quick quick! can someone help me please...

I bought a porcelain mug with the handle on it and the diameter is 3 3/4" wide.

I'm not sure what size wick to use. I thought I had some htp 1312's, but I don't and I think the 1312 would work, so now I need another alternative. I have eco samples and cd's. I was thinking of 1 cd22. Do you think that would work? Or double wicking what should I use? I have never double wicked cause I just can't! lol But this candle is just for my own personal use and even though the 1312 and cd 22 are torches...I can handle it.....just need to know where to start and I'm ready to pour the candle right now as my wax is hot and ready to go....Hope someone is out there now....

Thanks.

Trappeur

All I can say is good luck. I probably have 20 mugs downstairs in a box. I have completely given up wicking them...either soot or 1/2" hang up every time. I tried (2) HTP 62, HTP 93 and 105, LX19 and 22 (I think). Report back, please!

Thankyou everyone for the leading start wheres....

Ok what I did was put in a cd22.....lol.....yeah, I'm sure it's going to be a torch....but it's for me......

Stella, that is the inside top dimention....3 3/4" wide...Well, I will wait for a few days and report back....I shouldn't have used a stickum for the wick as I'm probably going to have to pull it out...well, probably won't be able to pull it out, but chip out the wax and start over....geesh...

I just wish I could double wick...the problem is I have tried a gazillion times and though I may get a beautiful burn I ALWAYS GET THESE UGLY SOOT RINGS....I've done the cd, htp and eco. And why it works for others and not me....well I just don't know. Maybe its this Georgia mountain aire? Who knows? Matter of fact I got a couple candles from some fellow candle makers on the board here (no naming).... that were double wicked and they sell them too to others and when I burned them, I got black rings around the wicks. I even asked one of the gals about it and she said it didn't really bother her but that they sold....geesh.....I wouldn't even think of making a candle like that to put out there...

You all just made a suggestion of a 16 or 18 cd wick.....Ok,....is that a single wick or double wicking?

I belive the cdn 22 wick is comperable to the htp 1312 and that is a friggin torch! :laugh2:

Am I right about that? Wouldn't that be way too much to put in a candle to sell to others as we all know the general public knows nada zip about how to burn a candle....

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

Don't pull that wick!! If you've already got one wicked with a 22 , light that puppy up and see what it does! Even though I think it'll be a little more than you need, maybe it'll be just right. If it's too much, step down to a 20, etc.

Bottom line, if I were testing a 3.75" (inside diameter) container I would start with a CDN 18-20 (scratch what I said previously about the 16 - I was thinking the dimension you gave was outside measurement and I automatically compensated for that). I would not expect to see a FMP until the third test burn of 3 hours 45 minutes each. Burn that baby all the way down 'cause the big 'uns take longer to melt the sides... Because I use CDNs and not CDs, there may be a small amount of variation in the sizing even though they are s'posed to be the same.