Inspired -- Possible solution to Candle Warmers' bulbs for the illumination warmers

missbright81

Okay, so I really love the style of the warmers from Candle Warmers, etc.;however, I do not want to put my customers in a position that they would HAVE to get their bulbs from them, nor do I want to have loads of light bulbs laying around waiting for people's warmers to go out, so I went on the hunt.

I found that Amazon carries the NP4 and NP5 bulbs, but the NP5 has horrible reviews! Fortunately, one of the reviewers left a remedy after being frustrated that the replacement bulbs burn out quickly. She said that a 20 watt version does just fine.

My logic is that they claim that their bulbs are have a more concentrated downward stream of light which may be important for the aurora lamps, but I don't think it really matters for the illumination warmers because the light will be enclosed under the wax/oil and will be reflecting off of the walls of the warmer so the wax should still melt.

Here is the information that I found for the NP5 type:

The style of the bulb = MR 16

The type of base = GU10

The voltage = 120V

I figure the wattage could be between 20 - 25. I have found that 20 is a little (just a little) easier to find, but since most of the warmers I've used have a 25watt bulb, I decided to search for that.

www.bulbs.com has one that comes in a case of six for around $32 dollars per case. They seem to have a same-day shipping policy and are located in MA. $8.90 ground shipping.

www.lightbulbmarket.com has one for 8.58, slightly higher, but I think you can order a single bulb. They are located in OR. $9.30 flat-rate ground shipping.

I read the manual for those warmers and saw that they stated that while it is possible to find bulbs that fit, they won't melt the products. Bull hockey! Unless they are using some unheard of wattage, I'm sure we can find a way around this. I plan to try a couple of different bulbs when I get my order in, and will try to remember to post the results.

HTH

Subscribing to keep up with this--I have or have sold 18 of these warmers, with the assurance that Ace Hardware's bulbs would work. But with the price of bulbs from bulbs.com, I believe it wouldn't be any more expensive to order from Candle Warmers--I don't have the catalog in front of me, but I don't remember them being any more expensive than that.

Subscribing to keep up with this--I have or have sold 18 of these warmers, with the assurance that Ace Hardware's bulbs would work. But with the price of bulbs from bulbs.com, I believe it wouldn't be any more expensive to order from Candle Warmers--I don't have the catalog in front of me, but I don't remember them being any more expensive than that.

Ace Hardware Bulbs? Are you saying Ace has replacement bulbs that will fit into CW's Illumination line?

Home depot has those bulbs also saw them the other day they also carry the 7 watt bulbs for the Scentsy plug in

Sorry Vicky, a 7 watt bulb will not melt a tart in the scentsy plug-in warmers. You need a 15 watt bulb for those per their website. Those are a little harder to find, but I have found them in Menards. Sometimes they're called an appliance bulb. HTH

She is talking about the Halogen bulbs. At least that's what I thought.

Yes, I was talking about the Halogen bulbs. I just figured that it might not be a bad investment to have a few on hand in case my customers can't find replacements. Also, I don't mind waiting on warmers from CW...I don't want to have wait forever on bulbs too.

She is talking about the Halogen bulbs. At least that's what I thought.

I know I saw them at home depot last week. I always check out the light bulb section to make sure they still carry the bulbs for my burners I like to tell my customer that they can get the bulbs from me or home depot.

Edited by Vicky_CO

I don't get it, I was told all new warmers were made to use a bulb made only buy them. All the ones I bought take NP5 and they cost me wholesale $4.?? to sell to my customers for over $8.??. I bought a few but couldn't justify charging that much when other warmers take regular bulbs costing around $1. If they have changed their product and are selling warmers with bulbs that can be bought any where then I'm going to take another look at them.

http://www.tartburners.com/bulbnp5.html "WE ARE NO LONGER CARRYING THIS BULB. SUBSTITUTES ARE AVAILABLE AT WWW.BULBS.COM

NP5 25 Watt Halogen Bulb for use with the Halogen Electric Burners we sell. (Items ending in code 204). Does not fit any other burners we sell."

These are what I have... http://www.candlewarmers.com/images/cache/Product260MAR.jpg?20090313082756

the nubs at the bottom are what makes it different.

Are you all saying the regular halogen bulbs of this size will fit any Candle Warmer tart warmer?

They have the ones that look like yours at home depot they may not be carried at every home depot but they are at mine. They are expensive. I would never buy them there to resell I would have to charge way to much for them.

Edited by Vicky_CO

the nubs at the bottom are what makes it different.

Are you all saying the regular halogen bulbs of this size will fit any Candle Warmer tart warmer?

No. Those nubs are considered the base. The base you are looking for is GU10. The shape you are looking for is MR16. I did see some on homedepot.com, but all I saw were the 35W and 50W ones. I just thought 35W might be too high, but if not, shucks, that's what I'll go with.

Vicky, what wattage do you use?

• 4 months later...

I found a bulb at Lowe's and Home Depot for these warmers, but the only wattage I could find was 20, 35 and 50 watts. The bulbs from candle warmers are 25 watt and do very well with melting my palm wax tarts. I am afraid if I go with 20, they will not melt and the 35 will be too hot.

Any ideas on which way I should go? Thanks much!

I haven't tried, but can tell you one of my customers told me she had replaced a bulb in her warmer with one of those and evidently used the lower wattage because she said it took longer to melt but smelled fine. That makes me think it "could" be a problem with palm wax. Surely they aren't very expensive--I'm going to get one to test next time I'm in one of those stores, but it might be a while because that's not somewhere I normally go! I'm watching this thread to see if anyone else has experience and can help us out. I do wonder how much they cost becase I ordered 24 from CandleWarmers with my last order; they were "on sale" for $3 each--I think they were around $5 or $6 when I had ordered previously, so I didn't get any because I thought I could find them locally for surely no more than that. I ordered these to help out my customers, but would love to be able to tell them they could find bulbs locally.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is kind of old topic, however it gave me a good place to start with bulbs testing with candlewarmers.com's cermic warmers. Been using and selling warmers for years but this brand is new to me, I was concerned what would happen if customers bought other bulbs besides a 25 W Halogen from candlewarmer. Because you know it will happen. Here are my results (of course these are with my tarts) so others may vary.

Using a square warmer, with the 25 W from candlewarmer I had a very small amount of hang up on one side that wouldn't completely melt. I might add that these bulbs can be found a Hobby Lobby.

I also tried the 35W short ones, The wattage is higher but the lighter area is smaller. They come 3 in a package from home depot for around $9. They gave me the same results as the 25 W.

After examing closer I noticed the bulb socket in the warmers are not centered, hence the hang up on one side possibly!

Lastly I tried a 35W Halogen from Menards, Home Depot have these too. Same size as 25 W but 10 watts more. This has done perfectly for me. I have been testing for 3 days with no problems yet. Full melt! I am going to continue with this one here at home for me, just so I know it is doable! If it does not work out I will let you all know. Hope this info will help some not have to drive all over town looking for bulbs to test! LOL

No I really have not had any problem. Surprised me! I have burned now 6 hrs at a time.

Not trying to persuade anyone, one way or the other. I just know how people are, more than likely they are going to buy what is cheapest and convient for them. So I just covering my backside, so I know what to expect.

I am using a my blend of Pillar parafin and Soy container from KY. My melt point is such that they will work with a reg 25 W torpedo or such, but prefer a 40w.

That being said I am a diehard for the old galvanzed tin punch warmers and I don't think the wax in the ceramic gets as hot as they do using a 40W torpedo. JMHO