Can you help me avoid double wicking my large containers?

Wouldn't that be great?

I currently use CD wicks, and my 3" containers burn beautifully with a CD16. Right now, I double wick my 4" containers with 2 CD6s and they burn fine, but I just am not completely pleased. I don't know much about the other types of wicks, including what works well in soy, so I'd love some opinions about anything I can try that will burn a 4" container with a single wick.

I'm using 100% EZ Soy, no additives, liquid dye.

Thanks!

I don't know of any single wick that you can use in a 4" soy candle. I double wick anything over 3". I love the look of the double wick, so I prefer to do it that way anytime I can. I think the only soy that you can successfully single wick in a 4" jar is a parasoy blend. HTH

prairiedweller - THANK YOU! What a huge boost - I'm having a really challenging day and I needed that. I really appreciate your help with the wicking and your compliments!

kaybee - That makes sense, about having to have a blend in order to single wick. I'm going to try the square braids, and if they don't work, then I'll just stick with the double wicks.

Okay, I know that I must be an odd ball or there are others out there that are using the same wicks and just not talking about it! LOL

I use 4 inch apothocary jars and HTP1212 & 1213 wicks (yes, I know they are big!) and they work just fine. I have yet to find any FO/color combination that does not work in my natural wax blend (soy & BW). If the FO is too heavy, I just don't use it! I have a large volume client that sells tin shades along with the candles, not good for use with more than one wick - that is one of the reasons I had to find one that worked. I have been wicking that way for over 4 years and never had a problem. Yes, you will not get the same fast throw - it will take 30-40 mins, but then they will clear the sides of the jar without a problem, as long as you let them burn for a while. If there is any hang up it is because the customer clip their wicks too short.

When I double wicked I found the glass got way to hot and my customers don't follow directions and burn those suckers for hourse, besides never trimming wicks. Me, personally - I would rather have a bit of hang up on the sides than an accident because the jar gets too hot. JUST my experience as I know many candle makers double wick perfectly safely!

Give it a try - Abbie:-)

I forgot - square braid in my experience does not cut it in container candles, they drown out as they are not very stiff, fall over and from I have read and experienced not created really for that type of application - I believe they work better in pillars. Again, just my experience - tried square braid #3 - #5.

I too use the HTP 1212, and I use the KY Soy with cottonseed. I've used the same wax and wicks for the past 4 years, and never had a problem with one wick. It takes off slow, but after a while the melt pool reaches all around.

And if the FO doesn't work, I don't use it. I try to find a similar oil that's not as heavy.

Hope this helps.

Great! Very helpful information. I'll be retesting starting next week, so I'll definitely let you guys know what works. I can't thank you enough for your input - it's wonderful that you will share your trade "secrets"!