New to Candles!

Cinder

Hey guys! I've been haunting these forums for a while now, finally registered and am posting my first set of pics. I have been working with Palm Wax, and love making container candles. These are from my batch this morning, the green one is Carribean Teakwood, orange is Birds of Paradise, and blue is Clean Cotton. All of the fragrances are from Candle Science, and smell fabulous! I only had to do one pour on these, the tops turned out perfect! I really like how the palm wax crystalizes like this. :yay:

post-13595-139458482692_thumb.jpg

Kind of.. I made a few the other day with the same wax, wicks, etc, and they burned great IMO. I wanted the wax on the edges to stay so the jars would keep looking nice after burning the candle. They burn evenly down the center of the candle, and the wax pool is about 2&1/2 inches in diameter, leaving just enough around the edges. The only time i notice any smoke would be when I blow it out. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Hope your testing works out. It prefer candles that keep the glass toucheable which means leaving some hang on the sides. Sounds like you are making a safe burning candle, especially since palm tends to need a lot of heat compared to paraffin and soy.

They look nice. I hope the bottom is a half inch or more when the flame goes out.

Those look lovely! Palm wax is my favorite! What kind of palm wax is this? You didn't mention if this is Glass Glow container wax you are using or a pillar blend - because of the pattern it looks like a pillar blend to me. If you use the container blend, you will have more even crystal patterns, especially if your pour hot, and cool slowly and evenly.

A melt pool of the size you stated is typical of palm wax - it burns straight down, then out. Many sizes of wicks have an initial MP of 2½" because palm wax has a very narrow range between liquid & solid (ie. virtually no soft stage). During the last half of the burn, the sides will begin weeping and "catching up." If one wicks for the MP to hit the edge before the halfway mark, one will end up with a waaaay overwicked candle and a hot container. Palm wax does not burn like paraffin nor soy in this regard.

If your wicking is properly dialed in, the luminary effect you like will last until nearly the end of the candle, but will become thinner and thinner. If wicked for best efficiency and consumption, there will not be much (if any) hangup on the sides by the time the wick self-extinguishes at the end of the candle. A slightly taller, more narrow container makes for a more pleasing luminary effect, but can be a little trickier to wick accurately. A 4" single wicked palm wax candle is probably gonna leave hangup... Remember to test burn them all the way to the end before drawing any conclusions about the wick size.

The only time i notice any smoke would be when I blow it out
Instead of extinguishing by blowing the flame out, try dipping the wick carefully back into the wax, then straightening. This eliminates any post-flame smoking and reprimes the wick with wax for the next burn. HTH Edited by Stella1952

I will definately start extinguishing my candles that way! I think it was a pillar wax I used, I can't really find a container wax in my area.

Who still sells it online without having to purchase a whole UPS truck? hehe