Anyone ever add coconut oil to 6006?

Finally testing 6006. Plan to pour it up as is, plus thought I might tinker with adding coconut oil. Any 6006 users that have done this and would like to share your results, opinions etc?

I've added coconut oil to many other parasoy blends I've tested and I swear it helps prevent mushrooms...even with my zinc wicks.

• 2 weeks later...

newbie to the board here.... I switched from 6006 to CB Advanced because of cost and I really really regret it! I come across this thread to when reading other threads to talk myself back into the cost of switching back to 6006 and may I ask what is the ratio of CO you put in your wax and what is the benefit.

I have all of my candle stuff sitting now for 6 months after some discouragement (but mostly because we moved lol) and I want to get them going again for fall but I want something consistent.

What are your preferred wicks then? My friend uses 6006 and swears by Simply Soy wicks from WSP. Thank you in advance!

My best advice would be to mix 85% 6006 with 15% soy and pour into room temp jars and don't cover. I like cds for wicking. This is a good formula and you could throw some coconut oil in there but it didn't do anything for the candle in my testing. I eventually stayed with my old wax (Clarus/TCS 70/30) because of costs and if it ain't broke why fix it? HTH

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

You're welcome. The added soy gives you a 50/50 soy/paraffin mixture (roughly). It improves appearance and is much easier to wick IMHO, although some advocate the wax as is with nothing added. Clarus offers their own version of 6006 as well. My only problem with 6006 is how unforgiving it can be on the amount of fo you use. Otherwise, I think its a great wax. HTH

Steve

Sure. Lets say I used .50 oz in an 8 oz container and the test burn was perfect. I mix one that is a little more than .50 and the wax smokes and the flame burns low. My current wax would forgive me that little extra amount and burn more or less the same. Now, this has been my experience and others may not have had that happen for them. I think its a great wax but it does tend to lose adhesion to the container wall over a period of time.

Steve

Sure. Lets say I used .50 oz in an 8 oz container and the test burn was perfect. I mix one that is a little more than .50 and the wax smokes and the flame burns low. My current wax would forgive me that little extra amount and burn more or less the same. Now, this has been my experience and others may not have had that happen for them. I think its a great wax but it does tend to lose adhesion to the container wall over a period of time.

Steve

Wow! That's very interesting! Thank you.

• 5 months later...
... I think its a great wax but it does tend to lose adhesion to the container wall over a period of time.

Steve

I am wondering if adding CO to 6006 will help it not lose adhesion to the glass over time. I switched from 6006 to 4627 because I read it had the strongest HT, and that more FOs will throw in paraffin, and I do like 4627 very much with zinc wicks. I find it very easy to work with and get out of the bag. But, as I smell my candles burning, I was thinking, "Is it just my imagination or did the 6006 have more depth and richness to the HT?" After burning some of my old candles, I think the answer is YES, and my daughter agrees, so I'm thinking of buying more 6006. I just didn't like the way some of my candles shrunk away from the jars over the months and looked like hard playdoh. So, will adding CO help that? Do you add 1 tablespoon p.p.?

I am wondering if adding CO to 6006 will help it not lose adhesion to the glass over time. I switched from 6006 to 4627 because I read it had the strongest HT, and that more FOs will throw in paraffin, and I do like 4627 very much with zinc wicks. I find it very easy to work with and get out of the bag. But, as I smell my candles burning, I was thinking, "Is it just my imagination or did the 6006 have more depth and richness to the HT?" After burning some of my old candles, I think the answer is YES, and my daughter agrees, so I'm thinking of buying more 6006. I just didn't like the way some of my candles shrunk away from the jars over the months and looked like hard playdoh. So, will adding CO help that? Do you add 1 tablespoon p.p.?

Horsescents, do you have some 100% soy wax laying around. Try adding that to your 6006, starting at about 15%.

Horsescents, do you have some 100% soy wax laying around. Try adding that to your 6006, starting at about 15%.

Thanks, IwantItgreen. I was thinking about adding soy to 6006, and adding soy to my remaining 45 lbs of 4627. So many decisions. But, what will adding soy to 6006 do for it? Wouldn't it reduce the HT?

You might try a little petrolatum (sticky wax) for improved adhesion. I tried co in 6006 and it wasn't a good mix but maybe if you tried adding the 15% soy and 1 tbs pp of co you could get a nice adhesion going. Worth a shot. I like 6006 the best of those blends.

Steve

Thank you, I'll probably try those suggestions. I was hoping not to get into adding things and mixing things, but I'm being sucked in by the tractor beam...cannot resist the force...

I was wondering if adding 15% soy to the 6006 makes the blend more comparable to 6098. I purchase both from the same supplier and they said the 6098 is very similar to 6006 but it is supposed to be a "premium" version of it. I believe it has to contain more soy as I had my very first experience with frosting when I made my first candle with it. The ct/ht was very good with it though, just had to put it aside until I get all the kinks worked out of my 6006.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering if adding 15% soy to the 6006 makes the blend more comparable to 6098. I purchase both from the same supplier and they said the 6098 is very similar to 6006 but it is supposed to be a "premium" version of it. I believe it has to contain more soy as I had my very first experience with frosting when I made my first candle with it. The ct/ht was very good with it though, just had to put it aside until I get all the kinks worked out of my 6006.

Interesting! I'm planning to try 6098 soon.

Tonight I made 2 Dollar Tree status jar candles with 6006 and added 1 Tablespoon of CO p.p., and 1 oz of FO per 15 oz of wax. They sure smell super strong! I can't believe how strong the scent is after only pouring 2 candles, so it must be the CO making them smell stronger because that's what I did different. I wanted to try adding CO to 6006 and see what that does before adding 15% soy to it. Will let you know in a week.

Hmmm...Impressive so far! I just discovered that someone lowered our thermostat down to 60 degrees, so it was very cold in the room where those two candles have been cooling for 7 hours, and they don't have any wet spots. The tops are very flat, even though I can see that the wax level has shrunk quite a bit from when I poured them at 150 degrees. I think the CO is helping a lot so far.

• 11 months later...