What would you do?

mommy2xp

I got this email this morning, from a woman that owns a very busy store. She INTENDS to order in the spring. This has red flags all over it, but I don't know what a good professional response would be. I thought about a little white lie, about it's inventory time and I am closed or out of supplies.

So, my inspiring friends what would you do?

"Hi. I was wondering if you would be willing to sell me a small order of

10 oz or 16 oz at wholesale before Christmas? I would want non Christmas

scents 2-3 of one of the vanillas, 2-3 hot apple pie, 2-3 of another scent.

I know you make your living this way, but it would sure help me out so I

thought I would ask. I will be placing a regular order with you in the

spring.

Let me know what you decide.

Thanks!"

For wholesale you need to set minimums. I have a customer that orders from me and wants one of this and one of that, tealights, votives, in the beginning I took her on because the person who she was ordering from just stopped answeing her emails. I would first ask for a copy of her liscense and ask her if she has a webisite. I have just sent my customer and email with set minimum amounts, I feel if someone wants me to invest in their business, they need to know there are minimums set to cover our costs, sounds like she wants Chrismas gifts to me.

I would say that is not a large enough order for wholesale. Now if she wants these candles before Christmas like she says then maybe she is really planning on giving them as gifts. You never know.:tongue2: I would set a minimum like Cindy said and just tell her that you are delighted she is interested in your candles for her store but you have to keep the wholesale minimum the same for everyone.

I would tell her that she needs to purchase these at retail, as they do not meet the wholesale minimum. Then add that should she decide to purchase in bulk from you in the spring, she may be able to receive a credit for this purchase, the credit amount being the difference between your retail and wholesale price.

My response regardless of who you are is:

We have a strict policy of $200 for first time orders, reorders is $100. If you do not meet minimum order requirement, there is a 15% added on charge. Shipping is your responsibility. A business or pst number is required. There is a min., order on each fragrance and each item. If you bend for these people once, they will expect it everytime. You have to stick to your guns or they won't consider you a legit business.

I know sometimes you end up getting desparate because you want the sales or it could turn out to be something wonderful in the future, but if they are as legit as they say they are, then they also know the ropes and shouldn't expect this of you.

This is all such good advice.

I had never really thought about a surcharge. I have seen them range from $15 to $25 on other wholesale businesses. I think this is something that I could consider adding to my policy.

Thanks so much for your input!

Something to think about.. The wholesale minimum isn't just to get the orders easy to make, it also commands presence in the store. With 10 candles in the store, it just looks weak. With 50 candles in the store, you'll have your own little section and your sales will be higher.

Stick to your guns, all the time, every time.

Do you know her, or know of her? You said that she has a "very busy store".

I am just curious as to how you are going to "help her out"? Since she is not interested in Christmas Scents, I am just somewhat confused as to what her motives are. Personal use? Gifts? Resale? Sampling?

Whats up here?

I aggree with the others that you should have your minimums, policies etc, but if she has a "busy store" and is interested in your line, I would be curious as to how 6-9 candles ( not even totally specific about the size) is going to "help her out".

I think that Bunny makes an excellent point for everyone to consider. The "Campbells Soup" theory that people do not buy what there are only one or two of on the shelf.I think that the study states that there should be a minimum of 12 each of each item offered. I know in my store ( which is totally stocked..neat and organized, but FULL) the few times we have had back orders or got down to a minimal number of one of the items we carry,they just sit there and did not move.

Interesting thread!