Wicking Patchouli EO in Soy

I only have CDN wicks handy, and they mushroomed terribly with 464 in the status/metro jars. The only other wicks in stock in Australia are HTP and ACS (local supplier brand), and I just put my order in today. Any other brands I should order? I don't mind ordering from over seas, I just hate the wait! :mad:

And by the way, any suggestions for wicking Lemongrass EO? Fingers crossed it isn't a tough one.

I haven't had any issues wicking Patchouli or Lemongrass EO. I think I wicked up one size for Patchouli but stayed my normal size for Lemongrass. I use my own blend of soy, mainly 464 so your results should be similar. I think Orange is very hard to wick, and clove.

Are the wicks you're waiting for the HTP and ACS? I use 3" diameter containers and my results always fell between the HTP 105 and 126. The 105 was slightly too small, and 126 was much too large for me. Very large gap between those two sizes. I loved HTP wicks and really wanted them to work. They had a very nice burn and throw for me. If they made something in between 105 and 126 they would be my wick of choice. Hope they work better for you.

That is very helpful. I have the 105 and 126 included in my order, hopefully one of those will be just right. I really appreciate your size suggestions.

I noticed when I used the CDN wicks in the Patch, not only would it mushroom, but the actual wick wouldn't easily disentegrate but instead turn into a long string of white ash (like a cigarette would do if not tapped). Is there a name for that?

Are the wicks you're waiting for the HTP and ACS?
Oops, I meant to answer earlier that yup, I don't have these yet and I'm waiting to get them. Not sure if the HTPs will be here by Friday :waiting:
Hopefully you have some 1212 and 1313 wicks, the 126 is a big one. Check the stats on the 126, it is significantly hotter and bigger (flame) than the 105.
rjdaines, I had NO IDEA that the 1212 and 1313 fell between the 105 and the 126. The supplier I ordered these from listed the wicks by number, not by ROC, so I assumed they were for huge diameter candles and that I'd have no use for them. Sooooooo, I didn't order them :( Thanks for the heads-up.

This link had good info on the HTPs ROC: http://www.wicksunlimited.com/atkins_pearce_htp_wicks.php

I know the 126 is supposed to have a higher ROC but I still found that 1212 and the 1313 were not suitable as the next step up from 105. Both 1212 and 1313 are very large wicks. That's why I stop testing with HTPs. They are nice burning wicks and up to the 105 they are spaced out appropriately, but who knows what the manufacturers were thinking after the 105. You should be fine with HTPs in smaller containers.

If you can order from candlesupply.com you should try the performas. They can mushroom but the other benefits outweigh that issue. I love that they don't curl like the other wicks. They get a slight bend but nothing like cds. Although the ACS wicks you ordered may work fine, I've never tried them.

I just looked at the chart and noticed that even though the 126 has a higher ROC the yield is higher and this is what they say about that - "Yield = Measured in yards of wick per pound in weight. The higher the yield, the smaller the wick and the flame and the resulting heat generated." The yield number for 126 is 249, 1212 is 201, and 1313 is 182. So according to this statement the 126 is smaller than the 1212 or 1313. It should have a smaller flame and generate less heat. Hmmm, very confusing chart!