HELP>>ideals for boys

Sharon in KY

My granddaughter has to make something to sell. They're suppose to make 15 of same type. So I have plenty of M&P soap base, room and body spray, lip balm, body wash, lotion, aroma beads and all kind of containers. They will buy from each other with the money they make selling their items. So a price of less than $2.00, even that might be too much. Wish I knew more but she is off this week, spring break, and is here to make all this stuff. But Grandma doesn't know what to do. :confused:

What do boys in the 4th grade like? What on earth would they buy for themselves? Please anything???

Edited by Sharon in KY

Do you have any dinasaur, toy, duckie, or cupcake molds. I think boys that age would still go for fun soaps to play with.

Or try a soap-on-a-rope. I think you can use a nylon style string and set it up in the soap mold to make the rope soap if you don't have the mold for it. Maybe put some fun imbeds in the soap or on the rope.

Root beer, cherry cola, and bubblegum flavored lip balms are ones that boys tend to buy from me.

I also see boys come up and smell all my soaps so I know they secretly like them. I think that cherry, lemon, sandalwood, woodsy, vanilla, chocolate, types are ones they tend to like. Not so much florals but sweet fruits and earthy scents or clean scents.

I think they would like monkey farts, reindeer poo, pina colada, sex on the beach fruity types that make them giggle and feel grown up.

:cheesy2:This is Sharon's granddaughter (Sara) I really like these idea thanks for the idea I really appreciate your help!! :-) I think we are going to do monkey farts scent soap on a rope and some body sprays!!! Thanks again

Edited by Sharon in KY

A lot of times what you name a fragrance helps. My boys love fruity smell of Victoria's Secret Love Spell type. I haven't told them that its a dupe of a girls perfume. We call it Monster Farts. Didn't you know that Monsters eat fruit?

Susan

I can't smell any fruit smell in Love Spell, I sell it but don't like it.

Made three samples yesterday, all bad. They looked cute at first but the clear soap turned frosty after sitting for awhile. Now you can't even see the the embed.The is the clear with the one ounce squares cut into it. I used Banana Coconut from WSP. The soap on a rope we made with the clear making it a brownish with yellow and green chopped up M&P in it. Looked gross but the soap mold I was using takes way to much soap and too long to set up. Got my Popsicle molds in today but she isn't thrilled with that ideal. I should not have given her a choice.:rolleyes2

My 8 yr old grandson is here too so now he wants to make soap.:lipsrseal:tiptoe::cheesy2:

Okay, my nephew is in 6th grade and has 4th grade friends as well. "Gross" names would be good like Monkey Farts....or something Star Wars related....(there's a star wars cartoon that's very popular with boys from 4th-6th grade...so it's not just the movies.) My nephew thinks shapes, etc. are cool, but in all honesty, if it has a fun name and a good smell, he's all over it. Surprisingly, he also really likes "confetti" soap...which is the same as just M&P with embeds really (although I do white CP with shreds/chunks in it.). What about "camo" colored soap? Or what about some kind of funky named and labeled lip balm? (That'd be "cheap.") Most that age are still into legos too...you don't have one of those lego block molds, do you? I know time is of the essence. :)

One of my nephew's favorite scents is also vanilla mint...and vanilla sandalwood.

It is all about the name ... fart, slime, etc.

An easy mold is a cupcake mold. I have embedded the green plastic toy soldiers in them - so that the soldiers look like they are slogging through mud. There are all sorts of small toys that could be embedded in the surface of them.

Susan

Well another try with the monkeys in the clear soap and another crap project. My fish from Go Planet were ok but stiff and plastic, didn't like. So we settled on room spray:yay:. Made 15 2oz black bullet bottles with the moneys tied on. Monkey Farts .. finally.. For the girls we made kits to make sticky lip gloss. I thought it would be fun if they made it themselves so Sara (granddaughter) typed up an instruction card. Included 1 oz petrolatum jelly in solo cup, a sliver of lipstick in a small baggie, Popsicle stick for scooping out Vaseline and a lip balm container. All in a little bag and tied. I think they will like them. Naturally I bought almost everything new except the Petrolatum, got it at the Candlemakers Store last year it's white/no color and cosmetic safe, now I need to buy some more. I have made a couple of these lip balms for myself, saw it on a youtube video... here are a few

I start clicking on this stuff and next thing I know, it's dark. Thanks for all your help..

Edited by Sharon in KY

• 2 weeks later...

How about soap dough? That has been a huge boy hit for me.

4oz melt and pour melted

1/4 c cornstarch

1 TB glycerin

This is the official recipe I have but I use a little less glycerin because I found mine to be a bit sticky.

Melt the soap add the cornstarch and glycerin. I mixed mine with an electric mixer as it was cooling. It seems really weird at first but then it starts to solidify as it cools and ends up a big blob. Turn it out onto cornstarch and coat your hands with it. Knead the soap dough. Mine has been sticky at this point but I just let mine sit over night in a blob and it has gotten to a perfect consistency.

You can scent them with all the cool boy scents you have talked about and even color it.

I usually store mine in those little condiment cups from a resturant supply store or bulk store and I have also bought the "play dough" from the dollar store and used those containers but you could easily put it in a ziplock baggie with a label.

The only instructions I give other than playing with it is if it gets too sticky in the water you just let it dry out a bit.

When I gave it out to my testers one boy said it only lasted one bath (but it is fun in the shower too) which disappointed me because I didn't think people would buy it for just one bath but then his mom chimed in that bath was hours long because she couldn't get him to quit playing with it and get out.

Dawn

Suds ~n~ Stuff