The Candle Source Wax

ky-sam

OK I also just ordered a slab of this wax, I've been using KY's since she came out with it and the last couple of boxes

I was not happy with at all so I'm going to give this one a shot & hope it work's for me. I will post when I get some tarts

made.

I have become unhappy with the KY Parasoy Votive and Tart wax. I am not getting the same scent throw from my tarts for as long anymore. Is that the problem you are having?

yep that was my biggest problem with KY wax. So far I'm liking TCS wax the only thing I don't like is that it don't just fall out of the mold's like KY's did. I have to bang the mold a few times on my table for them to fall out but on the good side when I did have to do that with KY wax (not very often) the tart would break it hasn't done that so far with TCS wax. I'm going to test MI's Hot Apple Pie tonight. I'm such a food FO HO, lol

Thank you, Cindy; let us know if you like it.

This is my very favorite wax for making tarts/clamshells. I know that some don't get the same great results like I do, and I really don't know why.....

I tried KY parasoy for tarts more than once, and was very, very disappointed; I just couldn't get it to work for me :-(

Was it poor scent throw that was the reason it did not work for you.

yep that was my biggest problem with KY wax. So far I'm liking TCS wax the only thing I don't like is that it don't just fall out of the mold's like KY's did. I have to bang the mold a few times on my table for them to fall out but on the good side when I did have to do that with KY wax (not very often) the tart would break it hasn't done that so far with TCS wax. I'm going to test MI's Hot Apple Pie tonight. I'm such a food FO HO, lol

Cindy, Which supplier is MI? And as far as your tarts not coming out of the molds. Are they clamshells or a different type of tart mold?

OK so far I've gotten about 10 hours of good scent throw now it's fading. I can still smell that it's hot apple pie but only

when I get right up to it. I like it so far better than KY's.

Well that is very encouraging. I just received my slab yesterday (the Candle Source Wax) and I have to work tomorrow, but me and my husband are going to test the Candle Source Wax, the 4794 with 4627 and the ecosoya with 4627 this weekend. I am going to heat to the 185 that you all recommended and wait about 4 days to test and will let you all know what I thought worked out the best. I will do them all in the same scent so it will be a true test. I will be sick of that scent at the end of this little science project, but that just goes with the territory. hee hee

I've tried the 4794 by itself and didn't care for it so I went back to KY's but like I said the last couple cases the scent throw or the staying power just wasn't there any more. TCS wax I got a good scent throw for 8-10 hours. I burned it about 4 hours for 3 nights Tonight being the 3rd night and I let it go for a couple of hours and it just got to waxy smelling for me so I turned it off.Good luck hope it works for you.

Flowerbaby, I tried various combinations with the 4794. I tried 4794 and 415.

4794 and C-3

4794 and Ecosoya PB (longer curing)

4794 and 464

4794 and 4630

Going by my notes, of all those combinations (50/50) best HT was 4794 and 4630, followed by 4794 and PB and 4794 and 4630.

Found not much difference by adding 4627 to the 4794, except that the HT lasted a bit longer.

These were my results; yours may be totally different.

HTH

Edited by Ravens
meant to type C-3, not C-2

Mac Apple from CS didn't throw for you? I was testing it one day (one cube 464/ecosoyapb blend in an electric warmer) it was so strong in the house I could taste it and my neighbor called me to ask me what scent I had burning because she could smell it wafting into her yard.

it's thrown in other wax for me but just didn't in tcs wax

Mac Apple from CS didn't throw for you? I was testing it one day (one cube 464/ecosoyapb blend in an electric warmer) it was so strong in the house I could taste it and my neighbor called me to ask me what scent I had burning because she could smell it wafting into her yard.

Flowerbaby, I tried various combinations with the 4794. I tried 4794 and 415.

4794 and C-3

4794 and Ecosoya PB (longer curing)

4794 and 464

4794 and 4630

Going by my notes, of all those combinations (50/50) best HT was 4794 and 4630, followed by 4794 and PB and 4794 and 4630.

Found not much difference by adding 4627 to the 4794, except that the HT lasted a bit longer.

These were my results; yours may be totally different.

HTH

I appreciate all the suggested mixtures. My one problem with that wax is that it is so dang hard. Not nearly as easy to use. But I would be willing if it was really good. Thank you.

What ratio do you mix the 2 waxes, 50/50?

Does one have better scent throw?

75% PB 25% 464. Releases well from the clamshell and from the bowl pretty well once it is cooled.

Thanks for sharing. I am testing my first wax combo from all the different ones I made this weekend. I am testing the Candle Source first. It didn't release from the clamshell quite as easily as I would have liked, but I did get it out. So far the smell is good, but I will let you know how many hours it lasts. I am testing 2 squares out of a 6 square clamshell. Approximately 1 oz.

How frustrating. I am not going to test every scent I make, so what to do.

That's part of it. If you want to make a good consistent product, you test, test, test. Every last scent. Luckily, my son has his apartment in our basement and tests tarts for me. The area of the basement is 1600 square feet, so if my tarts throw throughout the basement and up the basement stairs to the main floor of the house, I'm beyond pleased. I like to get a full day of fragrance out of mine. Some I have to quit testing because they've been on the burner for 3 or 4 days and I'm really sick of smelling them anymore. I use 464 and pillar paraffin 50/50.

I didn't get nearly the great results that Raven did. :( I suppose it might depend on your FOs, and your technique..??....but I tested the TCS wax against the KY parasoy (as well as my own blend) and KYs performed 10xs better! Using the same (Kick-butt strong!) oils, same percentages, same cure time etc. The tCS wax also pulled away from my glass containers... (wickless) but my tarts were extremely difficult to get out of the metal molds. I ended up having to put them in the freezer and still had to beat them on counter several times before they would release.

The CT was almost non-existant while the HT was just "ok" The throw did seem to last a little longer than I had expected...like 3.5 hours on the strong fragrance side....but not at all what I had expected...or hoped for. I still have quite a bit left to play around with...if I decide to even try it again. Not sure why Raven gets such good results. :) Good luck with this one. I'm currently using my own kick-butt blend ...which performs beautifully everytime. =)

If I can get better results from the CS wax later on I'll re-post them here. HTH

Edited by Mountain_Annie
typo :) and additions

Hi There Ravens, I have your wax, made some tarts & votives. So far so good! i have a few questions please!?

What temp do you add FO? TCS wax

What temp pour at?

different questions:

Is it possible that I am cooking the HT out of my 4627 wax?

I heat until 195-200 in presto.

Pour into pour pot

Put PP into double boiler

Add dye, add fo, keep in DB until temp is back up to 190-195 while stirring. Then take out, stir, stir then pour into jar at about 180

Last night I did everything the same except as soon as I put fo in I removed the PP out of DB & stirred 2 minute & then poured. This morning the CT was great & the Ht was so much stronger! Could this have been why I don't get such a great hot throw? Thanks Tracey

Tracey, I don't think what follows is exactly what Loren at The Candle Source recommends, but it works for me. I heat TCS wax to approx. 185-190, turn off the heat, add the FO, stir less than a minute (closer to 30 seconds, actually) and pour. Works with most FOs and the tarts kick butt, if I may say so, lol

Thanks Ravens!

Tracey, I don't think what follows is exactly what Loren at The Candle Source recommends, but it works for me. I heat TCS wax to approx. 185-190, turn off the heat, add the FO, stir less than a minute (closer to 30 seconds, actually) and pour. Works with most FOs and the tarts kick butt, if I may say so, lol