Thermometer Help

Hello All! I currently use the glass candy thermometer but looking to upgrade. I recently purchased a Oneida Digital Probe Thermometer (pic attached) from Bed Bath & Beyond and the description reads:

"With its commercial quality stainless steel probe, this digital thermometer allows you to read the temperature of the meat you are cooking even with the oven door closed. Another great feature is the alarm that sounds when the preset temperature is reached. Timer conveniently counts down from 23 hours 59 minutes. Thermometer has a magnetic back and an adjustable stand, so finding a place to put it is easy. Uses one AAA battery (included). Lifetime warranty. "

After getting it home and attempting to use it, the readings were way off which lead me to believe this was exclusively for meat. However I was under the impression that any digital thermometer would work for the purpose of gaging wax temperature. Obviously I was wrong and looking to return the thermometer and try a different kind. Is there anything specific I should be looking for when purchasing a digital thermometer for candle making ?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

~Dreamie

10038811720307P.JPG

You may be right about the thermometer and meat but a thermometer is a thermometer. When you say "way off" can you describe that? Have you tested it with know standards (ice water for 32F and boiling water for 212F), does it read air temp right? How much of the probe has to be in contact with the solution to give a good, steady reading? Is it set to the units you want, Fahrenheit/Celsius?

Hi rjdaines. Yes, it's set to the correct units. Ex: The reading was up to 180 F and steady climbing when the wax just began to liquidfy. It went from 0-180 in like 15sec. I'm not saying the thermometer doesn't work but I'm thinking it's not compatible with wax. Used the glass candy thermometer and got more of an accurate/believable reading which was around 120-125 F. I laid the probe over the pot far down enough that at least 1-2" was in contact with wax.

I use a similar thermometer and it is very accurate. You can check the accuracy by using several thermometers at the same time. Wax is funny stuff, sometimes it seems like it takes forever to achieve melt point and other times it melts quickly and the temp keeps rising to the point you have to remove it off the heat source. You could place the probe in your oven and set your oven and check the accuracy. HTH

Steve

Thanks for your input. Sounds like you guys think it should work also. I'll play around a little more tonight.

@chuck_35550 - Does your themometer specify a use in the instructions? If you don't mind me asking, What brand of themometer are you using?

Thanks

~Dreamie

Digital thermometers should give a fast response time, jumping 50 to 100 degrees on seconds would not concern me. Contacting the probe on a metal surface which is nearer to the heat source may give a higher reading than when the probe is just in contact with the liquid wax. I know that when I have a pot with just 8 oz of wax in it, taking an accurate reading can be a challenge.

Try the Infrared thermometer gun, just point and pull the trigger. Easy to use and readings as accurate as most any thermometer. Use to check temp of pot handle, burning candle flame, temp of burning candle container. Even your own temp, just don't hit anyone in the eye with the beam.

J.Snow

Thanks snowman! I've been seeing the Infrared thermometer around online. I'm having a closer look on those now. "just don't hit anyone in the eye with the beam" Thanks for that tip, didn't know the beam could cause such serious issues .

Thanks again everyone!

I have one of those digital probe thermometers that was given to me and l like to use it in the presto pot but my dear hubby also bought me my very own infrared one because when I tried his to compare, it was reading 5-10 degrees higher than the probe, so I trusted the infrared better. I just set the probe temp in my presto pot to alarm 5-10 degrees lower. At least it lets me keep it at an average temp without getting to high. Once I pour into my pour pot I use the infrared as I add FO, dye & cool to pour temp.

Most consumer grade thermometers are not as precise as you would think. Check the info that came with it and you may see +/- 2 or 3 or even more degrees Fahrenheit. An accurate thermometer will come with a calibration curve as it will have varying degrees of accuracy through out the range in which it is used. A good digital thermometer may have that curve as part of it software and auto-correct. If it has a NIST-traceable certificate, then it includes all of the information to meet today's stringent accreditation demands, government specifications, and ISO 9000 requirements. This information includes serial number, certificate number, model number, calibration test equipment, equipment serial number, equipment calibration due date, NIST test number, unit accuracy, uncertainty, unit test conditions, test points, individual unit's specific test date, unit's next calibration due date, tester's name, and signature of the metrology manager. Chances are you don't have one of these and if you do the calibration is not up do date. The candy thermometers people are mass produced, the temp card is glued on with not an undo amount of care and are not meant to be all that accurate. Oven thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. Infra-red are good but still not as accurate as people think. Digital implies accuracy in people's minds but some of most accurate thermometers are still the old mercury glass bulb ones (which I don't recommend using).

All I mean to say is don't stress over the exact temp you are using but, rather, be consistent is using the same temp on the same device. Don't keep switching between different thermometers, use the same one and same temp that it records when you achieve the cooled results you are looking for.