Soap beveler

Lrhea

Thanks for the feedback... I have read mixed reviews about the For Crafts Sake "Little Shaver".... some people love it and others say it is rough on the soap.

I will say I read more good than bad though.

I also noticed Kangaroo Blue used to sell what looked like a nice beveler/planer but I dont think they are in business anymore.

I might order the "Little Shaver" since that is all it seems like it out there and if i dont like it I'm just going get one of the cornering tools.

Thanks for the insight! :-)

Glad you asked that question! I have tried the tools from Lee Valley and a veggie peeler. Both work very well, but the edges one bevels are somewhat inconsistent because one holds the tool in one hand and the soap in the other. The Li'l Shaver looks good to me. Gonna have to try one of those. Thanks again!

Yes, the little shaver can be a bit rough on the soap. The material it is made with is a bit rough...reminds me of trex decking. Anyway...I actually taped wax paper to my shaver to cut down on the roughness :)

Here is one I just beveled today with my shaver

post-10297-139458482177_thumb.jpg

Edited by debratant

I have some just like Kitn, has except mine are a silver metal. They work great, depending on big you want the bevel to be there are 4 sizes to choose from. You hold the bar of soap in your hand an drag one of the little ovals down the side. A friend gave me my set, I love them.

Super easy to make look around the center of the pic, there is a piece of wire between the two boards wrapped around two screws in the back. It's the fastest and easiest of all the bevelers I've used, children can use it and have done so many times :smiley2:

bevel.jpg

Edited by eugenia

Eugenia, thank you so much for posting that photo! I'm SOLD!! It occurred to me, when admiring the simple brilliance of your shaper, that one could also figure out a way to attach a router bit for fancier corners in place of the wire, if desired. I think I have some old, dull rusty ones someplace in the shop. I can hardly wait to build one of these!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

My problem with vegetable peelers and the wood shaper tools is that both the soap and the tool are hand held. Despite my best efforts, it's difficult to get the width and depth of the bevel exactly the same every time. I like the idea of a shaper where the soap is passed over a fixed blade along a channel so that the cut is uniform every time.

Edited by Stella1952

My problem with vegetable peelers and the wood shaper tools is that both the soap and the tool are hand held. Despite my best efforts, it's difficult to get the width and depth of the bevel exactly the same every time. I like the idea of a shaper where the soap is passed over a fixed blade along a channel so that the cut is uniform every time.

Correct, the bevel will be uniform with this one.

e

Look closely in the middle of the "blank" space in the beveller... there is a wire there which is affixed to the back. The soap is held snug to one of the sides with the unbeveled edge in the space between the boards. As it passes the wire, it is trimmed by the wire. If the soap is held snugly against the boards as it passes, the bevel will be absolutely uniform each time.

Edited by Stella1952