Any Ideas on Whats up with My Votives???

I made these votives last night and am just burning them now to check out the wick.. Burned nice and slow for the first 30 min and then burned a small tunnel very quickly and started pouring out the middle side of the votive.. Anyone ever encounter this?? I am using Ecosoya PB with HTP 52 and CS Honeysuckle at 6%..

post-13183-139458478765_thumb.jpg

Edited by njcandle

As others have said, votives are meant to be burned in a tight fitting container. They are not designed to burn freestanding. They are molded like a pillar but burned more like a container candle. Might want to read up a little on making votives and how to burn them. ;)

Yep....I tight fitting votive holder will work like a charm and the votive should last you about 15 hours.

I did the same thing in the beginning when first making votives and they behaved the same way and barely lasted 4 hours. :)

Standard votives are narrower than 2". 2 inch pillars are a bitch to wick. That diameter is very tricky in soy and palm waxes, but not as tricky as wicking a votive to self-consume without a close-fitting container. This is why votives are intended to be burned in a close-fitting container. While not the best in the west, PB has a very decent hot throw when wicked & burned properly. :)

I guess I gave up on PB because I wanted a pillar (as I have posted elsewhere here) and never went back to it. Only so many hours in a day and I decided to focus on soy for containers and paraffin for pillars. Being rather opaque, I didn't like the was PB didn't glow when it had some color in it. Maybe further experimenting would have found the right color concentration but I put it away. One can't do everything. I still have plenty left so I may come back to PB.

Being rather opaque, I didn't like the was PB didn't glow
I'm not a big fan of soy pillars either, although I have made many. Palm wax makes lovely pillars that not only glow, they have crystals. I think it makes the prettiest pillars of all. :)

lavender_stripey2.jpg