can metal tape handle the heat

I'm low on mold sealer and it's not worth the s/h for one item. I was thinking of trying metal tape, I think it said it could handle 150 degrees but I usually pour at 170 to 175 degrees--anyone know if it handle that? I made the mistake of trying duct tape. I've thought about plumbers putty too but again wasn't sure about the heat factor. If so are they easier/harder to work with than the mold sealer?

I use plumbers putty without problems. It is much cheaper than the stuff that is sold as mold sealer, and you can buy it at Home Depot, Lowes, or a local hardware store. Walmart probably has it too (though never checked).

I use plumbers putty without problems. It is much cheaper than the stuff that is sold as mold sealer, and you can buy it at Home Depot, Lowes, or a local hardware store. Walmart probably has it too (though never checked).

Agree......

I use the metal tape all the time now (suggested by an expert on this forum!) and I never have a problem with it. Well, except getting the backing off = lol = but if you have good eyesight, that shouldn't bother you either! But seriously, I pout at about 175 to 185 and no problems.

Hmmm... I have used several different brands of plumber's putty and none of them have been slimy.

We had some from Home Depot that we recently purchased. It didn't hold by itself, so my husband put some of the older mold putty (actual candle style stuff) around the hole, then covered it with the plumber's putty. When I pulled it off, seems there was some sort of reaction between the two types and it was naaaaasty! Slimy like snot. Ew.

Can metal tape handle the heat?

Yes. I don't even use putty - just the metal tape in a big "X" over the wick hole when I pour palm wax pillars (205°F). Be sure to clean the underside of the mold and burnish the tape down smooth (no air bubbles, especially along the edges) so the adhesive can stick most effectively. And just in case, I always put pillar molds into a bowl, baking pan or plastic OxyClean bucket in case they decide to do something ignorant like leak all over the place anyway. You know how I know to do this...

I use metal tape, and it can handle the heat for me. Just make sure you cover the bottom very well so it won't leak. If you're concerned about the temperature, some of the brands/kinds advertise that they tolerate higher temperatures than 150 degrees.