Sunscreen

Scented

I am not looking to sell this. I desperately need some natural sunscreen protection recipes to try out. The stuff in the stores make my skin crawl and can't apparently stay on long enough to get adequate protection. The last thing I want is to spread zinc all over me for that extra white look lol. I'm looking for something not so heavy on chemicals, but includes zinc and titanium dioxide. Anyone got anything?

Sunscreens are considered OTC drugs by the FDA. Sun protection is serious stuff and while I make every toiletry in my house I buy my sunscreen. Unless you put your recipe through FDA testing, you can't be sure it will provide adequate sun protection. How much active ingredient do you need to create what SPF rating and at what PH level? How long before the actives lose efficacy? What combination of actives is most effective for broad-spectrum protection? I actually know these answers and still do not make it myself because the risk of skin cancer is far too great. Just MO, but I think sunscreen should be bought from people who have gone through FDA testing to ensure the product is safe and effective. That said, Neutrogena makes some excellent mineral-based sunscreens. I have used their baby sunblock for many years; it is zinc and titanium dioxide based. Kiss My Face also makes some nice mineral suncsreens. HTH!

ETA: Your avatar is adorable! :)

Edited by mychellec

That's my problem with Neutrogena, I break out in a rash from it and here it's considered one of the best. I know it's considered OTC by the FDA, but I was hoping people had something tried and tested that I could try out, but thanks for the KMF suggestion. I will look into finding that and see if it's something that doesn't make my skin crawl.

Scented I have the same problem with sunscreen, makes me break out like crazy. The only thing I've found that works is the dry formula "sport" spray on kind, I have to apply them more often (I'm really fair) but I can use them on my face with no issues and no breakouts. That, combined with my mineral makeup foundation thats.. supposedly.. about spf 15, and I havent had any issues even when i was in Maui for a week.

My dermatologist gave me some samples, but they both have chems in it that still cause me to itch, though one appears better than the other. Both are creams with zinc and TD in them, but now my issue is finding a place here willing to carry at least one of these. Sure wish there was a better way for protection, since staying indoors isn't an option for me in the summer.

Never tried this but... http://organicpassion.info/do-it-yourself-zinc-oxide-sunscreen/

Also, I found this on a site once

Concentration of Sunscreens & SPF

Low(SPF 2-5) Moderate (SPF 6-11) High (SPF 12-19) Ultra High (SPF >20)

Titanium

Dioxide <4 % 8 % 12 % 20 %

Titanium

Dioxide,

Micronized 2 % 4 % 6 % 10 %

Zinc Oxide 5 % 10 % 15 % 25 %

Zinc Oxide,

Micronized 3 % 7.5 % 12 % 20 %

I think its from making cosmetics.com. Here is a pdf of making sunscreen from there:

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/articles/11-sun-protective-agents-sunscreens-in-cosmetics-2.pdf

Thanks Jessica. I'll look at it.

Have you tried Coppertone's sensitive skin formula? It's pretty zinc based but not so white it doesn't rub in. They came out with it last year & I'd be curious how it does for you.

Haven't tried Coppertone. I'm trying some Aussie one until Monday. It's basic actives are zinc and TD, which the derm said to have in the formulas. The other that's on order is another said to be for sensitive skin. God, I hate aging. All this sensitivity stuff is for the birds :D

I haven't found that around in my area, but I tried this blue lizard stuff and am trying another brand with a 60 spf (can't think of the name and I didn't bring it home) but damn these sunscreens for sensitive skins are expensive!! It would be cheaper for me to stay indoors lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm using ZinClear IM 50CCT as sunscreen. It is a micronized zinc oxide dispersion (not smaller than 1 micron) and transparent. I've been testing this dispersion for two years now and I can make SPF up to 40 or 50 (I do have a SPF booster as well, quite easy). My family is using my suncreams since two years as well, perfect results, no sunburn etc. of course.

At them moment I'm trying to add it to my shop but unfortunately I have to purchase 20kg which is too much for me, financially and in quantity as well.

In other forums there have been many reviews for products containing ZinClear and I know there is interest for it, so I have contacted other suppliers if they would agree on doing a co-op, but no positive answers so far. Maybe a coop here?

Oh, the product is certified by Ecocert.

Here is a link:

http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterature/dh_0134/0901b8038013410d.pdf?filepath=suncare/pdfs/noreg/324-00303.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

I don't have a solution to your problem because I am a sun worshiper and use very low SPF rating sunscreens. But...my dermotoligist was telling me at my last visit about something they sell in their office. He says it's the best there is and it comes from France. It's somewhere around an SPF60...that must determine the price because he said it is $60. I wanted to tell him to stick it because I would NEVER pay that much for something that I wouldn't use much...if ever.

I figure at my age the damage has already been done. lol

My mother was a sun worshiper too...from a young teenager till just about a year or so before she died. She never had any type of even benign lesions.

I've heard pros and cons about sunscreens. Some people say all of the chemicals in it are bad for you...so I'll believe them. LMAO!

Good luck in your quest. I don't go back to my dermotologist till the end of September so wouldn't be able to tell you the name...and...it might not be available in your area. My doctor is Russian...lol.