Update on Taylored Concepts

bugtussle

Has anyone ordered from them recently? I ordered my 12oz salsa jars from them cause Fillmore out til maybe Jan 2012 and haven't heard from them. Emailed them last night and if I don't hear will call in next day or so. My card was charged on the 10th

Wow, you shouldn't have been able to checkout. I just tried it and it's not letting me complete my order. If your card was charged, you should contact Robert directly by phone. hmm?

Maybe he's opening shop again!? One can only hope.

Barbara AL have you heard anything? ;)

Edited by rctfavr3

WOW 2731 posts must give you the right to be snobby. It's closed we get it. But you don't have to be rude about it. But that isn't to say that we would "still" like to know where to buy Robert's FO. And no, AAAcandlesupply doesn't even carry 2/3rds of TC's stock. Others simply want an understanding as to why they closed. If you don't have anything constructive to say...why bother posting.

Now I'm confused. Did you buy the jars through the tc site, which still has some active buy buttons, or through aaa? I've placed my 2nd order for jars with aaa. The first time took a week, the second time took 2 days.

I will add that if Taylored is done, he should not have any active links to purchase products on his site. That's just my opinion.

Edited by Sharon44

WOW 2731 posts must give you the right to be snobby. It's closed we get it. But you don't have to be rude about it. But that isn't to say that we would "still" like to know where to buy Robert's FO. And no, AAAcandlesupply doesn't even carry 2/3rds of TC's stock. Others simply want an understanding as to why they closed. If you don't have anything constructive to say...why bother posting.

Post count has nothing to do with it. Yes I, guess that was a bit snobby, but it gets really old telling newbies a place has closed. I also didn't say AAA had his oils, it's on TC's website to go there. SOS & NG have the only weird oils I know of.

What??? :shocked2: But I thought some glass containers were ASTM approved candle glass, right? I've read lots of comments on here about that. I don't even know what ASTM stands for, however. & what about all those threads about liability & how we have to stick to ASTM approved candle glass from a candle supply in case we get sued?

Yep, there is ASTM approved candle glass. :)

Yep, there is ASTM approved candle glass. :)

Thanks, Jeanie. I know there is ASTM approved candle glass, but my question arose when I was told that not all the candle glass carried by the candle suppliers is ASTM approved. I was shocked by that, since I had assumed that the candle suppliers would only carry ASTM candle glass. AAA has a lot of neat glass containers, but I noticed they have some Libbey ones that are not in the candle glass section of the Libbey catalogue. Specifically, those cute margarita glasses with the green cactus stems.

Edited by HorsescentS

Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion but after I read my post I admit I should have said I ordered from AAA. I guess I thought we all knew Taylored was closed from reading the post about it. My apologies. I try not to post to often and now I remember why:tiptoe:

Edited by grama

Thanks, Jeanie. I know there is ASTM approved candle glass, but my question arose when I was told that not all the candle glass carried by the candle suppliers is ASTM approved. I was shocked by that, since I had assumed that the candle suppliers would only carry ASTM candle glass. AAA has a lot of neat glass containers, but I noticed they have some Libbey ones that are not in the candle glass section of the Libbey catalogue. Specifically, those cute margarita glasses with the green cactus stems.

I really don't know if all candle suppliers carry ASTM candle glass. I'm going to assume they all do not and we have to look for the ones who state they are, if we want that for our containers. Maybe calling the supplier hoping they could answer that question?

I am very afraid of just picking up containers from certain places where they are less expensive only because I don't know what I am getting. Right now I am getting mine from The Candlemaker's Store. I started with them about three years ago before I knew about the ASTM approved thing. I didn't check the site before posting to see if they are verified ASTM but I feel pretty confident saying they are very good quality if not ASTM. I've not had any that have broke and do a final step of power burning each scent after it seems successfully wicked. I have only used the Apothecary Jars and Tumblers from them though.

I also didn't run into any problems using the Kerr or Ball mason jars when I used them many years back from Walmart or Kmart.

Wish I could of been more help. I thought your question was about the ASTM approval in general as to whether or not it existed. AAA has a lot of neat glass containers...I agree. They are also reasonably priced. I've looked at their stuff but haven't purchased from them. Maybe someone will chime in if they know the quality or any ASTM approval.

GL

Edited by jeanie353

I really don't know if all candle suppliers carry ASTM candle glass. I'm going to assume they all do not and we have to look for the ones who state they are, if we want that for our containers. Maybe calling the supplier hoping they could answer that question?

I am very afraid of just picking up containers from certain places where they are less expensive only because I don't know what I am getting. Right now I am getting mine from The Candlemaker's Store. I started with them about three years ago before I knew about the ASTM approved thing. I didn't check the site before posting to see if they are verified ASTM but I feel pretty confident saying they are very good quality if not ASTM. I've not had any that have broke and do a final step of power burning each scent after it seems successfully wicked. I have only used the Apothecary Jars and Tumblers from them though.

I also didn't run into any problems using the Kerr or Ball mason jars when I used them many years back from Walmart or Kmart.

Wish I could of been more help. I thought your question was about the ASTM approval in general as to whether or not it existed. AAA has a lot of neat glass containers...I agree. They are also reasonably priced. I've looked at their stuff but haven't purchased from them. Maybe someone will chime in if they know the quality or any ASTM approval.

GL

I really don't even know what constitutes "ASTM certified", but I was on Candlemaker's store looking at their new sale stuff when I saw this post. So I emailed them to ask.. here's what they said:

"ASTM certification does not apply to glassware, so the answer to you

question would be no they are not, because it is not a required

certification."

Thank you,

The Candlemaker's Store

???????????

For those of you that are interested in ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) certified glass containers for candles, there is a link below for a .pdf file I found that gives you high lights of the ASTM F2179-02(2007) Standard for Annealed glass, the cost for the complete original version is $35 on ASTM's website but this is a good overview. Please don't be fooled by the line that states "not a requirement" or "not mandatory", The "Code of Federal Regulations" which is mandatory makes references to the ASTM and many other independent standards groups which makes them mandatory practices.

http://www.eca-candles.com/pdf/WorldCandleCongress/ASTM%20Standards%20and%20the%20Candle%20Industry%20-%20Becker%20Moss.pdf

"ASTM certification does not apply to glassware, so the answer to you question would be no they are not, because it is not a required

certification."

Thank you,

The Candlemaker's Store

What a shame The Candlemaker's Store is so unaware of the ASTM Standards for the industry they serve. Perhaps you should drop them a reply with this link...

http://www.candles.org/industry.html

... since apparently they did not attend the World Candle Congress where the discussion Caft linked to above was presented...

ASTM Standards at this time are VOLUNTARY. State and Federal regulations may apply and vary. What IS A SHAME is that manufacturers, suppliers and retailers apparently need to be FORCED, by passing regulations for safety standards, to comply with safety standards. After reading the link Caft provided, I was a little astonished that the ASTM standards for glassware are as lax as they are. I would have hoped they would be more stringent since the temperature inside containers can exceed the ones given in the ASTM standards testing and the amount of thermal shock can easily exceed a range of 90°F.

I have worked with glass since the 1970s. I have seen the quality of glassware diminish dramatically in the past 20 years. The glass objects common in WalMart's craft area (hearts, globs, etc.) are some of the most p*s-poor glass I have ever seen. That glass will chip, scallop, crack and shatter with NO thermal shock because it is not annealed properly. It will break simply sitting on the counter because of the internal stress in the glass that some overseas glass manufacturers do not relieve by proper annealing methods - it's a step they skip that allows them to sell their products more cheaply.

Those same factories that put out that poor quality "hobby glass" are also the same ones that manufacture cheap-ass glassware for candles. The styles are knocked off from major reputable glass manufacturers like Libbey, Anchor, Corning, and others, and then are shipped all over the world at a fraction of the cost of good quality glassware. Because the styles are similar and many customers don't know the difference, wholesalers buy this cheap glass for far less and sell it for almost as much as quality glassware, increasing their profit margin. Who loses in this sweet deal? The end user. The customer who buys a product in good faith. Shame on all those greedheads. I'd like to see the CPSC concentrate more on the products that WE buy to manufacture our products, rather than simply on the end products.

Just because it is not illegal to sell substandard, poorly manufactured glassware is NO EXCUSE FOR LACK OF ETHICS. When people scream about all the regulations industry is subjected to today, they have greedhead industry weasels to thank for the necessity for such regulations. If a wholesaler, manufacturer or retailer is not compelled by law to adhere to certain standards, some sorry ones will always choose to make the decision that fattens their wallets the most rather than think of what is best for the general public. Excessive regulation is NOT the fault of government, it is the fault of industries who refuse to apply simple ethics to their business practices and police their own ranks. JMHO

Edited by Stella1952

I actually did reply with a link from NCA. They replied back that they just go by what the manufacturers of the containers tell them. And that they understood if all manufacturers did not go through the certification since it can be "quite costly".

Would you please refrain from talking about glass in this thread from now on. The info is interesting and all, but the discussion does not apply to fragrance any more and the information on glass would be better off in its own thread. It would be nice to be able to split up this thread and start a new one for you guys but someone else will need to do it.

• 1 month later...

I have read several places in this thread and in a few others that AAA is owned by Nevitts. We order from Nevitts, and they inpression we got form them is that there are not the owners of AAA. Could be wrong but i was thinking another company is the ones that owns AAA. I am thinking it is Airabella that owns AAA.

I have read several places in this thread and in a few others that AAA is owned by Nevitts. We order from Nevitts, and they inpression we got form them is that there are not the owners of AAA. Could be wrong but i was thinking another company is the ones that owns AAA. I am thinking it is Airabella that owns AAA.

Maybe the Nevitts sold AAA in the last 6 months, but I can tell you for a fact that at that time, they owned AAA. To my knowledge, they always have. We met Mr. Nevitt there and he talked to us about making some of our FOs. I have never heard of Airabella. We are going there in January so I can update here if there have been any changes. We buy FOs, glass and wax from them. Carole