Testing before selling

Hello guys! I have been reading these boards for months & months but it is my first time posting :) I have been testing for months & have FINALLY gotten my ducks in a row (I think)

I have found a wax I enjoy, a cure time that works for my scent throws, FO ratios for each oil, perfect melt pools with the wicks, and my melt & pour times down. Luckily since I only am currently pouring two different container sizes I have found that my wicking does not need to be changed from fragrance to fragrance (so far). I have been urged by many friends to try to sell my candles at a local fair this summer. Some are requesting/suggesting scents that I have on hand but have not test burned for that particular fragrance. I guess my question is, for those who sell their candles successfully, do you have to go through crazy amounts of testing for each and every individual fragrance that you put out? I refuse to sell a bad product & am terrified that someone will get that one dud & demand a refund or be turned off from shopping with me again. I also don't have time to test endlessly & still be able to pour & cure enough candles to sell by June. Any advice would be so appreciated. I have learned SO much from these boards already :)

Yes I do test each fragrance to make sure it throws well. It may smell strong OOB, but you just don't know until you actually test burn it. I have had fragrance throw like crazy when I pour it, only to find out that when I light the candle, it doesn't throw at all.

The only way to find out, is to do what your customer will do, and that is actually burn that candle. That way you know exactly what you are giving your customer.

I would definitely test those new FOs out before you sell them. Take your time and don't rush the product out the door. People will understand and appreciate that you are doing it right. It will also give you the confidence to talk about and sell your product once you've been through what others will experience.

Maybe set a goal for the holidays - introduce those news ones (if they work out) around that time instead of trying to pressure yourself to deliver in June.

HTH!

Be wary of people asking you to sell scents you haven't tested or don't carry. It happens at every show all the time. No matter how many scents you carry someone will always ask for one you don't have. I only add on new scents if I get multiple requests and only if and when I decide to carry it after it passes my testing.

Sorry to interrupt :) Just wanted to throw in another question. When you do your "pre-sell" testing do you make a whole batch and just pour one candle? Does it harm the wax or fragrance oil to remelt the whole batch again. Or do you just make enough for a couple of candles for testing and then make a full batch?

When I test a new FO, I wick it with three wicks, the size I predict will work, and then a smaller and larger.

Different FO's will perform differently in the wax. This way I can test all three and be certain that I'm properly wicked. Once I find the one I like, I check for throw.

That's kinda what I do except usually by the time the thing has burned down halfway or thereabouts, I know what the throw is like, too. Sometimes ya get lucky and it throws well immediately.

But I always start wick testing before I even think about throw. I start wick testing as soon as it's cooled completely down, usually overnight or at least 6 to 8 hours, depending on the temp in my house.

I make 3 testers with 1 ounce of the new FO. I wick with the wick I use for that same container (not the ones that I may use for one or two FOs that cause a wicking change). I burn the tester all the way to the end. If all goes well, I sell the other two. I always test new FOs to see if they perform the same in all the containers I plan to use for that FO. I test new bottles of the FOs I keep in stock. I also test all new cases of wax. Ditto when I get new wicks to replace ones I have used. In other words, anytime anything changes, I try something new or repurchase (except glassware), I retest to ensure the new thing or ingredient performs just like the old ones. It goes quicker when you know what you are doing. That's why for many seasoned chandlers, testing is no big deal. It's simply part of it. I'd rather know BEFORE I pour a whole bunch of something that there's something different, than to not test and be "surprised." HTH :)

It looks like most of us do pretty much the same thing when testing a new FO.

I always test every FO before it every sees the outside of my house. I do get lots of request for fragrances and of course they will be the biggest sellers in the the minds of the requestor. :)

I make 3 testers with 1 ounce of the new FO. I wick with the wick I use for that same container (not the ones that I may use for one or two FOs that cause a wicking change). I burn the tester all the way to the end. If all goes well, I sell the other two. I always test new FOs to see if they perform the same in all the containers I plan to use for that FO. I test new bottles of the FOs I keep in stock. I also test all new cases of wax. Ditto when I get new wicks to replace ones I have used. In other words, anytime anything changes, I try something new or repurchase (except glassware), I retest to ensure the new thing or ingredient performs just like the old ones. It goes quicker when you know what you are doing. That's why for many seasoned chandlers, testing is no big deal. It's simply part of it. I'd rather know BEFORE I pour a whole bunch of something that there's something different, than to not test and be "surprised." HTH :)

Do you extinguish every 3 hours & let it cool down? or do you burn it non-stop? Do you trim the wick every so often while test burning? or are you testing to see what will happen if the customer doesn't trim?

My test burn periods are 1 hour per inch of container/candle diameter. I trim the wick to 1/4" before every test burn. I record the ROC. If the results match my previous results, I do not do a powerburn because I can predict the results based on prior testing data. When I do initial testing for new containers or a totally new wax brand, I do a powerburn torture test AFTER I do the normal test procedure. When I powerburn, I light the candle and let it burn until it's gone. I do not trim the wick except for when I start the powerburn (1/4").

Edited by Stella1952

It happens that for my candles I generally only need to test 2 size wicks as the larger size is too large for them. I use GG palm and CSN wicks and each wick size tends to be so different than the last that the majority of mine use the same size. But I test just the same to make sure as not all FO/wax combos burn the same.

I also test 1 hr per inch of the jar diameter. My jars are slightly larger than 3 inches so I tend to test for 3-4 hour burns or longer and also keep track of the ROC. I also trim the wick prior to each burn.

Edited by Candybee

My test burn periods are 1 hour per inch of container/candle diameter. I trim the wick to 1/4" before every test burn. I record the ROC. If the results match my previous results, I do not do a powerburn because I can predict the results based on prior testing data. When I do initial testing for new containers or a totally new wax brand, I do a powerburn torture test AFTER I do the normal test procedure. When I powerburn, I light the candle and let it burn until it's gone. I do not trim the wick except for when I start the powerburn (1/4").

Thank you, Stella. So, in a straight-sided jar is one test-burn period enough?

So, in a straight-sided jar is one test-burn period enough?

Not for initial testing. This thread was about testing new FOs (or other components) AFTER one has established the basics for their wax & container candle system - doesn't matter if the container is straight-sided so long as it is a container in which one has established the basic parameters by testing, then powerburning.