Peaks 7 oz tumbler questions

Does anyone use these? If so, couple of questions. Are these good quality smooth glass or do they have "ripples" in the glass like some of the cheaper imports?

Also, anyone ever found a lid or cover for these?

Thanks!

Yes, a lovely candle Steve. Can I ask, why are those hard to wick? They have straight sides, and the diameter is under 3". Seems like an easy container to wick. Or is it a palm wax thing?

Edited by Camay

The way palm wax burns make this a tough jar to wick. I have MANY FO's that will just not give a burn that I desire. Leave hangups, tunnels to the bottom, etc. I don't know who makes them, haven't done any research into it. They are called Symphony (or something like that) on some sites.

Steve

They're not quite 3" in diameter, though. But the 11.50 oz tumblers are 3" dia.

Are you looking for a 3" diameter jar?

Steve, do you know of other suppliers of this jar? I've been looking around and can't find it. I'd buy from Peak, but the shipping to the east coast is as much as the jars.

Are you looking for a 3" diameter jar?

Steve, do you know of other suppliers of this jar? I've been looking around and can't find it. I'd buy from Peak, but the shipping to the east coast is as much as the jars.

Yes, I would like to use a 3" diameter jar or tumbler because of the wider melt pool giving a stronger scent throw. I love the scent throw from the tureens, but I can't get them locally anymore. The only thing locally I can get with a 3" diameter & a lid is the Ball 1 pint regular mouth mason jars.

I can get 3" Libbey cubes & 3" diameter status jars at Dollar Tree, but no lid.

I called some local restaurant supplies to see if they have any Libbey tumblers or old fashioned glasses or rocks glasses I could use, but they charge $80 for a case of 36, & that's more than I would pay to order from out of state. Also, they don't have the right ones in stock anyway, not a good selection at all.

I tried Garden Ridge, but nothing good there either.

I found the same thing with my local restaurant supply stores. Not a good assortment, and for the ones that could be used for candles, they were $$$$.

I don't understand why restaurant supplies would not be a fantastic source of cheap tumblers, rocks glasses, & old fashioned glasses! Maybe the bars & restaurants should buy their glassware from the candle suppliers!

I just realized that the Ball 1 pint regular mouth mason jars are not a full 3" diameter. :(

Taylored Concepts had the sticky clear plastic covers for the Libbey cubes, & also round ones, they looked so nice! but now they're out of business & I haven't seen those sticky covers anywhere else.

I don't understand why restaurant supplies would not be a fantastic source of cheap tumblers, rocks glasses, & old fashioned glasses!

Some restaurant suppliers carry glassware that is manufactured for use with candles. Most carry glassware manufactured for drinking. Big difference. WalMart & KMart carry Libby & Anchor Hocking glassware. You might find a deal at a kitchen supply store. I find canning jars at grocery stores (Albertson's has the ones I use). Sometimes feed & seed stores carry canning glassware.

The wide mouth half-pint canning jars are 3" in diameter. Standard half pints are not.

Here are some east coast (or local) sources for you to check:

Dollar Tree Direct

http://www.dollartreedirect.com/

Yes Supply

http://www.yessupplyco.com/

Freund Containers

http://www.freundcontainer.com/search.asp_Q_viewall_E_1_A_t_E_c_A_c_E_28

SKS Bottle

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/G2.html

Thanks, Stella! The Kerr 1/2 pint seems like a great jar. I just haven't seen those around here in OK. I loved the tureens, but the local candle supply went out of business.

I'll try Albertsons & the others. I never see anything good at my Walmart. I love Dollar Tree. I just wish I could get tumbers around here & then order the lids that would fit.

I'll try those links.

I was looking at the 1 pint square masons again, & I guess they are 3-1/4" diameter, & so are the cute little 8 oz square masons. I just don't like all the writing on the 8 oz square masons, but other than that they're perfect. I wish they made unembossed ones, but they don't.

TrueValue, Walmart, Hoopes Hardware, Lowe's and some other stores have free shipping on their canning jars, but the only 1/2 pint jars are the jj.

A couple of days ago I saw the 8 oz quilted jj's for only $2 per case at Lowe's. But, I want the wider jars. Maybe I'll just have to order tureens. Darn it! I just want local jars!!!!! sigh...

Edited by HorsescentS

The original wide mouth half-pints are increasingly harder to find - that's why I mentioned Albertson's... They are being replaced with overpriced, fancy-schmancy jars...

Here's a link to buying them online from Jardin (who bought Kerr & Ball jar companies)

http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/products/kerr_jars_lids/wide_mouth

Below is a link to a list of their US retailers, but I'd suggest you call first and BE SURE they actually stock the

Kerr 8 oz. wide mouth jars with lids (12 per package) Item #00500 (UPC 7061000500)

http://www2.freshpreserving.com/pages/view_all_retailers/114.php

BTW, status, metro & large hex jars all come in 3" diameters. I believe there are some salsa jars, too, that are 3 inchers...

Good luck with your quest! :)

Thanks, Stella!

I wish it wasn't so hard to find a local 8 - 11 oz container, with a lid, with a nice big 3" diameter.

Edited to add: Wow! I just checked the 8 oz tins at Candlescience, which have a 3" diameter, maybe a bit more, & I can get 10 cases of those & only pay $15 in shipping from 1,000 miles away?? Am I dreaming?

If those sell well at all, I think that since I'm so new at this, I should just save money & buy tins for my small candles. I love the tumblers Steve is using, but when you have to buy the glass & the lids & pay shipping, it's too much for me right now.

Edited by HorsescentS

Ha ha...so does anyone have the answer to my original question? Are these smooth quality glass, or "ripply" on the inside like the cheaper imports? Learned alot about other jars through all the other info in this thread though:)

You have to understand glass. Antique lookin' glass has bubbles and ripples but is "new" glass made well, often made better than the original. Bubbles and ripples do NOT necessarily connote poorly made glass - it all depends on the purpose for which the glass is manufactured. Some recycled glass has these wonderful qualities, yet it made to handle the rigors of the use for which it was manufactured. Recycled glass is NOT the same as "cheap" glass - it's all in how it's made. Learn about how glass is made and you will learn what's hot and what's not.

You have to understand glass. Antique lookin' glass has bubbles and ripples but is "new" glass made well, often made better than the original. Bubbles and ripples do NOT necessarily connote poorly made glass - it all depends on the purpose for which the glass is manufactured. Some recycled glass has these wonderful qualities, yet it made to handle the rigors of the use for which it was manufactured. Recycled glass is NOT the same as "cheap" glass - it's all in how it's made. Learn about how glass is made and you will learn what's hot and what's not.

The reason I ask about smoothness, is because of jar adhesion. With my particular blend, if the glass is smooth on the inside, I get zippo wetspots. If it's "wavy"not so much...lots of them and big ones. I know we are supposed to embrace those, but I'd rather not. I'd rather have great adhesion:)