Wick Trouble

What do you do when you like working with a certain wick that doesn't like working with you???

So far I've had GREAT luck with cd wicks in a cba/464 blend. I'm trying to correctly wick a 10oz frosted tumbler (new jar :smiley2:), 3" diameter, fo oakmoss and amber, no dye, no other additives. My cd 14 leaves hangup and the cd 16 seems to burn too fast with too big a flame. The cd 14 has a nice flame, not too big or small but leaves a thick film too thin to call "tunneling" I believe. Looks like if you took some mayo and spread it on a piece of bread for a sandwich, it's that thick. I'm halfway through the test burn and its not catching up.

CS recommends a Eco 14 for that size jar but I swear I smell something funny whenever I've used Eco wicks so I've abandoned them. Is there something else I can do with the Cd's? Is it dumb to double wick a jar this size? Or do I need to let go of the cd's and try something else?

TIA

A 3" container may need a little more wick, depending on the FO load and the wax. See how the 14 does the rest of the way. It's amazing what can happen during that last half. If it leaves more actual hangup than you want, try a 16. If your FO load is more than 1 oz. PP, you might try reducing that to see if it has a bearing on how the 14 burns. :)

Edited by Stella1952

See how the 14 does the rest of the way. It's amazing what can happen during that last half.

Yes Stella you are so right. It caught up. I have 1/4 left to burn and the glass is pretty much clean. Thank you!

CS recommends a Eco 14 for that size jar but I swear I smell something funny whenever I've used Eco wicks so I've abandoned them. Is there something else I can do with the Cd's? Is it dumb to double wick a jar this size? Or do I need to let go of the cd's and try something else?

TIA

I used to smell the same thing when I tried Eco wicks, weird :confused:

What's this smell on the ECO? I just started this hobby and I am using Eco's...perhaps I should try a different wick to see if I notice a difference.:waiting:

I thought it was just me and my husband because a lot of people use them on here. To me it smells like something chemical-ish... To my hubby he said like something's burning Lol.. It's just a smell that doesn't belong there. You might not have the same experience.

Sounds like you may have a winner. Thats why you test your candle burn all the way to the bottom. Some wax combos don't catch up until the later half of the candle burns down.:smiley2:

I use htp wicks with my para/soy blend. I have a few FOs that leave a small amout of hangup until the very end. I have tried to wick up but the jar gets too hot. Are you saying it's okay to have the hangup until the very end? How far down the candle?

I've just restarted testing again and I thought at least by the 2nd or 3rd burn it should be caught up or no good.

Thanks guys for all your help. :smiley2:

I use htp wicks with my para/soy blend. I have a few FOs that leave a small amout of hangup until the very end. I have tried to wick up but the jar gets too hot. Are you saying it's okay to have the hangup until the very end? How far down the candle?

I've just restarted testing again and I thought at least by the 2nd or 3rd burn it should be caught up or no good.

Thanks guys for all your help. :smiley2:

As long as it catches up at the end, I'm perfectly happy with a little hangup. In fact if your jar is wider on top, it is to be expected. My candles have a hangup until they are 2/3 burned down.

As long as it catches up at the end, I'm perfectly happy with a little hangup. In fact if your jar is wider on top, it is to be expected. My candles have a hangup until they are 2/3 burned down.

Thanks! Great to hear that!! I use a clear tumbler and the hang up is miminual until just below half way. I tried to wick up but the jar got too hot for my taste. Maybe I was expecting too much. :cheesy2:

Ha ha! Never fall in love with a wick.

Remember John Travolta in Civil Action? He started out in the movie in front of a bankruptcy judge. Then the story, with the finish the same as the opening.

He fell in love with a case and didn't know when to withdraw.

Same with wicks. I love ECO's. They burn as well as CD's or better and have less smoke when blown out. But I use other wicks for testing too. TL's and PLY's and square braids, cotton core, and HTP's, etc.

The only wicks that I pretty much wrote off are zinc's and LX series.

Edited by EricofAZ