When to cut your bars?

Trussell76

Hello!

I just did my first batch on Saturday, and just cut my bars today(Thursday)...They cut pretty well, but it was still hard to keep my cuts consistant, and I was using the metal mitre box from wholesale supplies plus. I used the Krinkle cutter, but it bowed on almost every cut, so I switchd to using my 6" Drywall Knife, and it gave me more even cuts...

Is it just a practice thing, that I will get better with time?

Do you all recomend a good time to cut?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tait

Hi Tait, congrats on your first batch!

Personally, I still use a wood bread slicer and a knife. I have several types of cutters... wire, crinkle, straight blade... but a good old sharp knife and my wood bread slicer still works best for me.

For serious soap makers there are cutters like "the tank" which are wire cutters and will cut a whole log all at once, but its really something I think that is nice to have, not need to have.

sure it gets better with time, and everyone has their favorite methods :)

Edited by LuminousBoutique

Is it just a practice thing, that I will get better with time?
I'm asking myself the same questions, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger! ;)

I'm planning to try cutting with a wire next just to see how that works out. Also need a mitre box or something to keep the cuts more perpendicular... I've been eyeballing it and using a "regular" soap cutter. It's obvious I have no natural talent for cutting soap. :laugh2:For me, this will be a learned skill which will require lots of practice...

I have faith that I'll learn and I bet that you will, too!! :D

Some people gifted me a tank because I couldn't cut a straight bar no matter what I tried and it was more than obvious. I lined that soap up every which way and still couldn't get a uniform bar. I went from pastry to wavy (thinking that'll hide it) and it didn't, to the long blades to just a knife and guides and they were still slanted. Log, slab ... it didn't matter.

I cut most of my soap about three days after I pull it from the logs. I just find it's easier when it's a little harder. If I go full water, I try not to cut for five days or more. I get less soap sticking to the wire or blade that way.

Unfortunately there is no tank I could afford that handles slab molds, so I hang onto those blades.

I make most of my cp soap in the evening and cut it in the morning before I go to work so it sits about 12 hours. It's easy to cut and about the consistancy of a block of cheddar cheese so I can trim the edges easily too. Maybe yours just got too hard before you cut it?

For my regular recipe I usually cut the next day after gelling. If I'm making a milk soap or one that doesn't gell, It might take 2 or 3 days before I can cut it. It just depends on what recipe I'm using.