8 oz mason jar

Melt at 185

175 added fo

145 poured

62-52-18 C wick from Millcreek

Happy FO from MillCreek

1.5 oz fo

Lots of mushrooming - no scent. Photo

is 2 hours into burning. The jar was really hot.

Any suggestions on the hot throw?

post-12462-139458478816_thumb.jpg

Edited by crazzie

Just ordered this wax, can't wait to see what my results are.

Don't think I'll try more that 6% to 8% FO but I'll do a no color and no FO test first.

Soy needs to "cure". At least a week, sometimes two.

I initially tried 464 too. And after a week or two "cure" time I still couldn't smell my candles. I became discouraged, put them away in the cellar and moved on to try another wax. Couple months later my DD wanted a candle to burn in her apartment so I gave to one of them to try... and WOWZERS... the HT was amazing!!!

sbs,

Are you blending the 464 w/ CBA for HT or is there another reason?

Definitely not for HT since 464 is better with that imo. I use it to mainly help with frosting and sink holes, craters (aka the ugly qualities of 464).

Definitely not for HT since 464 is better with that imo. I use it to mainly help with frosting and sink holes, craters (aka the ugly qualities of 464).

Does adding CBA impact your HT? I'll bet in 464 sets up nice with the addition of CBA. Never thought of adding it! I use USA with pretty nice results. Maybe I'll try CBA and get some of it's goodness to rub off - hopefully just not the poor HT part! :)

Does adding CBA impact your HT? I'll bet in 464 sets up nice with the addition of CBA. Never thought of adding it! I use USA with pretty nice results. Maybe I'll try CBA and get some of it's goodness to rub off - hopefully just not the poor HT part! :)

Newbie question: what is USA (other than the country)?

I should be getting some 464 this week, after I see what the pure stuff does, adding some CBA will be on my list of fun experiments to try.

Newbie question: what is USA (other than the country)?

I should be getting some 464 this week, after I see what the pure stuff does, adding some CBA will be on my list of fun experiments to try.

Oh sorry! USA is Universal Soy Additive. I use it to help soy set up nice and smooth on top. I get mine at the Candlemakers Store.

For the life of me, I don't understand the fascination with CBA. Have any of y'all considered trying Excel? The preliminary testing by members showed that while it is not as wonderful as the hype, it has much improved HT from CBA and has a far more manageable structure than CB 135. If I were going to test a different product, Excel would be on the top of my list. ;)

For the life of me, I don't understand the fascination with CBA. Have any of y'all considered trying Excel? The preliminary testing by members showed that while it is not as wonderful as the hype, it has much improved HT from CBA and has a far more manageable structure than CB 135. If I were going to test a different product, Excel would be on the top of my list. ;)

When originally choosing between CBA and CBX, the reviews on the CS website swayed me to CBA. As a newer product, I guess I am waiting to hear more reviews, since I already own pounds of CBA, it might be fun to try some mixing experiments until I see more positive reports. Now, however, the CBX bug is in my brain and I may have to get some.

CBA just looks so beautiful when it sets up with minimal effort. No tempering needed, no additives needed, looks nice when burning. I would use it 'cause I'm lazy! It's just super easy to get beautiful candles with it. That's where the love affair ends (for me at least).

I had high high hopes for Xcel but I decided against it (can't remember exactly why, I'd have to dig up my notes. I'm sure it's a good wax once you get the hang of it.

Soy wax is NOT an easy wax with which to work. There's no free lunch with ANY soy wax. Every single one has issues of some type. Learning to work with individual waxes and compensate for their individual shortcomings holds the most promise of success and satisfaction, IMHO. :)

Soy wax is NOT an easy wax with which to work. There's no free lunch with ANY soy wax. Every single one has issues of some type. Learning to work with individual waxes and compensate for their individual shortcomings holds the most promise of success and satisfaction, IMHO. :)

Yes, for sure!

I heard by adding 2 tbsp. of coconut oil you would get smooth tops and great ht.? I poured at 145 and my tops were smooth as a babies behind!

Another question when I have my wick all set and I want to add color. Which is better liquid or flakes. Do you have to get coloring for just soy candles? Can you us the UV inhibitor?

This forum is awesome - thanks for all the tips!

Im currently working with a fragrance house that produces fragrance compatible with CBA. Do not think any FO will work with CBA. Its really hit or miss with HT unless you go this route. I have also tried the mixing of 464 and CBA and am still waiting on the cure. The appearance is great on them though and cold throw is quite nice. I am currently at around 5 days with the cure but intend to wait about 2 weeks. By no means do I encourage anyone to go this route, just sharing my experiments.

Edited by njcandle

Im currently working with a fragrance house that produces fragrance compatible with CBA. Do not think any FO will work with CBA. Its really hit or miss with HT unless you go this route. I have also tried the mixing of 464 and CBA and am still waiting on the cure. The appearance is great on them though and cold throw is quite nice. I am currently at around 5 days with the cure but intend to wait about 2 weeks. By no means do I encourage anyone to go this route, just sharing my experiments.

I'd be curious to hear what the chemistry is as to why most FO don't work with CBA and what changes can be done to make them compatible. Keep us updated about the mixing experiment.

Another test with Soy 464

8 oz mason jar

Melt at 185

175 added fo

145 poured

62-52-18 C wick from Millcreek

Happy FO from MillCreek

1.5 oz fo

Lots of mushrooming - no scent. Photo

is 2 hours into burning. The jar was really hot.

Any suggestions on the hot throw?

I use 62-52-18 Cotton Wicks from KY Candle for my 8 oz jars too and I get minimal mushrooming. I have been thinking of wicking down because I hate it but it's not affected the burn of the candles so I am not really worried.

I really love my Soy 125 wax from KY.. I have found that it works well with every scent that I have added to it. The hot throw is amazing as is the cold.

Good luck!

Edited by southerngrace