Is it even possible to wick a tall jar properly?

I have a 6 inch tall jar that has a diameter of 3.5 inches. No matter what wick/wax/oil I use it starts flickering and sooting towards the bottom half. I would can this jar (lol) but it is for a wholesale customer that INSISTS on this jar. She doesn't care if it soots a little at the last half. She says it is still way better than any other brand she carries. BUT I CARE! Is there any wick out there that doesn't require as much oxygen to burn? I know it is sooting and flickering due to the amount of oxygen, or lack there of. I have not tried a square braid yet, but these jars hold alot of wax and it is expensive to test, so if anyone has tried wicking a taller than wide jar such as the status, could you suggest a wick that works toward the last half? Thanks!

My opinion is no but you could cut down on the amount of sooting by not using fos with vanilla or spices. I use a 16 oz salsa jar with about those same dimensions and use a 16cd wick with most of my fos. Anything smaller and the hangup is too much. I have a ton of these jars and have no choice but to use them up. You could try double wicking the jar but it would be a hassle and most customers don't seem to like double wicked candles for some reason. HTH

Steve

My opinion is no but you could cut down on the amount of sooting by not using fos with vanilla or spices. I use a 16 oz salsa jar with about those same dimensions and use a 16cd wick with most of my fos. Anything smaller and the hangup is too much. I have a ton of these jars and have no choice but to use them up. You could try double wicking the jar but it would be a hassle and most customers don't seem to like double wicked candles for some reason. HTH

Steve

Steve, you use the safety wicks that self-extinguish before burning the last 1/2" of wax, right? I'm trying to remember if it was you that posted about that.

Do people have this same problem with the 1 pint regular mouth mason jar?

Yes, the 6 mm size wick assembly and really like cdns when I can find em. I share your pain on having to use a tall container. I don't have much of a soot problem but the flame will flicker on some fos. Good luck.

Steve

Thanks! I thought you were using the 9 or 10 mm, so I'm glad to hear the 6 mm works well for you in that jar.

Thought I was talking about sooting and flickering. What does the base of the wick assembly have to do with it?

Absolutely nothing. Balancing the wax, wick & FO can be a bear. If you are using soy wax (not parasoy or paraffin), be sure you do not overload the wax with FO. Soy wax is more viscous and harder to burn, so loading it up too much with FOs & heavy dyes can cause wicking to become a challenge. My rule of thumb is 1 oz. PP (or a little less with strong scents) regardless. Some folks feel compelled to use more if their wax is rated to be able to hold more, but that's so not necessary and is actually deleterious to getting the best performance from the candle system. Good luck & HTH

Ahhhh ok? Thought I was talking about sooting and flickering. What does the base of the wick assembly have to do with it?

Because the flame is going to burn down to a lower level with a 6 mm wick assembly than it will with a 9 or 10 mm wick assembly, so if Steve can let the flame burn down to the 6mm level without sooting & flickering, that's good to know, IMO.

burn down to the 6mm level without sooting & flickering, that's good to know
Yeah, but it has nothing to do with why a candle does this... nor how to resolve the issues.
I have a 6 inch tall jar that has a diameter of 3.5 inches

So Dana, can you tell us some more about your candle? What wax, wick/size, amount of FO, etc. are you using? Without knowing specifics, we can only offer vague ideas...

Edited by Stella1952

Because the flame is going to burn down to a lower level with a 6 mm wick assembly than it will with a 9 or 10 mm wick assembly, so if Steve can let the flame burn down to the 6mm level without sooting & flickering, that's good to know, IMO.

I am not talking about the last few mm. I am talking about the last 1/2 of the jar! And I never heard him say he had no sooting. He says he doesn't have much problem with it, but that is probably with no vanillas and spicy scents. That is about all I make for this customer, so that's out. I will try less f/o though. That is one thing I have not tried. Funny, I have been at this for about 8 years now and I STILL have things I never thought of trying! Thanks!

Oh sorry, Stella. I was typing my post when you submitted yours, lol.

I am using a parasoy and was using CD's and went a little lighter on the wicking to reduce some of the flickers and soot the last half. Any smaller and not hot enough to reach full mp though. So I was ok with that for a while. But I am always trying to make candles better and better with all the new wicks, waxes and such. So when I read on here somewhere that HTP's work pretty well with a parasoy I decided to try those. Worked wonderful the first 1/2....then the sooting. Much less flickering and soot than with the CD's though. But still not perfect. I have some LX's which worked great in my smaller jar (8oz. mason). So I was gonna try that too. Thought I would ask though on here cause I don't want to waste my time again if this isn't even possible to achieve - no sooting on a 6" (more like 7") tall jar. It is a 26 oz. canning jar. I always wondered how people would wick the tall status jar or if anyone even attempted it.

What size CDs? Flickering and sooting make me wonder if you may need to wick up especially with that diameter container...

I always wondered how people would wick the tall status jar or if anyone even attempted it.

With a really long wick!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Sorry - I couldn't help it... I really wanna get one of those and pour a candle in it - they are such handsome containers!!

I tried wicking up to a 20 but that was to wild from the get go, so I backed down to an 18 and been sorta happy with that until I started getting anal about the sooting the last half. The HTP's I have been really happy with...thought I had it...until the last 1/3 about. Tried CSN but those acted like the CD's with lots of flickering until I wicked down, then not quite hot enough. I was thinking maybe I should go back to pure soy in that jar. I seem to have less soot, but then the dreaded frosting. That was why I switched to the parasoy so I could get rid of the frosting issue. The parasoy works great with all my other containers. I didn't want to buy the pure soy just for this one customer, but I need to go back and compare the soy to the parasoy. I found one stashed in the basement from 2008, and lit it, so we shall see. This one is only filled 1/3 so I should be able to tell very soon.

I am not talking about the last few mm. I am talking about the last 1/2 of the jar! And I never heard him say he had no sooting. He says he doesn't have much problem with it, but that is probably with no vanillas and spicy scents. That is about all I make for this customer, so that's out. I will try less f/o though. That is one thing I have not tried. Funny, I have been at this for about 8 years now and I STILL have things I never thought of trying! Thanks!

I visited a Catholic chapel today, and I'm always fascinated by the very tall container candles that are left to burn on the altar 24/7 unattended. I know they use only beeswax. But, I was checking out their container candles today because of your post. They're in straight-sided clear glass containers almost 12" tall and aprox 2-1/2" diameter, and they set that container inside a taller hurricane container, either clear or red glass, with a small mouth at the top. The candles burn down perfectly with very little oxygen, and they always have a melt pool of 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The wicks never mushroom, but they appear to have a very thin hairlike filament core.

Yes that amazes me as well. Maybe a miracle? Idk, beezwax with a zinc wick? I know zinc have a low ROC and with the metal core keeping the heat going.....I was thinking of trying zincs. I have some here, so what the heck. Whats one more tester! I think I have 6 candles burning right now...

Yes that amazes me as well. Maybe a miracle? Idk, beezwax with a zinc wick? I know zinc have a low ROC and with the metal core keeping the heat going.....I was thinking of trying zincs. I have some here, so what the heck. Whats one more tester! I think I have 6 candles burning right now...

LOL No doubt it's a miracle! But, yes, they do look like very thin zincs. I really like zincs in the 6006 I've used so far.