Has anyone heard of this?

I visited a candle site this morning, which for the life of me I can't remember now, but I'll keep looking for it.:embarasse Anyway, they had pictures of two pillars that were beautiful. Plain, but one had a finish on it that looked like velvet; the other had ribbons of satin. Both finishes were part of the candle, not material, and they said it was the latest thing. Just wondering, has anyone heard of this? Or know how you do it?:confused:

The effect is beautiful, I'd love to know where to get it/how to do it.

I love the red velvet ones. It looks like real velvet to me. Since the candles are lit, I'm assuming that it's a burn safe finish. Supposedly, both are made in the US.

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say I think it's the texture of the molds. Wax is a faithful medium for replication of surfaces. All they might have had to do is make a real flocked pillar, then make a mold from it. Same thing with the pretty satin ribbon one.

That's my best guess. :)

Wow! Those are pretty. It sure would be interesting to know how it was done. Nice effect on both. My fav is the satin look. That would be perfect for weddings, graduations, olidays, religious and family gatherings, etc. Very high end looking.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is a finishing step over a hardened candle. Looks like a mass production (not all mass produced candles are bad, LOL) technique that probably takes specialized finishing equipment. Just a guess, but I bet if you see a picture after a long burn it would show the finish as being applied over the candle. Like an overdip, but not.

Cheers,

Steve

Found metallic candle dyes at Bitter Creek:

http://cart.candlesupply.com/Pigment-Color-Blocks-c-404.html

They have silver, gold, and copper dyes. But they are made from pigment and should only be used for overdip pillars and cut 'n carve candles.

I like the black and lipstick dyes too. How well the pillar burns with the metallic overdip I don't know. But it would be interesting to make some and test some out.

But how they got the pretty satin ribbon effect I don't know. Maybe mold design like Stella suggested.

Found metallic candle dyes at Bitter Creek:

http://cart.candlesupply.com/Pigment-Color-Blocks-c-404.html

They have silver, gold, and copper dyes. But they are made from pigment and should only be used for overdip pillars and cut 'n carve candles.

I like the black and lipstick dyes too. How well the pillar burns with the metallic overdip I don't know. But it would be interesting to make some and test some out.

But how they got the pretty satin ribbon effect I don't know. Maybe mold design like Stella suggested.

I spent many hours last night scouring the net for any new finishing techniques and came up with zilch, however, I noticed alot of shops in Europe that have the velvet finish, so my guess is, if these are made here in the US someone brought the technique home with them from a trip. As far as the satin one goes, all I can think is they made 2 width of bands for the ribbon that fit the pillar tightly, spray or dip the candle for the satin, then when it's dry, remove the bands, and put the glitter on. All assuming they don't have the special equipment. The satin one is sold in their wedding section. They start at $20.00 each.

I'am with Stella on this, especially the silver one with the design that circles the pillar. To me it looks like the mold. As far as the velvet looking one it made me think of the sugar frosting dazzle dust you can get from aroma haven. If you get it done just right to me it sorta has a velvet look to it. I have some and have tried it.