New member sayin Hi!

Hi everyone out there I'm Jason and iv been a independent candle maker for the last about 5 years. I started with a 40 buck kit from hobby lobby with this weird pre-colored wax and crappy FO's. with in the last year i almost made a business out of my craft but decided it was more fun to sell at craft shows and give them away to friends family and co-workers and anyone who wants one . in the past 6 months iv gone though over 400 pounds of wax. I use the hobby lobby crafty candle paraffin wax (133-135 melt point) with a 1/2 tsp of vybar 260 per pound. I also use the diamond color candle chips for color (1 chip per pound) and i order my FO's from natures garden, candlewic, peak candles and spirit crafts with 1/2 oz. per pound FO's

I currently have 39 different molds. i have metal, poly, plastic, and silicone. I have made my one molds useing products from smooth on.

I am here to make friends, make a better candle, have fun and find a wax dealer in my area or with in 25-50 miles of north west Indiana that i can go pick up so i can skip out on shipping.

if anyone in the NWI area would like to try one of my candles and toss me some feedback please let me know and i will find a way to give you one.

I would like to offer up the use of my ventrillo server for anyone to use to talk back and forth. you will need a microphone and speakers to use it. If this is not acceptable please any moderator delete this last paragraph and address info for the vent sever.

for vent goto

http://www.ventrilo.com/

get the client software and it will walk you though it

the connection address is

krypton.typefrag.com

port address is 18706

password is solclaim

Thanks everyone for any info you can pass on and keep burning!

Jason

Solclaim

Edited by Solclaim
need to learn how to spell

Hi Jason, nice to meet you! You have quite a set up over there, sounds like you have a lot of fun. How do you like making your own molds? I looked at the Smooth On site before but it just scares me. But gracious the charge for the homemade molds is way beyond what I can spend right now. Well, that is if I still want to purchase things like wax and FO. =)

Love your reason for editing your post lol.

welcome to the forum. Are you using vybar 260 for pillar candles or pillars? It's designed for containers with 103 being for pillars. Did you start with Candle Magic crystal waxes? Or is that what you're using?

i started with candle magic crystal wax .. it was labeled crafty candles from hobby lobby. as for the vybar 260 well i kind of use it in all my candles since for a lack of better saying i don't know any better. i currently use 10lb wax slabs from hobby lobby and i know there has to be better out there to use because it is costing me about 1.85 a pound. I'm totally open to hearing more about what additives to use in my wax and why. i'd be happy to send ya one of my jars and molded candles to test out if your interested to see how some one who has never had contact with another candle maker did :)

Jason,

DPS Morris wax http://www.dpswax.com/DPS_index.html is probably close enough for you to drive to. I live in Indy and have bought wax from them many times.

awesome ! thanks! i was hoping to see some one post a company they have gotten wax from and likes... well as still a noob i am what wax would you suggest for jars and molds ? Non-mottling i like a nice smooth look. How was the quality of wax you bought ?

Hi Jason!

So cool you make your own moulds =) Look forward to reading your posts...

have fun!

yep its easy i'm guessing you are in Australia i have 60 pounds of a one time casting material you could try, it mixes 1:1 with room temp water .. we'd have to see how much it may cost to ship ya pound or 2.

:)

Welcome Jason, glad to see more guys coming into the candle making business.

Steve

Hey Steve I'm guessing we are a rare sort :P I really do find candle making relaxing and makes happy when i create something that i know some one will enjoy... real funny thing is .... u all are gona laugh .....wait for it ..... i have only ever burned 1 tea light candle of my own...in the 5 years i have been making them. LOL my family all tests them for me and i get feed back .. i figure i smell them enough when i pour them i really don't' need to burn them :P.... My G/f loves that almost every time i goto her house i bring at lest one for her ....her mantle is full her dresser full bathroom full ... i got yelled at last week when she told me to stop till she can burn some... lol is it bad when my tea lights burn for about 6+ hours.. just picture what a 1 pounder jar can do :)