Wax dipped bears

Pristina

Are these little guys good sellers? I think it's a cute idea but have always wondered if customers think so. Is the scent throw good? It seems like the bear would be so messy :P

I have tons of 1oz FO Samples that I want to get creative with and get rid of. The wax dipped bears came to mind since there wouldn't be any testing involved :D

I have sold mostly to people I know or friends of friends. I don't do farmers markets or shows so my experiences would be vastly different from those who are in business. I do sell on ebay though and threw up a listing for custom ones. I mostly market to Cheerleaders & Cheer Mom's though. At any rate, I enjoy making them very much and that is what matters to me mostly.

I don't do the dipped bears, I do the injected bears and I had a pretty nice response to them at a craft show this past weekend. I inject about an ounce of FO into an 8" bear. They're less messy to make, package and handle then the dipped bears. I don't dress the bears up like some do, I package them in cello bags and tie it shut with colored tulle. I usually add some colored shred in the bottom of the bag that the bear sits on.

How long does the scent last when just injecting them? Does the FO ever run out the bottom???

I would think the scent would last a long time. It's the fibers that fill the bear that are absorbing the FO. I don't fill the bear with that much FO that it would leak. I inject both arms, both legs, the head and the belly area. I use more FO in the head and in the belly area, both areas have more fiber filling than the arms and legs.

• 1 year later...
I don't do the dipped bears, I do the injected bears and I had a pretty nice response to them at a craft show this past weekend. I inject about an ounce of FO into an 8" bear. They're less messy to make, package and handle then the dipped bears. I don't dress the bears up like some do, I package them in cello bags and tie it shut with colored tulle. I usually add some colored shred in the bottom of the bag that the bear sits on.

This is interesting, because I've always read that you can't really tell what an FO smells like until it's been mixed with wax, so do you ever mix the FO with wax before injecting?

Thanks, I didn't think of that... for horses... :grin2:

On page 6 of these instructions from NG, it says you can inject extra scented wax into your dipped bear at the end, but if that's the case, why bother to squeeze out the excess scented wax in the first place? why not just leave it in there? wouldn't that be the same as injecting it with extra scented wax at the end? http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/mas_assets/pdf/932.pdf

Edited by HorsescentS