Yaley Premium Wax from Michaels, parffin, max fragrance oil load?????

Not bad so far. The candle has completed six 4 hr. burn tests without dripping. With the lower ROC (0.18 oz/hr) I'm concerned it might drip in the future. Also, a little more HT would bew nice but it is definitely progress. About the only thing I really don't like is the top becoming lopsided on the sixth test burn. This is due to the curve of the flat braid wick melting the rim away on one side. Hopefully, it will correct itself on the next test burn. I suppose it would help if I hugged the candle next time. Overall, the results are promising.

Tomorrow, I'll remove another candle from it's mold and see if 3/4 of a tsp. pp was enough vybar to eliminate weeping and mottling. Quite possibly 1 tsp. pp is more than necessary and locking up some of the FO. What ever the result the next candle I make will use 1 Tbs. pp of Stearic acid. That is the recommended amount on the bag of Stearic acid.

Well, 3/4 of a tsp. pp of vybar was not enough to eliminate weeping so I'll stick with 1 tsp. pp.

I will take your advice and start at 2 T of stearic. It is probably best to experiment with stearic alone before trying a combination of vybar and stearic.

I would. You could try a couple of formulas, but seems I used to go with 2-3T of stearic and a pinch (about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp) vybar.

You could try adding 3 to 9 T of stearic to a pound of wax too. You won't have a seeping problem unless you use too much. I think you may not find that you like the 2T of stearic, though it will not prevent mottling. You will have more success using more stearic.

I've been using stearic because I can get it locally at Michael's. My ENTIRE CANDLE comes out mottled. It does look nice that way though. LOL In reading that guide by Bob Sherman. He gives instructions on how to make a mottled candle. I thought to myself "Well heck, I don't need any help in that area!"

OK, I'm thinking to speed up testing I will try making samples with 2T, 4T, 6T and 8T pp of stearic poured into votive molds. Obviously I wouldn't be able to test the HT or burn characteristics, but I would be able to see the effects on mottling. Also, I wouldn't be able to measure the temperature of only 2 oz wax in my pour pot. Given that the days just keep going by without the time to pour some more candles this may be the best way to make some progress.

I've been following this thread more out of curiosity than anything else. On Nature's Garden site, for Vybar, it says to use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per pound of wax. That's a significant difference from these posts.

From the website:

Vybar 103 candle additive, for use with votive and pillar candles. Helps increase scent throw. Recommended usage is 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. vybar per pound of wax.

Vybar 260 candle additive, for use with container candles. Used to increase scent throw. Recommended usage is 1/4 - 1/2 tsp vybar per pound of wax.

I've been using stearic because I can get it locally at Michael's. My ENTIRE CANDLE comes out mottled. It does look nice that way though. LOL In reading that guide by Bob Sherman. He gives instructions on how to make a mottled candle. I thought to myself "Well heck, I don't need any help in that area!"

Depends on how much stearic you're using though. I get very little mottle most of the time but I'm using quite a bit of stearic too.

Perhaps the 1/4 - 1/2 tsp vybar pp recommendation assumes you are using 1/2 oz pp of FO.

I don't think so. I think it's along the lines of thinking that much will help to keep the scent in the wax perhaps. There are some NG fragrances where not even vybar will help bring a scent out.

Edited by Scented

I've been using 1 tablespoon per lb. I was able to pick up some vybar today at Hobby Lobby. I'm getting ready to place my first order from Peak's. I'm so excited!! LOL I've only been playing with votives from a kit I bought at Michael's I am literally not getting any HT at all! Even at 2 oz FO per lb of wax. Lots of mottling and weeping though. :-X

Edited by jluper7297

It is weeping there is too much FO, not all will work anyway (as I have found out). Find 2 or 3 that do work well and then use those when testing waxes for formula changes. If you have a dud, seems like no matter how much you add it will still be a dud.

So I made some samples with various amounts of stearic in votive molds. Even with 8T stearic (12.7% by wt.) there was a little mottling. Based on that I made a pillar using 15% stearic acid. I'll just add a photo so you can see the result. After my first pour I let the wax in the pour pot cool and saw mottling. Looks like maybe I didn't mix the FO enough? The bottom edge of the candle feels rough. Could it be from using to much stearic? Also the CT was weak. Does using to much stearic lock up the scent like vybar will?

post-13374-139458482145_thumb.jpg

So I made some samples with various amounts of stearic in votive molds. Even with 8T stearic (12.7% by wt.) there was a little mottling. Based on that I made a pillar using 15% stearic acid. I'll just add a photo so you can see the result. After my first pour I let the wax in the pour pot cool and saw mottling. Looks like maybe I didn't mix the FO enough? The bottom edge of the candle feels rough. Could it be from using to much stearic? Also the CT was weak. Does using to much stearic lock up the scent like vybar will?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21985[/ATTACH]

Be easier just to use the vybar eh? LOL!

Yes, too much stearic could cause some roughness/brittleness (thus add something else to it if you're going to use that much), however if you're talking at the bottom of that candle, that looks more like pour lines to me (pouring above the initial pour)

No, too much stearic (well not at that load anyway) will not lock up the scent.

As for vybar, it used to be that the 1 tsp was the standard and that was one level tsp.

So this is Pillar formula #2 out of Bob Sherman's book:

1 pound paraffin wax (140 degree)

3 to 9 T of stearic (the amount needed for good results will vary with different waxes. In no instance should less than 3 T be used)

1 oz FO (saying amount may need to be reduced to prevent mottling)

Dye to desire color

Edited by Scented