URGENT! Help needed with liquid soap making

kezerb

Hi,

I've just tried my hand at liquid soap making and OMG when I added the lye its bubbled up like hell, over flowed the pot and just keeps growing and growing. I've taken it out in the garden for now but what the heck happened? Is it supposed to happen?!

Please help QUICKLY

recipe is

Coconut oil (76 degree) 113.6g

Palm kernel oil 113.6g

Lard 16 ounces 227.2g

Distilled water 363.52g

Lye—potassium hydroxide 115.531g

It is suppose to do that. Did you add the Potassium hydroxide to the water or the other way around? You are suppose to add the Lye to the water and not the water to the lye. Yes the flakes will heat up fast I add my slowly a little at a time.

Barbara AL

• 2 weeks later...

I had that happen to me once when I added the lye water to my oils, I think it might have either been too hot or added too quickly, mine was a big pink volcano that bubbled everything out of the pot and down the drain. Next batch I added it really slow at a slightly lower temp with no problems. I don't make much liquid soap though so maybe someone else can better explain what happened.

Cheers cowgirl :) I think the oils were too hot on my part, and possibly combined with my pot which I think isn't stainless steel made for a major disaster! I've heard that you should do it in a double boiler or crock pot to, too keep the heat even, but I did mine straight over the hob :\