Crock Pot? How do I use it?

So I was at a thrift store the other day and I found a brand new crock pot with a temperature gage so you can heat it to the exact right temperature and even a thermometer that can go in your wax and measure it that way for a really great price. I had previously been using a makeshift double boiler with a pyrex container & getting really annoyed when my water evaporated just before everything got to the right temp.

So now I have this tool that should make everything easier and I'm wondering how exactly do I use it? Do I put the wax directly in the basin and if so how do I get it out again without spilling? For small batches I could fill it with water and still use my smaller pyrex . . I could maybe pick up the crock and slowly pour into my bigger pyrex and then from there pour into my candles or use a ladel or something . . but wouldn't that leave alot of wax behind?

I'm a wee kitchen impared so I apologize if this seems like a really dumb question. I've never actually used a crock pot to cook. Actually since I discovered wax I've done more in the kitchen than most of the rest of my life.

Crock pots are interminably slow for melting wax. So are double boilers. Save the CP for making soap (or actually cooking, like pot roast, brisket, chili & stuff) and get a Presto. I use a ladle with all of my Prestos to transfer the melted wax into pour pots, grab by the handles to pour the last little bit into the pour pot, wipe droplets out with a paper towel and keep on truckin'.

Edited by Stella1952

OK . . . that would make my SO very happy. He was totally jealous when I brought it home (I hadn't realized his crock had cracked).

OK even sillier question. How to the prestos work. Do they even have a temp gage? I don't remember seeing one on any that I'd looked at in stores. What I saw on like looks like the come with steamer pots. Is there a bowl that comes out that I'm just not seeing or is it all just one big cavity. I'm getting the indea that that is the case from Stella's post but I'm sure that that's what scared me away from the ones I'd seen in stores.

Here is a link to candletech do it yourself presto pot. You don't have to make the spout but I find it helpful. Since I inherited mine I never tried putting the spout in myself though. I've seen them at Walmart but they looked a lot smaller than the one I have.

http://www.candletech.com/general-information/do-it-yourself-wax-melter/

Oh wow! How cool is that! I've read several posts on the subject and never came accross that link.

Do you typically just pop the lid off and stick a thermomenter in it every so often then? When I use my double boiler I sometimes clip one of those bulldog paperclips to the side of my container and just let the thermomenter sit. Would that work or is the lid importaint to the way it heats?

I have a Presto Pot too and I'm so glad I got one. I've only been doing 8 oz at a time for testers, but I know it's going to be great for when I need more too. I got mine from Walmart online. I don't intend to put a spigot on it though. With these smaller batches, I just pour the wax straight into a pour pot. I haven't been using the lid.

I'm still getting the hang of it though.

Edited by SuzyK

Prestos have changed in size and price over the years. Mine came with a basket thing but this was for food use and has no purpose in melting wax.

Here's what it looks like:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/260775887188?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

The thermostat thingy plugs securely into the pot, has a dial to set the temp and the cord is a magnetic breakaway type for safety (pulls out of the thermostat easily so less danger of the cord pulling the pot off the counter). It's teflon coated inside and the heating element is contained in the bottom of the pot. The thermostat goes way higher than one will ever need to melt wax. Mine have never seen over 200°F. There's no reason to turn it higher to melt the wax because it will overheat the wax on the bottom where the element is.

I make 7-9 pound batches in mine. I melt the wax in the Presto then transfer to individual pour pots for fragrancing and coloring. I use 2# aluminum pour pots (I have never learned how to pour from pyrex measuring cups without dribbling and they are heavier than aluminum pour pots).

Among Presto users, there are die-hard ladlers and die-hard spigot openers, both think their method of transferring the wax is best. :D I didn't want to fool with the installation, put up with drips from the spigot (or worse), etc. I hold the pour pot over the Presto (so any drips go right back in the Presto) and ladle the melted wax into the pour pot. I keep the pots warm similar to how PamW described, except I use an old electric skillet with water in it. Some folks use electric griddles turned on low to keep their pour pots warm. For safety, I never pour directly from the Presto into the pour pot until the level of wax is about an inch or so. I make sure the volume of what's left in the pot is less than the capacity of my pour pot.

I keep the lid partially on while melting but stir frequently. I clip a thermometer to the side (but not touching the bottom) to keep an eye on the temp. I only use the cover when keeping the wax warm as it tends to overheat with the top on if the thermostat isn't turned way down. If I leave wax in the Presto to melt another day, I cover the pot to keep out dust, debris and car hair.

That's the long version of "how I use my Presto to melt wax." I'm sure you now know more than you ever wanted to about them! :D HTH

Stella, I always like reading your responses. They are VERY informative. And that's exactly how I use my presto pot in my MANY months(8 to be exact):laugh2: of making candles. I just don't ladle because mine already had a spigot when given to me. I do have to be sure and put a piece of cardboard on the floor under where the spigot hangs off the counter and I run a piece of parchment paper or something of that sort down the cabinets or I just might end up with wax all over my cabinets & floor.*shudder*

I never put the lid on my presto while melting/heating wax and only put it on after I'm done & the wax has totally cooled and solidified. I read somewhere that condensation could accumulate and get into the wax if the lid was used......so I don't cause water & wax don't mix.*shudder*

Thank you guys! I showed it to my SO last night and we decided that I need one. He's being good about not beeing too excited about inheriting the fancy crock pot. ;) I think I definately want the spigot. I have never been good with a ladel (it is possible that I am the messiest person in the world.) I'd seen them in the stores but hadn't noticed the temp gage & if I did I was probobly scared off by it only having big numbers. I just couldn't picture how they worked so I would chicken out.

Are they easy to clean?

OH & thank you for the detailed description Stella. You're always so good at making things clear.

I never put the lid on my presto while melting/heating wax and only put it on after I'm done & the wax has totally cooled and solidified. I read somewhere that condensation could accumulate and get into the wax if the lid was used......so I don't cause water & wax don't mix.*shudder*

Ditto. I don't even know where the lid to mine is.

I'm a die-hard spigot user. I wouldn't any more ladle wax than I could flap my arms and fly.

I fill my 4 lb pour pot with wax, add fragrance, stir and then stir some more with a wire whisk.

I've gotten all my Prestos with spigots from Heartfelt.

http://www.heartfeltcandlesupply.com/Misc.html

yesssir.. i have a spigot and a non spigot. The non spigot I keep beeswax in- and you know, never thought twice about putting a spigot in. the spigot i just keep full of my container wax. Unless I'm only pouring one or two, I ladel. If I'm pouring only one or two candles, I put it on the countertop, pull open a drawer below it, and put my pot on top of the scale. That lines the pot up right under the spigot. Open and let flow, and you can measure right there! Rae has a raised shelf hers sit on that allow her to do the same thing, its awesome. But as I said.. unless im measuring out 1lb of wax or less, its easier to just pour straight from the presto into my pour pot, or ladel.

I've never had fragrance in any of mine.. I am looking to get a third for pillar wax, eventually. I dont have need for a large melter, presto's are perfect for me!

...I do have three crocks... two for soap making, one for cookng. LOL

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I read somewhere that condensation could accumulate and get into the wax if the lid was used...
I have been using the lid on my Presto as stated earlier and never had any problems over the years (and different waxes and candle types I have made) with condensation even though I live and make candles in a very humid area. Using the lid is an option, but people shouldn't be afraid to use it if they feel the need.

It's also VERY WISE to keep the lid handy to smother a fire should things get out of control.

If I were filling a 4 pound pour pot, I'd use a spigot, too, but for filling a 2# mini-pour pot, a standard 4 oz. ladle works very well. There's no need to worry about dripping if one holds the pour pot over the Presto. Any minor slops go right back into the Presto. I keep a paper towel handy to wipe the bottom of the pour pot in case some wax has dripped down the side. This rarely happens because one can put the ladle in the mouth of the pour pot so all of the wax goes into the pot, not down the sides. It's NOT difficult.

Try it both ways and see which works better for you. If you don't like using a ladle, you can always drill the pot and install the spigot.

Edited by Stella1952

I too keep my lid close and a fire extinguisher close by just in case of a fire! Accidents can and do happen!! My hubby made me 2 presto pots from the link above and they work beautifully. I paid 20 dollars from wallymart for the pots and he said it costed another 10-12 dollars for the spigot setup. Drips will happern after turning off the spigot but wait a few seconds and it stops completely. Spend the money on a good ball valve and it will control that. I usually pour from the spigot into my pots and color and add fragrance. I have never done it in the presto. I could see it if I was doing the same color and f/o for numerous candles. I clean out the presto by wiping what I can with paper towels and then I add water and get it very hot and run it through the sipgot and that cleans out the spigot. I learned that if I forget to run the hot water through the wax hardens up in the valve and causes problems for the next time I use it. The only thing I dont like about this system is that the spigot could never be drilled low enough for all the wax to be emptied so I have to tilt it when I get to the bottom and that sucker can be hot to the touch but I still love the system.

Tina