker use anything of mine thankyou for the feedback :smiley2:.

I dont pour into clam shells at all. I have those little portion cups that I pour soy into. But I dont do that much its more of a novelty for me and something different to do. :)

Edited by Tribalvixen