I suck at math, need advice.

The only time this matters is if you are having some problem and need to know the exact amount or percentage FO (or other additive) you used in the candle... In truth, I use less than 5.88% because I also add USA to my wax blend, which increases the weight. Others who use additives like vybar, stearic acid, microcrystalline wax, etc. have an even bigger math problem to solve... *faint*

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time this matters is if you are having some problem and need to know the exact amount or percentage FO (or other additive) you used in the candle... In truth, I use less than 5.88% because I also add USA to my wax blend, which increases the weight. Others who use additives like vybar, stearic acid, microcrystalline wax, etc. have an even bigger math problem to solve... *faint*

My My Stella...you are a quick typer today. You had a reply posted to my reply before I got done correcting typos for the 2nd time this am....You Go Girl :highfive:

Edited by jeanie353

Don't even think about twisting my brain up anymore today :shocked2:

lol... @please don't make me!

I borrowed this from IWantItGreen's post...maybe it will help

Did you know that adding 2g FO to every 1 oz of wax = 7%.

Actually you don't have to convert. For approx. 1 lb:

You add 30 g FO to your pot. Tare. Add 15 oz. wax. Stir. Pour.

You are not converting anything. Your are taring.

Edited by jeanie353

OK. Here's how I would figure this using the online cheat site... I based it on needing to end up with exactly 16 oz. (or 1 lb.) of scented wax and converted this to grams for you. I rounded off the long decimal, too... But you can substitute ANY value for the 453.59 gms (16 oz.) if the total amount you need is more or less and you don't want to end up with any extra...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm

1 lb. = 16 ounce = 453.59 grams

What is 8% of 453.59 grams? Answer: 36.29 gms

http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm

. 8% =......36.29 gms FO

+ 92% =....417.30 gms wax

. 100.% =.. 453.59 total gms scented wax

Now that you have the links and the formula, you can practice by figuring the 6% figure... (hint: it's a weensie bit more than 1 oz. PP LOLOL)

HTH and doesn't break your brain before you've hit the coffeepot again...

Edited by Stella1952

OK. Here's how I would figure this using the online cheat site... I based it on needing to end up with exactly 16 oz. (or 1 lb.) of scented wax and converted this to grams for you. I rounded off the long decimal, too... But you can substitute ANY value for the 453.59 gms (16 oz.) if the total amount you need is more or less and you don't want to end up with any extra...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm

1 lb. = 16 ounce = 453.59 grams

What is 8% of 453.59 grams? Answer: 36.29 gms

http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm

. 8% =......36.29 gms FO

+ 92% =....417.30 gms wax

. 100.% =.. 453.59 total gms scented wax

Now that you have the links and the formula, you can practice by figuring the 6% figure... (hint: it's a weensie bit more than 1 oz. PP LOLOL)

HTH and doesn't break your brain before you've hit the coffeepot again...

I had to go into shut down mode after this....It is for self preservation purposes

C'mon, y'all - I was an English & Art major in college so you KNOW I am completely dyscalculate. I just played with this until the light bulb went on... took a couple of years... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

The key concept is whether you want to end up with an exact amount with none left over (in which case you have to do the above math) OR whether you want to end up with a little more. In either case, the amount you end up with is 100%. The whole enchilada. The entire candle. The wax and FO will be percentages of that enchilada which add up to 100%.

Let's try this: how much FO do you need if you want to end up with a total of 37 oz. of scented wax with a 9% FO load?:confused:

Edited by Stella1952

C'mon, y'all - I was an English & Art major in college so you KNOW I am completely dyscalculate. I just played with this until the light bulb went on... took a couple of years... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

The key concept is whether you want to end up with an exact amount with none left over (in which case you have to do the above math) OR whether you want to end up with a little more. In either case, the amount you end up with is 100%. The whole enchilada. The entire candle. The wax and FO will be percentages of that enchilada which add up to 100%.

Let's try this: how much FO do you need if you want to end up with a total of 37 oz. of scented wax with a 9% FO load?:confused:

3.33 oz of FO

:rolleyes2 This thing is still getting beaten to death? Forget it, it's been beaten, it died and is now in Math Heaven. How about if we put it all together and sell it online to help math-challenged chandlers? Cheap, only $10 a piece, available for download upon payment authorization! You guys are too much sometimes... :laugh2::laugh2:

Jeanie if we practice reading it verryyy slowwlly it'll be ok. I shook my head a little bit & that helped too! I got it. still having coffee for next issue.

The gram thing is too much for me...lol. I feel much better with the inherited knowledge of today to go with 1.12 oz pp FO to 1 lb of wax vs 1 oz pp. I'll try a little each day. Will take your advice to go verryyyy slowllly :laugh2:

:rolleyes2 This thing is still getting beaten to death? Forget it, it's been beaten, it died and is now in Math Heaven. How about if we put it all together and sell it online to help math-challenged chandlers? Cheap, only $10 a piece, available for download upon payment authorization! You guys are too much sometimes... :laugh2::laugh2:

If we all split the money, we could each buy more fragrances