A cavity forms in the center of my candle when it cools off

Hi everyone,

I'm an absolute newbie in candle making. In fact, I purchased the ingredients and a mold yesterday and made my first candle. After about and hour of filling the mold, you could already see a cavity forming in the center of the candle. When the candle was cold, the cavity had about 1 to 1 and a half inches of depth.

I had used 25 grams of stearic acid and 8 ounces of parafin wax. I also used a little dye, but no fragance (I forgot to put it in because I was too excited).

I'm letting my second candle cool off right now, but it was already showing the same behaviour. This time I used 9 ounces of parafin wax and the same amount of stearic acid. I left a little molten wax to "refill" the cavity but then a lot of bubbles appeared. I guess the molten wax was not hot enough.

I'd like to know if there's a definitive way of avoiding this cavity from forming. My wife even suggested using the candle upside down, which seems reasonable, but I hope there's a better solution.

I appreciate your help.

Mauricio

The forum search isn't working so I'll take pity on you...

First off, when you make a pillar candle in a mold, the bottom of the mold IS the top of the candle.

As the paraffin cools, it shrinks. You need to poke some relief holes near the wick. Chinese chopsticks work well. Saving extra wax for a repour is good. Just let the candle cool with relief holes. Then heat your repour wax to 10° hotter than your candle and pour to the top of the candle - not the mold. If you go higher than the candle it will run down between the candle and the mold.

When it is completely cool, remove from the mold, turn it over and level the bottom. Enjoy!

Watch out, though...it is completely addictive!

It's mostly a combination of aesthetic and mold shape. Some of the non concave molds can be used regularly, where the pour is the top. But that leaves a chance for a rippled surface on the top, which isn't always desirable. A lot of candle makers will level the bottoms of the candles, at the pour, and it doesn't quite look right if you do it to the top. Also the pour opening can sometimes be jagged, depending on your final pour and so many other circumstances. But it all boils down to personal choice.