Shopping cart help...

OK, I thought I was good, now I am just confused. I have my mind set on using paypal cart and their standart account. It seems that the drop down list- for my scents- can only hold 10 scents... hm, not good as I have waaay more than 10 scents. Ok, so then I look into Mal's... but the issue that I am having is different tax rates for different counties in NY. I charge flat shipping rate and do not need much in the way of customization.

Am I missing something here?

Or is there a cart that may be better for me?:confused:

Edited by EnvyCandles

Paypal does offer more then just the 10 options, trust us we have WAY more then that =)

What you need to do is make your button from the PayPal website like you normally would. There is a option within there that says something about "encrypting or saving your button ON PayPal" you DO NOT want this, so uncheck that option. (Ill get to why in a moment).

Once you create your button and get the html code. Copy that over to say Notepad whatever you use for your html editing. Within that code you will see an area with the 10 you entered (we only do 3 just to get the button made, like A, B, C, then edit it) "<option value="Apple Pucker Blossom">Apple Pucker Blossom </option>" minus the ""s.

So what you want to do is copy and paste one of those lines(or how ever many more you need) and then edit them, so this one we would edit BOTH spots it says APPLE PUCKER BLOSSOM to whatever other scent you have. Repeat this for as many scents as you need. Remember the order you place them will be the order for your button, so if you want alphabetically, then do it now!

Once done, copy all that code and place it on your website where you want it and Wha Lah, a PayPal button with more then 10 selections =)

Now that was fun wasn't it? =)

Oh, btw the reason you uncheck that option on PayPal to save or encrypt the button is if you have it checked, then it will verify with PayPal when someone clicks that button that it is the EXACT button you created on the website. And since you did just edit it, it will error out....Not good for customer service or orders =)

HTH

OK, I thought I was good, now I am just confused. I have my mind set on using paypal cart and their standart account. It seems that the drop down list- for my scents- can only hold 10 scents... hm, not good as I have waaay more than 10 scents. Ok, so then I look into Mal's... but the issue that I am having is different tax rates for different counties in NY. I charge flat shipping rate and do not need much in the way of customization.

Am I missing something here?

Or is there a cart that may be better for me?:confused:

I believe the sales tax you charge is based on the business address regardless of where in your state the customer lives.

Paypal does offer more then just the 10 options, trust us we have WAY more then that =)

What you need to do is make your button from the PayPal website like you normally would. There is a option within there that says something about "encrypting or saving your button ON PayPal" you DO NOT want this, so uncheck that option. (Ill get to why in a moment).

Once you create your button and get the html code. Copy that over to say Notepad whatever you use for your html editing. Within that code you will see an area with the 10 you entered (we only do 3 just to get the button made, like A, B, C, then edit it) "<option value="Apple Pucker Blossom">Apple Pucker Blossom </option>" minus the ""s.

So what you want to do is copy and paste one of those lines(or how ever many more you need) and then edit them, so this one we would edit BOTH spots it says APPLE PUCKER BLOSSOM to whatever other scent you have. Repeat this for as many scents as you need. Remember the order you place them will be the order for your button, so if you want alphabetically, then do it now!

Once done, copy all that code and place it on your website where you want it and Wha Lah, a PayPal button with more then 10 selections =)

Now that was fun wasn't it? =)

Oh, btw the reason you uncheck that option on PayPal to save or encrypt the button is if you have it checked, then it will verify with PayPal when someone clicks that button that it is the EXACT button you created on the website. And since you did just edit it, it will error out....Not good for customer service or orders =)

Oh wow... tons of information that I must try right now!! I really appreciate the help on that!

HTH

I believe the sales tax you charge is based on the business address regardless of where in your state the customer lives.

NYS sales tax is 4%, but each county imposes their own tax % in addition. The location of delivery (or pickup, or show location) will dictate what % tax is required. There are a ton of zip codes in NY, I wonder if I would have to type in each one to get an accurate tax rate???

I don't know about the tax rate thing as far as Mal's is concerned but they DO have a forum which has been very helpful to me. Also, it's EASY to add all the scents you want to in your drop down menu with Mal's (even with the free cart.) Although looks like Ecco provided a workaround with paypal buttons too so now it just looks like you have to decide which route to go again. LOL

Now to the tax rates, I understand what you mean about each district, town, etc. charging a different tax rate...because it's sales tax PLUS district tax, but (I'm not 100% sure), if YOU don't live in those other districts, etc. I don't think you're responsible to charge their taxes even if the customer lives in those areas. I kind of look at it like....if you were doing a farmer's market and a customer came to your booth and bought soap, you wouldn't ask them which district they were from and calculate their tax based on that. . .know what I mean. You'd simply charge the tax YOU are required to collect for YOUR district. I could be wrong though. Do you know for sure you have to charge different district tax rates? Here in CA there are SEVERAL tax rates depending on the location, BUT we as a retail establishment (that I manage...not bath and body) are not required to charge different CA residents different rates based on where they live in CA or where we might be shipping the order to. We are simply required to charge our state and district tax rate for our location/area on every retail sale.

I don't know about the tax rate thing as far as Mal's is concerned but they DO have a forum which has been very helpful to me. Also, it's EASY to add all the scents you want to in your drop down menu with Mal's (even with the free cart.) Although looks like Ecco provided a workaround with paypal buttons too so now it just looks like you have to decide which route to go again. LOL

Now to the tax rates, I understand what you mean about each district, town, etc. charging a different tax rate...because it's sales tax PLUS district tax, but (I'm not 100% sure), if YOU don't live in those other districts, etc. I don't think you're responsible to charge their taxes even if the customer lives in those areas. I kind of look at it like....if you were doing a farmer's market and a customer came to your booth and bought soap, you wouldn't ask them which district they were from and calculate their tax based on that. . .know what I mean. You'd simply charge the tax YOU are required to collect for YOUR district. I could be wrong though. Do you know for sure you have to charge different district tax rates? Here in CA there are SEVERAL tax rates depending on the location, BUT we as a retail establishment (that I manage...not bath and body) are not required to charge different CA residents different rates based on where they live in CA or where we might be shipping the order to. We are simply required to charge our state and district tax rate for our location/area on every retail sale.

Grr, I wish NY made things that simple. If I did a show in a certain county, because the goods were delivered to the client in that county, I only have to worry about that particular tax rate. However, if the delivery of the goods occurs in a different county that I am located then the tax rate would follow the county that the client receives the goods. It may sound stupid, but I listed the primary NY tax rate as 8% and am pulling the zip codes for all the counties that have a different rate than 8$... then uploading them zip code by zip code with the corresponding tax rate.

HOPEFULLY this will solve my problem- I read that paypal cart will use the more specific tax rate if there is a discrepancy.

WOW, right about now I really wish I knew HTML lol... I don't mind putting in the time, I just want to make sure I am doing things right...

BTW, ecco, I may be emailing or PMing you with more questions, if you do not mind... = )

BTW, ecco, I may be emailing or PMing you with more questions, if you do not mind... = )

That's what we are here for Envy =) Best of luck to you and trust us, anyone on this board that has done their own website all wishes the same thing.....that we were HTML wiz's =)