Approaching wholesale accounts?

Stephanie

What is the most effective way to get a wholesale account based on your experiences? Obviously this would be after scouting the shop to make sure the products would fit. Would you walk in with a box of samples, and follow up later? And how many/what size samples are appropriate? Thanks so much for any advice. :D

I have always been approached. I am not agressive because that is one thing that I have always disliked myself.

If someone approaches you follow through with what you tell them you are going to do. I normally give them a time period of when I can drop off a proposal or set up a meeting with the purchasing agent.

I am going to participate in a wholesale show this Feb. in our state's largest city. If your city offers something like this that would be my suggestion. You get the buyers there that are shopping for suppliers and will not be wasting your time.

HTH.

What has worked well for me, is to call the store, introduce myself and see if they have any interest in my products. I try to keep it very short. I have never been turned down to come and show samples and prices, of course I have not always gotten the account. I don't think just walking into a store is the way to go. I have also gotten approached and referrals from other wholesale accounts. I think what store owners appreciate most is that you are aware of how busy they can be and being patient can make all the difference in the world.

As a retailer I have to agree with Cindy. Many times we are busy with customers, business etc. and just do not have the time to listen to the spiel. What I prefer from companies and yes reps to is an introductory letter, either by snail mail or even hand delivered, addressed to the purchaser. It should contain a little about your company, the product, pictures if possible and an invitation for a further meeting at our convienance. This gives us time to follow up on the product if needed and come up with a time that affords us the chance to sit uninterupted to see you. Occasionally when things are hectic we do forget to contact even if it is something we're interested in, so a second letter or quick call asking if we have any questions etc. if welcome as well.

As a wholesaler myself we follow this advice except that we offer to drop off, (send) a sample when the second contact is made. At this time do we offer information concerning pricing, programs we offer etc.

I prefer to shop myself with print catalogues and second to that online. I do not like the pressure of dealing face to face with most products, it has taken some time to be able to say, thanks for showing us your products, if interested we will call, without feeling guilt for not placing an order right then and there. I suggest if at all possible you have at the minimum brochures if not a full catalogue or an online service they can look at.

Hope this helps.

Wendy

Thank you - I think it's all great advice. I will definitely call first, send info/set up appointment and go from there. I know that I won't be approached because I simply don't have the time to dedicate to craft shows. I can barely fit in the one I do each year.

And Country Crafter, it is very helpful to hear it from a retailer's perspective too. Thank you!

I approached the first couple, now I only go if my customers are begging me to. They want me in their area. :) Most of my wholesalers find me from my packaging. I had a new come in two weeks ago, begging me to fit her in. She has been a pretty good account and has ordered several hundred every week. I have had to hire a girl to come in and help me keep up becaus eof my accounts. I love it when I am approached and I don't think I will have to do the cold sale again.

i agree with the retailer side, although the last one I approched told me she was ordering form somebody else, but I thought I amde this for her I will leave it. I gave her the samples and her next customer in line asked if she was finally going to carry my things and when would she have them, she just loved them you know blah blah, sounded just like a commerical. Well she caught me leaving and has been placing pretty large orders really regula. I was on cloud nine for a week. :)

Guest EMercier

I've been approached. I never knew what to say. At that show we did at MDP, the lady even sent her husband back to talk to me. I'm planning on sending her a sample with a letter and will follow up with a call. She does gift baskets. I also have gone around a nice neighborhood and have looked at the outsides of the stores, I just need to call them. Some I want to visit and see what they carry just to see if they'll even be interest before I call them and waste both of our times, but then again you never know. That's the goal for 2006 - WHOLESALE ACCOUNTS!