Digital Thermometer

While the server upgrade was being done, in the temporary forum a discussion on digital thermometers came up.

I have been looking for one that will withstand the heat of Palm Wax 200C+/392F+, I have found several, however I use a 4 lb wax melt pot, 20cm/8inch deep, and am having trouble finding one that has a clip on the side that will reach a depth of 18 - 19 cm.

If anyone knows where I might be able to pick one up, and that delivers to Australia please respond.

Cheers

Susan

My bad was reading the F side of my candy thermometer so it should have read 200F not 200C. Stella I have a candy thermometer, but I would like a digital one with an alarm.

To Tribalvixen, I considered getting a Sunbeam multi cooker to melt my wax in, however a) I only live in a little house, all my cupboard space is taken, B) I had already purchased a 4 lb pot for melting the wax in, and I was given and old aluminum pot to use as a double boiler, so I could not justify the $80.00 for the Sunbeam. That $80.00 I can put towards my next shipment of wax, I live in the ass end of Australia (Tas), so all of my wax I have to get shipped from the mainland. :(

The digital thermometer you got from NCS I see from the pic on there site it has a pan clip, how adjustable is the clip? i.e. 5.5" (14.0 cm) probe, I need it to reach down a little further by a maximum of 5cm.

Edited by Fiery_WA

I like this one. I use it in soap and candles. It measures over 900 degrees. http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html If you put thermometers in the search area several digitals come up. The prices are better than getting them from candle supply stores.

Mmmmmmmm yes but I want one with an alarm, so I know when the wax has reached the desired pour temp. I know fussy, but that's just me :)

I use an oven digital thermometer that has a silver cord with a probe on the end. Submerge the probe and get accurate readings at your fingertips. There are several options for alarms but if you want the thermometer to warn you of overheating; you need a bbq grill version. It has a remote control that will alert you if your wax is too hot and you can turn the heat off or down. HTH

Steve

Fiery you can get the sunbeam for cheaper at the good guys. I picked mine up for about $65 but sometimes they come on special for around $50. Maybe check out there online store if your far from everything. I understand the space problem my last house had a tiny kitchen I ended up moving my candle stuff to the garage. On my pour pot the clip doesnt fit in relation to the probe for it to be in the right place. I just loop it around the handle so it sits where I want it. It has an alarm which I set at 105C.

Tammy

Fiery you can get the sunbeam for cheaper at the good guys. I picked mine up for about $65 but sometimes they come on special for around $50. Maybe check out there online store if your far from everything. I understand the space problem my last house had a tiny kitchen I ended up moving my candle stuff to the garage. On my pour pot the clip doesnt fit in relation to the probe for it to be in the right place. I just loop it around the handle so it sits where I want it. It has an alarm which I set at 105C.

Tammy

lolz Tammy I would if Tassie even had a Good Guy's, my shopping choices (unless I get it freighted in) are Hardley Normals Hardley Normals or Hardley Normals. I so miss living on the mainland of Australia. I am originally from WA, while the east coast thinks it is remote, at least WA had SHOPS!!

eww hardley normal...you have my sympathy. You could try a 2nd hand shop if there is any there.... or nearby. With the digital thermo I find that one from NCS does work well in either my pour pot or my sunbeam. I love it and its much faster than the candly ones.

lolol second hand shops, well I have a choice of the Salvo's or St Vinnies, I live in Burnie on the NW Coast, the closest half decent shops are a 2 hour drive, and they still wouldn't have what I want, trust me I have tried everywhere here in Tas, as I said it bites the big one as far as shopping goes ....... and for that matter so does the weather, I miss the warmth of WA, but unfortunately this is where my man lives, so I am stuck here.